November 28, 2014, 01:31:32 PM

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade, could use some advice [Casual/Enthusiast]  (Read 5433 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to upgrade, could use some advice [Casual/Enthusiast]
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »
Normally i would say 6D and 24-105 but just to throw a spanner in the works have you considered the SL1? It's super small and light and together with the 50mm 1.8 or pancake would make a great compact option. Or just get it with the new 18-55 STM lens. Plenty good for traveling around the world. Forget tripods unless you are really into waterfalls and star trails. The image stabilization from the 18-55 should more than compensate.

Traveling is stressful enough without carrying 3 or 4 Kg of camera equipment.

My vote is also for the SL1 and 18-55 STM. Good Lglass will give the best pictures, but it's not known for light weight.... It's one thing to talk about camera weight and size when you are going on a photoshoot for an hour or so.... it's another thing when you are living out of a suitcase for a few weeks.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
Normally i would say 6D and 24-105 but just to throw a spanner in the works have you considered the SL1? It's super small and light and together with the 50mm 1.8 or pancake would make a great compact option. Or just get it with the new 18-55 STM lens. Plenty good for traveling around the world. Forget tripods unless you are really into waterfalls and star trails. The image stabilization from the 18-55 should more than compensate.

My vote is also for the SL1 and 18-55 STM. Good Lglass will give the best pictures, but it's not known for light weight.... It's one thing to talk about camera weight and size when you are going on a photoshoot for an hour or so.... it's another thing when you are living out of a suitcase for a few weeks.

I spent 2 months travelling accross china living out of a suitcase
gear i took was 5Dmk2, 16-35 f2.8mk2, 50 f1.4, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 2x TC mk3 tripod, filters and 15" macbook pro

It was fine
APS-H Fanboy

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »

I spent 2 months travelling accross china living out of a suitcase
gear i took was 5Dmk2, 16-35 f2.8mk2, 50 f1.4, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 2x TC mk3 tripod, filters and 15" macbook pro

It was fine
Have you thought of a second career as a Sherpa :)
I'm not a good person to talk about going light either.... I go on canoe trips and my camera gear outweighs my camping gear....
The best camera is the one in your hands

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
LOL

In hindsight the 70-200 was a bit much as I honestly did not shoot with it much it is quite cumbersome for travel.
I'm thinking the 135 might be a better choice and still take the 2xtc along which gives me a 270 f4 if i want reach
but the 16-35 and 50mm was a really nice combo for normal use and most of my shots were with these 2 lenses
APS-H Fanboy

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:51 AM »
6D + 24-105L.  Done.

Lots of good discussion in this thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15040.0

+1  Given your budget this is an excellent choice

djkmann

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:10 AM »
Since no one has yet asked, I suppose I should...what exactly are you looking for in the new camera?  What features of the XS do you wish to upgrade, or are lacking that you wish to have in a new camera?  What things about the XS make you yearn for an upgrade?

For example, do you find yourself needing more AF points?  More accurate AF points? Better low-light performance?  The ability to customize the controls and features of the camera?  Faster continuous shooting speed?  More megapixels?  A rotating touch-screen?

While the 60D, 6D, and 5DIII - and even the T5i - all offer more features and quality than the XS, one or the other may best fit your specific needs. Depending on how you shoot, how much control you wish to take over the camera, and what features you commonly need, the T5i may provide all you need. Or perhaps you are looking for additional features and controls, in which case the 6D, 7D, or the 60D may have exactly what you are looking for.

And beware, Snapsort doesn't really indicate some of the actual important features and differences - such as menu and Custom Function settings/ features that one camera offers over another, differences in controls, or important details of the AF systems. You are better off reading a real-life comparison / review of the cameras.

As far as new models to come, yes, the 70D should be arriving soon, and then 7DII. But there are always new cameras coming, so you should only worry about them if one of the current cameras doesn't fit your needs, and you wish to wait to see if one of the new ones will.  Or, in the case of the 70D, the release is imminent and thus worth waiting to see what it offers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:10 AM »