September 19, 2014, 10:05:41 AM

Author Topic: Seabird colony - change lens or not?  (Read 5920 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: Seabird colony - change lens or not?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
It actually was, it was brilliant.  Apart from my eyes burning up and having frantic boat staff flushing my eyes out with bottled water it really was a great day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
It actually was, it was brilliant.  Apart from my eyes burning up and having frantic boat staff flushing my eyes out with bottled water it really was a great day.

You certainly have my respect and admiration. 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
Paul - thanks again for the info. From what you say, I should take my crash helmet and keep the visor down at all times.

I'm booked up for the end of June so hopefully the sun might shine and the water will be just above freezing. The trip is by the Scottish Seabird Centre and they supply waterproofs for when you're on their RIB. I don't want any crap on my Billingham so it'll be the Tamrac that gets the abuse. Of course the sensible thing would be just to take my camera and sandwiches in a poly-bag from the supermarket and keep it on my lap during the journey. Light, cheap and disposable!

Sounds like the 70-200 is the way to go.

Glad to hear staff were on hand to take care of your eye.

StepBack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 07:27:43 AM »
I'd take one lens each time I go out knowing in advance what I'm looking to do. Of course depending on the area where one stands is unknown to me I would choose the 2.8 and not bother with the 70-200. I would prefer a wide angle prime instead but the 17-40 is compatible with what u want. I wouldn't bother with your issue of changing lenses because it implies u don't know what you're doing. In any event I'd long or not at all in which case I'd have a 500 and leave the driving to someone else.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
I was filming with the Scottish Seabird Centre last week, in North Dunbar though, not Isle of May.  I went with the Isle of May ferry, a rib would be much more fun!

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
I was filming with the Scottish Seabird Centre last week, in North Dunbar though, not Isle of May.  I went with the Isle of May ferry, a rib would be much more fun!

Oh you name dropper! First it was filming Rod Stewart now it's the Seabird Centre. Will I have seen any of your stuff on telly?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 07:08:44 AM »
Crops up on STV now and again, if you see any Daily Record, Sunday Mail, People or Mirror Adverts then I'm likely to have had a hand in them, done insert VT's for STV Sports Awards and Young Scot Awards over last few years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 07:08:44 AM »