July 31, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Author Topic: Advice needed: performance of 6D  (Read 5737 times)

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Advice needed: performance of 6D
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:38:05 AM »
Sorry, guys!
But I need some advice: For the high school graduation of one of my sons, I am looking for an Camera. He likes to photograph birds and planes, and now landscape at climbing.
Which Camera? I do not want to spend 3000€ for a 5D3. Would be the cheaper 6D an alternative? How is the performance of this Camera in the field for shooting fast objects? How fast is the Cam saving the images? I know that the image quality is very good.

Or should I buy an 700D first and wait for the 70D or 7D2? How fast is the 700D at RAW continuous shooting saving the images on the card? Faster then my 60D?

(I owned an 7D, but when I photographed with it, I did not use the continuous shooting mode. After it crashed, I use an 60D. But my son tells me, that the 60D takes a lot of time to save the images when the buffer is full. Sometimes he is not able to shoot another RAW series of 10 images for 3-4 minutes.)

canon rumors FORUM

Advice needed: performance of 6D
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:38:05 AM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: performance of 6D
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »
There are a zillion 6D threads here, just have a look for yourself...

But the short answer is that unless the primary purpose of your photography is shooting fast-moving subjects like sports or birds, the 6D is absolutely fantastic.  So just get one :-).

60D taking more than 30 seconds to dump the buffer sounds like hogwash to me, and you can still keep shooting while it's doing it (perhaps you have the world's crappiest SD card?).  Here's what DPReview says:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/9
BTW you can almost double the buffer depth if you turn off "high ISO noise reduction".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:51:29 AM by funkboy »

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 05:26:32 AM »
There are a zillion 6D threads here, just have a look for yourself...

But the short answer is that unless the primary purpose of your photography is shooting fast-moving subjects like sports or birds, the 6D is absolutely fantastic.  So just get one :-).

60D taking more than 30 seconds to dump the buffer sounds like hogwash to me, and you can still keep shooting while it's doing it (perhaps you have the world's crappiest SD card?).  Here's what DPReview says:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/9
BTW you can almost double the buffer depth if you turn off "high ISO noise reduction".

Thanks for this advice. Above which Iso is the high ISO noise reduction visible? Does it affect Raw images too?

@ "60D taking more than 30 seconds to dump the buffer sounds like hogwash to me, and you can still keep shooting while it's doing it": There is an Sandisk extreme 16 GB class 10  card inside,  or an Sandisk uhextreme pro uhs 1 45mb/s . But it is not a "hogwash". I tried it by myself. After about one dozen of RAW images, I was able to shoot 1 image every 3-4 seconds. For about 2-3 minutes. And after that, the buffer was full after less then 10 imgages. And I tried other cards too, which I rented from friends. It is a pity, that everybody is distrustfully and thinks that a poster is not honest.

@ zillions of threads: True, but most of the persons that post, do not own this Camera. And the topic buffer frames are not very often mentioned....

Much thanks for your time to post.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:23:04 AM »
The 6D is a great camera, excellent IQ and low light/high ISO performance.  But, its probably not your best choice if shooting fast moving objects is your son's top priority.  Maybe give him a rain check for a 7DII when its released assuming he already has a decent camera to use in the mean time (the aforementioned 60D?).

I'm a bit surprised by the buffer write time issue you describe.  I've owned 4 Canon DSLR bodies, including some lowly Rebels, but never experienced anything like this.  Your SD card should be plenty fast enough, maybe there is a problem with the camera?
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

daniela

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:32 AM »
The 6D is a great camera, excellent IQ and low light/high ISO performance.  But, its probably not your best choice if shooting fast moving objects is your son's top priority.  Maybe give him a rain check for a 7DII when its released assuming he already has a decent camera to use in the mean time (the aforementioned 60D?).

I'm a bit surprised by the buffer write time issue you describe.  I've owned 4 Canon DSLR bodies, including some lowly Rebels, but never experienced anything like this.  Your SD card should be plenty fast enough, maybe there is a problem with the camera?

I sent it to the German Canon support, because of an sensor problem. They repaired this problem, but refused that my cam is suffering from an speed problem at saving the images on the card. I am sorry, but I just can report this problem. The 7D was my first DSLR, I used analogue SLR before. So I do not have much experience with the DSLR performance. And some month befoer it broke, I bought the 60D as an second body for my children. Now the Cam is about 30 month old, and it would be to expensive to repair this feature.

Your are right, the 6D is just a compromise. But I did not want to spent 2800-3000€ for the 5D3. Maybe I should really buy an 700D and bridge the gap to the 7D2 or 70D.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:48 AM »
5D3 is much better for tracking, shoots 6fps and clearing buffer to CF card is faster than SD. My 6D with Transcend 64GB Class10 UHS-1 shoots 15 RAW images at 4.5fps before slowing down to 1fps. The buffer clears pretty fast and for shooting 10 frames series there should be no problem. However, 5D3 is a better tool for action.
FF + primes !

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
If your son wasn't happy with a 60D he'll be even less happier shooting a 6D for action. Not saying the 6D can't do it but the 60D should be able to do it better. 6D just doesnt seem to fit his style of shooting. Perhaps give the 7D another try, or even a used 1D mark III where buffer clearance and fps will favor his style better :) The 6D is an awesome camera, but it's not for everyone.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
But I need some advice: For the high school graduation of one of my sons, I am looking for an Camera. He likes to photograph birds and planes, and now landscape at climbing.

For birds, you *don't* want a full frame camera like 6d or 5d3 because crop cameras have a 1.6x longer reach - that's why birders that don't want to spend $10000 on a lens have the 7d.

(I owned an 7D, but when I photographed with it, I did not use the continuous shooting mode. After it crashed, I use an 60D. But my son tells me, that the 60D takes a lot of time to save the images when the buffer is full. Sometimes he is not able to shoot another RAW series of 10 images for 3-4 minutes.)

I've got a 60d, and 3-4 min is certainly an overestimation, though the buffer of the 60d is not as deep as on the 7d and the 60d/7d don't support the newests/fastest sd card standard. Anyway, for landscape and climbing, and even for wildlife you don't necessarily do spray'n pray but take selective bursts, so I've never found the 60d buffer limiting myself - and for action, the 6d is for low light shooting and would be a step down (slower fps, worse autofocus).

My advice, even if you are planning to do differently: Use the cheaper 7d/60d and get a good lens like 70-300L or even a tele prime, it's the lens that takes the pictures.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:14:30 AM by Marsu42 »

Delish

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:56 AM »
For birding also consider the price of optics, since longer is almost always better.
A crop camera will give you more pixels on the bird shot at the same range (vs full frame), somethings to consider if you live in a area were birds are not particularly tame.

Here in Norway a nicely used 1DIV costs a bit less than a 5DIII, and gives you a good combo of cost, reach, speed and tracking for birds.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
The 6D is good as long as you use the center point.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:06 AM »
Holy Crap, a 6D for a graduation present?  I wish you were my parent haha.  For my graduation I got a cheap Rebel G film camera for $100.  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Sebring5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
I have a 6d and shoot birds (usually in flight.) It works great. I'm not even considering replacing it with another model camera. Used to have a Rebel T4i and I like the 6d far better. It is much easier to catch the bird with full frame and use Photoshop to crop. I do use the center focus point only, autofocus, a 400mm f5.6 lens and single shot. I could easily afford the 5D Mark III or 1 D X but I cannot see any advantage to switching.

djkmann

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »
Sorry, guys!

Sounds like the 7D would be a great camera for him - great AF system for birds and motion, super fast continuous frame rate, APS-C sensor to give more "reach" to the lenses.  Perhaps with a 70-300mm if zooming in close is always the priority. Or perhaps the 70-200mm f/4 IS for more "general" use beyond just birds and planes, (or the 70-200mm f/2.8 II IS version if he is a super serious photographer).  You could wait for the 7DII if he really needs "more camera" than the 7D offers, but who knows when that will actually come out.

Regarding the buffer issues, as mentioned turn off the High ISO Noise Reduction feature, and make sure you are shooting only RAW and not RAW+JPEG, turn off Peripheral Illumination Correction, and perhaps even turn off Auto Lighting Optimizer and Highlight Tone Priority.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:05:14 PM by djkmann »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
It's really pretty cut & dry.  The 7D is the best sports/action camera short of a 1D series, but the 6D spanks it in high ISO shooting.  If you want a camera right now, you need to decide whether you want the best speed & AF and merely decent high ISO performance (in which case you get the 7D), or vice-versa & get the 6D.  If course the 5DIII has better AF & similar IQ, but it's bigger and a kilobuck more, and you still don't have the pixel density of the 7D that gives you the "reach" factor (and is also responsible for the lower high ISO performance).  Or you can wait 'till the 70D &/or 7DII come out and see how they do, but it may be a while (esp. for the 7DII).

Or you could just figure out what's wrong with his 60D &/or send it in for service, and get him a nice telephoto lens like the 70-300L that will hold its value much better over time than any camera body...

For my graduation, I got a loan payment, & I was glad to get it...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:16:02 PM by funkboy »

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
I have a 6d and shoot birds (usually in flight.) It works great. I'm not even considering replacing it with another model camera. Used to have a Rebel T4i and I like the 6d far better. It is much easier to catch the bird with full frame and use Photoshop to crop. I do use the center focus point only, autofocus, a 400mm f5.6 lens and single shot. I could easily afford the 5D Mark III or 1 D X but I cannot see any advantage to switching.
Sebring5, compared to T4i, could you please tell me if 6D's center focus point attains focus noticeably faster than the T4i or are they about the same? I use a 550D for sports and always use center focus point as its f2.8 sensitive, so AF points count and how fast the DSLR chooses the correct AF points, is not what im after. But I could do with a faster center focus point, AI Servo isnt the fastest on T2i.

A 7D is a big no-no due to its ugly High ISO noise, same as my T2i's. I shoot indoor volleyball, handball and basketball from October to May. I would buy a 7DII in an instant but im pretty sick of Canon and the long await of 70D/7DII. So sick
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:32:32 PM by whothafunk »
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »