December 22, 2014, 01:52:05 PM

Author Topic: When are we gonna get some news on canons next 50mm (hopefully with IS)  (Read 10672 times)

FlashFM

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
A new 50mm will be coming in 2013, as the 35 f/2 gets replaced with a new IS version.
Source: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/two-lenses-to-be-announced-shortly/

Patiently waiting, any hope for a 50mm f/1.2L update? Buying something now dating back to 2006 is making me uneasy.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
A new 50mm will be coming in 2013, as the 35 f/2 gets replaced with a new IS version.
Source: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/two-lenses-to-be-announced-shortly/
Patiently waiting, any hope for a 50mm f/1.2L update? Buying something now dating back to 2006 is making me uneasy.

2006 is comparatively new.  The other 50mm lenses that are 'current' are the 50/1.4 from 1993, the 50/1.8 from 1990, and the 50/2.5 Compact Macro from 1987.  There are many lenses in the current lineup, including many L-series lenses, that were released 15 years ago or more.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

FlashFM

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Should I take the plunge on the L now then, or would you wait? :)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Should I take the plunge on the L now then, or would you wait? :)

There will always be market for the L. Have faith in Canon, they will not kill the L sales. Wait for a good deal and get it, this is what I am doing as well.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
The L sucks.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
Will Canon replace one of the 50's this year? The 1.8 II and 1.4 are still selling like hot cakes. I wish they'd just do a minor upgrade to the 1.4 and release it as a version II. No IS but just USM and rounded aperture blades. Same optical formula is fine, just bang it out already! That wouldn't hurt the L sales would it?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:44:02 AM by Zv »
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
An updated 1.4 with a better focusing motor, bit better sealing and no IS would be great.

+1000

I don't shoot video, don't need IS on a fast 50mm and certainly don't want want it made larger and more expensive to accommodate it.  Just want that #&@$ 'micro' USM replaced with 'ring' USM.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:58:40 PM by DJL329 »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
The 50mm f/1.4 is, by far, my most-used lens.  I’m with you 100%.

I’m a little concerned that it might be slower in order to accommodate IS, but the 35mm f/2.0 IS gives me hop!  4-stop IS on an f/1.4 aperture would be a dream come true for me!

For those saying “why do you need IS on a non-tele with that big of an aperture?!”, well, some of us need to run and gun in low-light where a tripod would be extremely prohibitive. (for me, alpine starts while mountaineering. “Hey rope team, do you mind if I get out my tripod and and get some shots with mirror lockup?  I know that it’s 2am and dark, windy, and cold but ISO 6400 makes baby Jebus cry…”)

Keep the dram alive!

I'm with you there, IS is great for low light landscapes to keep the ISO down and ensure optimium aperture for DOF and also for handheld video where it is impractical to use a tripod- mountaineering is one of those applications!
I am with you too. I cannot see any reason for people to be "against" IS on standard and wide angle lenses. Just imagine when you are a tourist inside  any of the palaces or the great churches. Do you want your wide angle lens to have IS or not ?

Roadtrip

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
An updated 1.4 with a better focusing motor, bit better sealing and no IS would be great.

+1000

I don't shoot video, don't need IS on a fast 50mm and certainly don't want want it made larger and more expensive to accommodate it.  Just want that #&@$ 'micro' USM replaced with 'ring' USM.

+100,000......and I thought I was the only one that felt that way!

infared

• 1D X
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Based on the quality of the Canon 50mm lenses (especially the f/1.8 & f/1.4) it tells me that Canon is not too interested or concerned about a great quality, fine-tuned normal lens for their full-frame cameras.  I think perhaps your hope is displaced here as it appears that Sigma and Zeiss are on the brink of satisfying our needs long before Canon will,(but, you never know!).  Although...I cannot understand why we do not have a stunning, well-priced normal lens for our camera bodies....this continually perplexes me and obviously it perplexes others as well and has for quite some time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:38:06 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile

+1000

Give me Ring USM or give me death!

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
The 50mm f/1.4 is, by far, my most-used lens.  I’m with you 100%.

I’m a little concerned that it might be slower in order to accommodate IS, but the 35mm f/2.0 IS gives me hop!  4-stop IS on an f/1.4 aperture would be a dream come true for me!

For those saying “why do you need IS on a non-tele with that big of an aperture?!”, well, some of us need to run and gun in low-light where a tripod would be extremely prohibitive. (for me, alpine starts while mountaineering. “Hey rope team, do you mind if I get out my tripod and and get some shots with mirror lockup?  I know that it’s 2am and dark, windy, and cold but ISO 6400 makes baby Jebus cry…”)

Keep the dram alive!

I'm with you there, IS is great for low light landscapes to keep the ISO down and ensure optimium aperture for DOF and also for handheld video where it is impractical to use a tripod- mountaineering is one of those applications!
I am with you too. I cannot see any reason for people to be "against" IS on standard and wide angle lenses. Just imagine when you are a tourist inside  any of the palaces or the great churches. Do you want your wide angle lens to have IS or not ?

No, because it will stay at home as I don't plan on dragging around a ~$800 dollar lens on holiday that weighs 200-400g more because of a system that I don't need. I have not needed IS to shoot with my current 50 1.4 ever, 24-70 Mk1/2 or any lens that "needs" IS. Like I said, A 50 STM f/2 with IS for the video and "I want IS" crowd would be great and I may even buy that next to a 50 f/1.4 II but IS on everything is just expensive and heavy~

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I'm quite content with my 50L. If they can make one better, perhaps canon could make me un-content with it.

canon rumors FORUM

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
We've riffed on this a few times before.  Regardless of what you all want, here is what you are going to get in the next 50mm prime - a 100% similar version of the recent IS primes in a 50mm package:

• Non-L
  • IS
  • Sharpness should surpass the 50L (remember, the F/1.4 lens is currently sharper than the 50L already at a few apertures)
  • Modern USM, Very quick AF
  • Internal focusing
  • Lightweight
  • Vastly improved build quality over the lens it is replacing (in this case, the F/1.4).  I own the 50 F/1.4 and the new 28 F/2.8 IS and it is night and day for BQ.  Someone nearly hit me when I said the new 28 was an L lens minus the gasket, but I stand by that statement.  These new non-L primes are nearly as well built as my 100L macro, but not tank-like like my 70-200 F/2.8 IS II.

The above list is a hammerlock going-to-happen list.  Why am I so confident?  They are refreshing all non-L primes right now in this exact fashion.  They've done the 24, 28, and 35, so the 50 and likely 85 are next.  These are twenty year old lenses that need refreshes.

The only debatables are max aperture and filter size.  My vote of what we'll get (not what I want, per se) is F/2 and 67mm.  As the 24 & 28 IS refreshses got 58mm and then the 35mm F/2 IS got stepped up to 67mm, similarly stepping up the 50mm F/2 IS to a 67mm filter makes sense.  Just a hunch on aperture, though.

- A
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:52:10 AM by ahsanford »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

No, because it will stay at home as I don't plan on dragging around a ~$800 dollar lens on holiday that weighs 200-400g more because of a system that I don't need. I have not needed IS to shoot with my current 50 1.4 ever, 24-70 Mk1/2 or any lens that "needs" IS. Like I said, A 50 STM f/2 with IS for the video and "I want IS" crowd would be great and I may even buy that next to a 50 f/1.4 II but IS on everything is just expensive and heavy~

EF 28mm f2.8 weights 185 gm, EF 28mm f2.8 USM IS weights 260 gm. This difference is only 75 gm. I do not know where did you get the 200-400 gm information. If you do not want to bring a $800 lens on a trip then would you bring a $1800 camera body on a trip???

canon rumors FORUM