December 21, 2014, 02:35:46 PM

Author Topic: When are we gonna get some news on canons next 50mm (hopefully with IS)  (Read 10650 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I'm REALLY interested in seeing the next prime canon release with IS in line with the 24, 28 and 35
hopefully they follow up soon with a 50, i'm hoping its at least f1.8 with IS and sharp wide open. If its 2.8 i'll cry like a little girl
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Here you go, just in case...

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
 ;D

Well they managed f2 with the 35 IS so any upcoming 50 should be at least as fast, and hopefully faster!
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
;D

Well they managed f2 with the 35 IS so any upcoming 50 should be at least as fast, and hopefully faster!

+1.  My guess is 1.4  to 1.8.  Wouldn't be easier for Canon to modify their current designs rather than coming up with one specifically for 2.8?  Although it is interesting that the IS version at 28mm replaced the f/2.8 and not the f/1.8.  Does this suggest that there will eventually be an L at 28mm?

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
;D

I doubt that they can make an f/1.4 lens with IS. I hope to be proven wrong!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
;D

It is technically feasible, a 50mm lens is one of the easiest to design, a IS for f/1.4 would be small and lightweight, just expensive.  I doubt that too many want a $1500 lens.

Canon does price out various designs and marketing then has to decide if a design is going to sell enough to be profitable.  The tooling and startup cost for a new design is high, and a f/1.4 might be extremely high.  Still, it would sell if they keep the price to $1000 and the IQ is high.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Watch, they are gonna replace the Macro 50mm first with H-IS. People love their macros.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
;D

It is technically feasible, a 50mm lens is one of the easiest to design, a IS for f/1.4 would be small and lightweight, just expensive.  I doubt that too many want a $1500 lens.

I believe that it is technically feasible, in principle, but still challenging. IS is forced decentering, and they need to design a fast lens which preserves its good IQ even after some decentering. It is a much harder thing to do than a non IS fast prime, if possible at all.

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
I'm primarily a zoom user (17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f/2.8 IS v1), and my only primes are both macros (50CM and 100 f/2.8 IS). So I think I qualify by my purchases as one of those people who "love their macros."

The 50CM is my only lens without ring USM, and I find its buzzy little AFM motor amusing and annoying by turns. I, too, have been waiting for Canon to update the 50 f/1.4 with ring USM; IS would be a bonus, but I'd spring for a 50 f/1.4 - 1.8 (IS) prime over a redesigned 50mm macro.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:04:08 AM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile

Canon does price out various designs and marketing then has to decide if a design is going to sell enough to be profitable.  The tooling and startup cost for a new design is high, and a f/1.4 might be extremely high.  Still, it would sell if they keep the price to $1000 and the IQ is high.

+1.  Which is one reason why I think the f/1.4 IS makes a lot more sense than the f/1.8.  The f/1.8 is much less expensive than the 24, 28 and 35 mm lenses that were replaced with IS versions.  The IS versions came out at about 850 USD.  The 50 f/1.4 is closer in price to what the older 24, 28 and 35s were priced at, so hopefully, an IS f/1.4 would be 800-900.  I'd expect the IQ of the 50mm IS to fall between the current 50s and the 24-70 II at 50mm, which is fantastic.  The only problem with this line of thinking is that the 50L II would then have to be much better and released first (similar or better than the Sigma 35 wide open and comparable/better than the 24-70 II at equal apertures).  If Canon can not figure that 50L II formula, then a 50 f/1.8 IS starts making more sense. 

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I'm guessing the new 50mm IS will have an f/1.8 aperture.

The IS versions of the 24, 28, and 35 had the same apertures as the non-USM versions of the Canon 24, 28, and 35 primes. If Canon continues to follow the pattern, then they will give the new 50 IS the same aperture as the current non-USM 50mm lens (in this case, f/1.8!)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Prefer tack sharp @ f1.4 to 5.6 - without focus shift. Don't care with IS or not IS. Don't care much about weather sealed. 

Willing to pay up to $700.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:32:48 PM by Dylan777 »
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
The 50mm f/1.4 is, by far, my most-used lens.  I’m with you 100%.

I’m a little concerned that it might be slower in order to accommodate IS, but the 35mm f/2.0 IS gives me hope!  4-stop IS on an f/1.4 aperture would be a dream come true for me!

For those saying “why do you need IS on a non-tele with that big of an aperture?!”, well, some of us need to run and gun in low-light where a tripod would be extremely prohibitive. (for me, alpine starts while mountaineering. “Hey rope team, do you mind if I get out my tripod and and get some shots with mirror lockup?  I know that it’s 2am and dark, windy, and cold but ISO 6400 makes baby Jebus cry…”)

Keep the dream alive!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:37:57 PM by LOALTD »

canon rumors FORUM

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
The 50mm f/1.4 is, by far, my most-used lens.  I’m with you 100%.

I’m a little concerned that it might be slower in order to accommodate IS, but the 35mm f/2.0 IS gives me hop!  4-stop IS on an f/1.4 aperture would be a dream come true for me!

For those saying “why do you need IS on a non-tele with that big of an aperture?!”, well, some of us need to run and gun in low-light where a tripod would be extremely prohibitive. (for me, alpine starts while mountaineering. “Hey rope team, do you mind if I get out my tripod and and get some shots with mirror lockup?  I know that it’s 2am and dark, windy, and cold but ISO 6400 makes baby Jebus cry…”)

Keep the dram alive!

I'm with you there, IS is great for low light landscapes to keep the ISO down and ensure optimium aperture for DOF and also for handheld video where it is impractical to use a tripod- mountaineering is one of those applications!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:31:53 AM by insanitybeard »
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
An updated 1.4 with a better focusing motor, bit better sealing and no IS would be great. A second model with a STM and IS for video/people who want IS would be great. IS has its place and yes it can be shut off, but I feel the market is large enough for two versions, say a 50 f/2 STM IS and 50 1.4 (updated).

canon rumors FORUM