September 01, 2014, 10:55:31 AM

Author Topic: Rear AF button  (Read 5529 times)

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Rear AF button
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58:07 AM »
I am hobby photographer and started only couple of years back. For the first year of my photography life I used the "normal" shutter-button-do-both everything process. Meanwhile I learnt the focus and recompose technique - and I was so horrible at it with the "normal" use of shutter button. Sometimes I would press a little too much and take a photograph a frame that I never intended to, sometimes I would forget to keep the "half-press" on and after recompose when press the shutter button the focus will be automatically redone. Ok, I admit I might be at fault here for not being diligent and able to master the "half-press" thing even after a year. But then I read somewhere about the back button focusing and changed my canon 40D's setting to do that. And man it was just like "eureka".... why is not this the "normal" process? what is a "half-press" really? Anyway, I now use back button focusing for all the reasons and benefits that the other CRians have written above. and I am happy. The only flip side is if I have to give my camera to someone for taking a one of photo of me in a group photo. I have to explain to him/her how to "differently" operate my camera than he/she normally does his/her point and shoot.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58:07 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »
The only flip side is if I have to give my camera to someone for taking a one of photo of me in a group photo. I have to explain to him/her how to "differently" operate my camera than he/she normally does his/her point and shoot.

Green square mode overrides the back button AF setting so a half-press of the shutter will AF like people are expecting. If the camera is set to shoot in RAW, it still does.  So unless you have a 1-series body, there's an easy fix for that.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »
I used it for a few days when neuro once suggested to try it.  It wasn't long enough for me because I went running back to the shutter on my next paid job.  I am getting inspired to try it again though via all your comments.

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »
Once I got my first lens with FTM the back button AF was a revelation

RomainF

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »
Thanks a lot for all of your explanations gentlemen.
I'm now convinced i have to try it henceforth i think i got how to use it with your feedbacks.

Leica & Canon
35 1.4 for both ; ultra-wide & teles for the Canon

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
The only flip side is if I have to give my camera to someone for taking a one of photo of me in a group photo. I have to explain to him/her how to "differently" operate my camera than he/she normally does his/her point and shoot.

Green square mode overrides the back button AF setting so a half-press of the shutter will AF like people are expecting. If the camera is set to shoot in RAW, it still does.  So unless you have a 1-series body, there's an easy fix for that.
Indeed.  Green square mode is often the safest bet when in that rare instance I turn my camera over to someone else's hands! 

They are often intimidated by the size of a larger camera like the 7D, 5D series or 1D series, especially if the former are gripped.  Turning it into an overgrown point & shoot for them seems to quell their trepidation...  ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

Great advise.  I have a buddy who is a good photographer but never uses the back button for focus.  Every time I give him my camera, he gets confused.  BTW, he is a Canon shooter.

Back button focus is the great.  My wife who only shoots a few times a year is learning to use it.

Don't understand why anyone would not use it.  THen again I should not call people "idiots" even if ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks a lot for all of your explanations gentlemen.
I'm now convinced i have to try it henceforth i think i got how to use it with your feedbacks.
Let us know how you make out in your transition!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »