December 22, 2014, 01:34:05 AM

Author Topic: Is it safe to update the 1Dx firmware on a mac using a file "meant for windows"  (Read 2387 times)

Cannon Man

I just bought the 1DX yesterday and i have to say that it is a monster of a camera!!!!!!
Especially the image quality i get out of it with my TS-E24mm 3.5L II and 85mm 1.2L II primes!!

I'll post few images to anything shot with a 1DX soon..

MY QUESTION is this.. My 1DX came with firmware 1.2.1 and the newest firmware is 1.2.4 on the canon U.S.A website.
I have used a MAC for years now and on the website the 1.2.4 firmware is only found for windows and not mac..

However i downloaded the file supposedly meant only for windows.. But the update file should be exactly the same as it will be when it is available through mac osx later right??

I'm a little hesitant to use the "windows file" on my brand new 1DX..
It feels stupid to wait because i'm 99.9999% sure that it is the same file what will be available for macs.

Anyone know for sure??

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
it should be there for mac?

look harder or take it into the store and get them to update it for you
APS-H Fanboy

AdamF

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
As long as you got the correct .dmg file from the Canon website and you  unzip it, it is easy to install onto the camera.

Just follow the instructions Canon provides in the .dmg file and take the .fir and put it onto a CF or SD card as the instructions tell you.

The only thing that makes the firmware update specific to a Mac is that Canon provides it as a .dmg file.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
As long as you got the correct .dmg file from the Canon website and you  unzip it, it is easy to install onto the camera.

Just follow the instructions Canon provides in the .dmg file and take the .fir and put it onto a CF or SD card as the instructions tell you.

The only thing that makes the firmware update specific to a Mac is that Canon provides it as a .dmg file.
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Cannon Man

I answered my own question by trying it :)
I downloaded the zip file "for windows" and it as the same .FIR file that would be inside a .dmg file for a mac.

It worked.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
... now and on the website the 1.2.4 firmware is only found for windows and not mac..

It was there for Mac OS X v10.8 when I downloaded it yesterday afternoon.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
... now and on the website the 1.2.4 firmware is only found for windows and not mac..

It was there for Mac OS X v10.8 when I downloaded it yesterday afternoon.

+1
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
The only difference is in how the file is packaged for delivery. For a Mac, they package the firmware file and the instructions into a .DMG file that MacOS opens like a Disk Drive, and mounts on the desktop. For Windows, they place the files in a .ZIP archive.

Almost any Mac can open and extract files from .ZIP archives, but a Windows PC generally won't be able to deal with a .DMG file.

The Firmware file (and the instructions, for that matter) is the same for both. It has to be, because the camera doesn't come in Mac or PC Editions!
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM