October 21, 2014, 01:53:12 AM

Author Topic: 2 Ways the 6D's Wi-Fi Have Proved to Be a (Kinda) Lifesaver  (Read 6074 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
Here's a new blog post on the Wi-Fi functionality of the 6D and some unforeseen ways that it has proved handy:

http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/05/two-ways-the-6ds-wi-fi-has-been-a-kinda-lifesaver/

If you are interested in the 6D at all, I think you will find this an entertaining read.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

Act444

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Ways the 6D's Wi-Fi Have Proved to Be a (Kinda) Lifesaver
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »
I dismissed it as a gimmick as well...but now that I've actually used it a little, I can see where it might actually be useful in the field. For me personally, it might be a good way to browse and delete images without needing to handle the camera- it can be safely in my bag, for example.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:54:11 PM »
A Bit OT

you should write a book on how you do your post processing

I would buy it, i'm many others would too

I like the purple mosquito night pic
APS-H Fanboy

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »
Great blog post, I was curious about the tethered shooting. Now, can I use my iPad instead of an iPhone? You mentioned that you connected it to an iPad for downloading images, wasn't sure if the app lets you do other stuff. The 6D is on my wish list. Do you think I should sell my 5D II for it? My 5D II is less than a year old, prob still worth a few bucks!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »
I dismissed it as a gimmick as well...but now that I've actually used it a little, I can see where it might actually be useful in the field. For me personally, it might be a good way to browse and delete images without needing to handle the camera- it can be safely in my bag, for example.

That's an interesting thought.  It would be interesting to know the battery drain of browsing images via remote device as opposed to reviewing on the LCD.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:50:38 AM »
A Bit OT

you should write a book on how you do your post processing

I would buy it, i'm many others would too

I like the purple mosquito night pic

Thank you.  That is actually the first place I have shared that shot.  It will go on 500px and Flickr today.  I probably will do a photography book at some point, as it seems a natural fit to bridge my writing and photography.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »
Great blog post, I was curious about the tethered shooting. Now, can I use my iPad instead of an iPhone? You mentioned that you connected it to an iPad for downloading images, wasn't sure if the app lets you do other stuff. The 6D is on my wish list. Do you think I should sell my 5D II for it? My 5D II is less than a year old, prob still worth a few bucks!

First, the answer is absolutely yes regarding use the EOS Remote app on the iPad.  It is (unfortunately) still iPhone native resolution, but using the 2x function on the iPad expands it to fill the iPad screen.  I am hopeful that they will release an iPad native app at some point.  I have done remote shooting and review from both devices.  I am actually hopeful that future Canon cameras include the Wi-Fi because it will make Canon more likely to put more support monies into the software to improve it in the future.  I also fully expect some third party developers to leverage this functionality and make it more useful.

As far as the 6D vs 5DII debate - I still had a 5DII body when I purchased the 6D.  I liked the 6D so much better by comparison that I sold my 5DII and bought a second 6D.  If you look on my site, I discuss the 5DII as a part of my logic as to why I bought the 6D over the 5DIII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »

First, the answer is absolutely yes regarding use the EOS Remote app on the iPad.  It is (unfortunately) still iPhone native resolution, but using the 2x function on the iPad expands it to fill the iPad screen.  I am hopeful that they will release an iPad native app at some point.  I have done remote shooting and review from both devices.  I am actually hopeful that future Canon cameras include the Wi-Fi because it will make Canon more likely to put more support monies into the software to improve it in the future.  I also fully expect some third party developers to leverage this functionality and make it more useful.

As far as the 6D vs 5DII debate - I still had a 5DII body when I purchased the 6D.  I liked the 6D so much better by comparison that I sold my 5DII and bought a second 6D.  If you look on my site, I discuss the 5DII as a part of my logic as to why I bought the 6D over the 5DIII

A very thourough and interesting read. Thank you for referring me to it. I think I will end up swapping them. For me image quality is paramount and high ISO usability is my second priority. I recently shot a wedding and even though the church wasn't particularly dim I still ended up shooting at ISO 1600 (it was still under exposed a bit) and I spend a shed load of time with the noise reduction sliders! It surprises me how often I feel the need for high ISO even with flash. Since I have a 7D as a back up I think I'll try and sell my 5D II first and then use the money for the 6D. I reckon the 6D and 7D will make a pretty good combo.

I really can't see any real negatives, I can live with the sync speed and use ND filters or HSS. Quite prefer SD cards as they're cheaper and easier to find (recently ended up with a fake Sandisk CF card). And video is not someting I care about. Might miss the joystick but I reckon the AF will stay at the center for most of the time. How are the other AF points in normal conditions? Does it hunt like the 5D II or just lock on straight away?

I tried one out at a store and have to say it DOES feel right in your hands. And the shutter is very responsive and quiet.

Right, I have just convinced myself now! Time to put the 5D II up for sale!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »

A very thourough and interesting read. Thank you for referring me to it. I think I will end up swapping them. For me image quality is paramount and high ISO usability is my second priority. I recently shot a wedding and even though the church wasn't particularly dim I still ended up shooting at ISO 1600 (it was still under exposed a bit) and I spend a shed load of time with the noise reduction sliders! It surprises me how often I feel the need for high ISO even with flash. Since I have a 7D as a back up I think I'll try and sell my 5D II first and then use the money for the 6D. I reckon the 6D and 7D will make a pretty good combo.

I really can't see any real negatives, I can live with the sync speed and use ND filters or HSS. Quite prefer SD cards as they're cheaper and easier to find (recently ended up with a fake Sandisk CF card). And video is not someting I care about. Might miss the joystick but I reckon the AF will stay at the center for most of the time. How are the other AF points in normal conditions? Does it hunt like the 5D II or just lock on straight away?

I tried one out at a store and have to say it DOES feel right in your hands. And the shutter is very responsive and quiet.

Right, I have just convinced myself now! Time to put the 5D II up for sale!

In all lighting conditions the outer points are preferable to the 5DII's, and of course the sensitivity of the center point is better than, well, just about anything.

PKinDenmark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
Hi Dustin.
Thank you for your interesting and well explained insight regarding 6D and real world applications of its WiFi-capabilities.
Great evening-photos from the river-side btw.

I am new to the 6D, as I have posted about in:    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14139.0
... and I am very confident that my choice of 6D (over the MkIII) was the right one - for me.
Regarding the WiFi I have done only a few experiments sofar with remote shooting from my Samsung Tablet. It was easy to set up, and although the functionality could have been more refined, it seems very practical, and I would expect more to come down the road.
Thank you again - very good inspiration (although the mosquitos in Denmark are probably not my main challenge).

As a side-subject: Regarding the 6D GPS-functionality I would like to know, whether it is possible / likely, that Canon will update the 6D to stop it from draining the battery while the camera is off - due to Internal GPS set to ON.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:06:48 AM by PKinDenmark »
Keen amateur. Current kit: Canon 6D since April 2013. 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8 L IS, 1.4x II TC, 16-35 f/2.8 (I), Tamron 150-600mm. Canon 420 EX flash.

mariusx1

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
Thanks for another great post about the merits of the 6D. Your prior posts are part of the reason I was eventually convinced to get a 6D over a 5DIII (upgrading from a 40D). For me, the 6D is just a better fit and I'm planning to spend the $1,500 saved on better lenses and a few other nice accessories. I'll have the 6D in my hands in less than a month and I can't wait!
6D | 40D | S100 | 17-40 f4L | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-300 f4-5.6 IS | 40 f2.8 | 85 f1.8 | 430EX II

Trovador

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photography Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
A few weeks ago I did a product shoot alone, working the camera (6D), lights and reflector all by myself.  Midway through the shoot and with my back starting to ache a bit from picking up products, placing them in the stand, checking the composition in the camera, picking up and moving the reflector around, etc I realized I had the wifi function and started using it.  Now I didn't have to go the camera to check the composition as I placed the products in the stand and could check perfectly in real time how the light was hitting the product bounced in the reflector as I moved it accordingly, all in the screen of my iphone.  Definitely NOT a gimmick.
Canon 6D+7D; 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS, 50 1.4, 100L 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye
www.ruddyflorentino.com

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
A few weeks ago I did a product shoot alone, working the camera (6D), lights and reflector all by myself.  Midway through the shoot and with my back starting to ache a bit from picking up products, placing them in the stand, checking the composition in the camera, picking up and moving the reflector around, etc I realized I had the wifi function and started using it.  Now I didn't have to go the camera to check the composition as I placed the products in the stand and could check perfectly in real time how the light was hitting the product bounced in the reflector as I moved it accordingly, all in the screen of my iphone.  Definitely NOT a gimmick.

Now that is a very practical application right there.  Excellent point!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Hi Dustin.
Thank you for your interesting and well explained insight regarding 6D and real world applications of its WiFi-capabilities.
Great evening-photos from the river-side btw.

I am new to the 6D, as I have posted about in:    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14139.0
... and I am very confident that my choice of 6D (over the MkIII) was the right one - for me.
Regarding the WiFi I have done only a few experiments sofar with remote shooting from my Samsung Tablet. It was easy to set up, and although the functionality could have been more refined, it seems very practical, and I would expect more to come down the road.
Thank you again - very good inspiration (although the mosquitos in Denmark are probably not my main challenge).

As a side-subject: Regarding the 6D GPS-functionality I would like to know, whether it is possible / likely, that Canon will update the 6D to stop it from draining the battery while the camera is off - due to Internal GPS set to ON.

The GPS drain is a concern for me as well.  I tend to just turn it on on days when I am mobile and shooting.  Even if I am shooting in a fixed destination (that is easy to locate on LR's map), I don't always turn it on.  If there was firmware update that allowed you to power it down when the camera was powered down (Which only seems logical to me), I would leave it on all the time.  The power drain during normal operation is minimal; leaving it on all the time is another story.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »
Thanks for another great post about the merits of the 6D. Your prior posts are part of the reason I was eventually convinced to get a 6D over a 5DIII (upgrading from a 40D). For me, the 6D is just a better fit and I'm planning to spend the $1,500 saved on better lenses and a few other nice accessories. I'll have the 6D in my hands in less than a month and I can't wait!

$1500 is definitely some nice latitude for buying lenses.  If you don't need the more advanced AF of the 5DIII, you definitely lose nothing as far as image quality.  I've actually been happier with my 6D's than any camera I've used before.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »