September 23, 2014, 08:57:47 PM

Author Topic: A good online place to have simple prints made and delivered....?  (Read 3351 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hi all,

My dad was visiting me not long back, and I took some pics of us while he was here.

I'd like to send my images (I shot in RAW and have finished PP) somewhere online for simple prints, much like you'd get in the old days when you took your film to the drugstore. 

Can someone recommend a service? I've heard of Snapfish, is that a good one?

What size am I talking about...4x6 or maybe 5x7? 

What format do I send and at what quality? jpg at 50%?  Tiff?

Do I need to crop my pics to a certain size or will what I shoot out of camera have the aspect ratio of the proper size?

Suggestions and comments greatly appreciated!!!

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

dbuono1865

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: A good online place to have simple prints made and delivered....?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
I like mpix.com.  Good quality, fast and easy. They also have touch up or color correction if needed.
Cameras: 7D, T3i. Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-135 IS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 11-16, Tamron 18-270, Nifty Fifty

Webpage: http://www.buonophotography.com

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »
I like mpix.com.  Good quality, fast and easy. They also have touch up or color correction if needed.

Thank you.

OUt of the 5D3, what is the image size of the jpg if no cropping is done. Will it fit neatly into say, a 4x6 print?

Thanks, I'll take a look at mpix!

cayenne

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »
If you want it to be quick and have a Walgreens close by, www.walgreens.com
Just make sure you uncheck the Automatic Enhancement during the upload, and choose pickup in store instead of having them mailed to you.

4x6 should be fine, and you can export as JPG in RGB at full size if you don't mind the longer upload, or export with a reduced size. Their recommended minimum for 4x6 is 540x360 pixels, but it doesn't hurt to do at least twice or three times as much.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:23:27 PM by ahab1372 »

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »
Hi all,

My dad was visiting me not long back, and I took some pics of us while he was here.

I'd like to send my images (I shot in RAW and have finished PP) somewhere online for simple prints, much like you'd get in the old days when you took your film to the drugstore. 

Do I need to crop my pics to a certain size or will what I shoot out of camera have the aspect ratio of the proper size?

cayenne

MPIX is great.  They have a lot of 2x3 formats available - 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, 20x30, and 24x36 so you don't have to crop from DSLR aspect ratio.  I think they require JPEG - I send full size conversions from RAW via Lightroom.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
People I know have used redbubble - others can also buy your prints, if you choose to let them.

barracuda

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
I use Costco and AdoramaPix.

Costco's online site has printer profiles for their Noritsu and Epson printers (via Dry Creek Photo) and you can tell them not to employ any auto-color correction on their part. My local Costco uses Fuji Crystal Archive paper. They are fast and reliable and will redo photos that you're not happy with. As usual with Costco, prices are very good. I mostly use them for the smaller-sized prints, 4x6, 5x7, etc, but they also do larger prints up to 20x30 in the store as well. They do ship prints in the mail, but if you have a local Costco in your area, all the better. Turnaround is about an hour.

I use AdoramaPix for larger prints. I especially like their Kodak metallic prints, but that paper doesn't work well for all photos. Printer profiles are available for their papers/printers as well.
5D3, 5D2, 6D, 60Da, T4i, SL1, EOS M, G15, G11 converted to 720nm infrared, Powershot S100, Sony RX100, and lots of lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
I use Bay Photo Lab. They do fine work, prices are reasonable and they'll drop ship anywhere you want.

A 5X7 is  $2 and 8X10 is $3.50 (color corrected). Downside is you have to download their interface and it can be a pain in the ass to learn the first time.

The Walgreen's, as suggested, may be good for what you want. I don't care for their work, but they are quick and cheap. I can upload here, and by the time I walk three blocks to their store, prints are ready.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the input.

We don't have a Costco in New Orleans (yet, they're finally building one here, 1st in LA, but not ready to open yet)...so, that's not an option for now.

What size images do ya'll upload for just regular prints  (4x6)? What size jpg or tiff?

Do these places usually by default try to do color correction? I"ve already done all the post processing I want on my images, I don't want any other processing on color....

??

C

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 12:13:05 AM »
You'll be uploading jpg. I don't know any print service that takes a tif.

Do the highest resolution you've got. You'll probably want to use LR or something to set the size (5X7, etc.) so you don't get some weird cropping from the print service.

I'd suggest running a few prints through the Walgreen's or CVS service and see what you think. It's cheap enough you can make corrections if you need to.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
Thanks for the input.

We don't have a Costco in New Orleans (yet, they're finally building one here, 1st in LA, but not ready to open yet)...so, that's not an option for now.

What size images do ya'll upload for just regular prints  (4x6)? What size jpg or tiff?

Send  a JPG at 1800 pixels on the long side

Do these places usually by default try to do color correction? I"ve already done all the post processing I want on my images, I don't want any other processing on color....

Upload to a service that gives you the option of choosing no color correction. MPIX offers this.
??

C

rolsskk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »
Hi all,

cayenne

AdoramaPixis by far the best in the business, in my opinion. They go above and beyond when it comes to customer service, and they routinely have sales on prints.

But I'm honestly confused at how you say you do post production work, but don't want to do any resizing, and don't know about using photos from the 5D3.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 01:15:49 AM »
I have tried mpix many times, and I always disliked the results - dark prints with very low gamut (the reds are basically brown). I get the best results, after my own printer, with Meijer - it is a Midwest chain of stores. Aside from that, Walgreen's and CVS can be good but the results depend a lot on the local store.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 01:15:49 AM »

barracuda

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 06:07:16 AM »
Thanks for the input.

??

C

Again, Costco will ship prints just like any other online printing service, so I wouldn't necessarily rule them out.

Costco supports .jpg, .gif, .tif, .bmp, and .png files.

As far as image size is concerned, I'd upload the full-res versions even if you're just going to print 4x6's since you might, at some point, want to print larger sizes of your images. The only drawback is the time required to complete the upload.

Costco has an option to turn off auto color correction when ordering your prints, which is what I do since, like you, I've already done them in post.
5D3, 5D2, 6D, 60Da, T4i, SL1, EOS M, G15, G11 converted to 720nm infrared, Powershot S100, Sony RX100, and lots of lenses.

barracuda

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention... You have to be a member of Costco in order to use their printing service. I guess that's what you meant by Costco not being an option for you right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »