October 22, 2014, 11:22:36 AM

Author Topic: 5DIII and 1DSIII does Kashmir and Rajasthan  (Read 6798 times)

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5DIII and 1DSIII does Kashmir and Rajasthan
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »
kasperj, could you share your post processing flow? They're generally pretty nicely done.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »

kasperj

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Kasper Johansson Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »
Mr Marks, thanks for asking.

I used LR4 for all post processing work on these images. I have not tweaked the default presets much, in stead I apply global and local adjustments to fit the individual image to my taste.
Global adjustments:
Exposure slider - here I make sure that the histogram is pushed to the right without introducing clipping of course.
Highlights and shadow sliders - I prefer to modify the lightest and darkest parts of the image using these sliders, and usually do not touch the Tone Curve. Sometimes I will also use the Black slider, and then only to bring up the darks. But my go-to adjustments for overall visual impact are the Clarity and Vibrance sliders. I will apply anywhere in a range between +10 to +50, seasoned to taste. I will ususally not toch the Saturation slider. I think the dominant colors in the scene which are affected by saturation the most, becomes too intense, even with after adding Vibrance.
I also apply sharpening, noise reduction and Post crop vignetting to taste.

Local adjustments:
I find the Graduated filter to be extremely useful tool to balance the exposure, and will pull this out to darken a sky or a foreground.
I use the Adjustment Brush for working on faces/skin/eyes to make the central subject in the image pop. Here I will increase the exposure and clarity on faces as if I had used a fill flash.
This tool has taken a bit of practice to use successfully though, but I find that it can bring you that little extra impact and help draw the attention towards the main subject.

I should mention that this is my workflow for working on the kind of images shown here, i.e. people and street images, where I find that a healthy amount of RAW tweaking is generally desired

1DX l 1DS Mark III

padmasana

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks for showing some of your images. Makes me miss India. Did you just finish your travels there? The sun is blazing this time of year.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
Wonderful shots !!  Love 4 and 6.

Love the way you PP'ed them, great contrast and deep colors.

Really does tell a story.

Love your work!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

JBeckwith

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
All of your images are outstanding.  They are processed perfectly: enough to convey the message, but not too much as to appear overdone.
5D Mark II | 70-200 f/4L IS USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Yongnuo 560 II

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »
Very well done!  Would you mind posting a few original (untouched) images to see what kind of light you were working with?  Thanks!
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
Hi kasperj...I bookmarked this page because I wanted to come back and look at all of the images after glancing at the first few last week. Have you deleted the images? I've opened this thread in different browsers on my computer and now my iPad and the images don't load. I would love to see them!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »

kasperj

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Kasper Johansson Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
Hi Brett,
That is odd, as I havn't done anything that I am aware of which could mess up the links to the images in my gallery. I am happy you found them interesting enough to bookmark my thread though ;) Here is a direct link to the gallery:http://smu.gs/ZKkLQV

Cheers Kasper
1DX l 1DS Mark III

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »
Mr Marks, thanks for asking.

I used LR4 for all post processing work on these images. I have not tweaked the default presets much, in stead I apply global and local adjustments to fit the individual image to my taste.
Global adjustments:
Exposure slider - here I make sure that the histogram is pushed to the right without introducing clipping of course.
Highlights and shadow sliders - I prefer to modify the lightest and darkest parts of the image using these sliders, and usually do not touch the Tone Curve. Sometimes I will also use the Black slider, and then only to bring up the darks. But my go-to adjustments for overall visual impact are the Clarity and Vibrance sliders. I will apply anywhere in a range between +10 to +50, seasoned to taste. I will ususally not toch the Saturation slider. I think the dominant colors in the scene which are affected by saturation the most, becomes too intense, even with after adding Vibrance.
I also apply sharpening, noise reduction and Post crop vignetting to taste.

Local adjustments:
I find the Graduated filter to be extremely useful tool to balance the exposure, and will pull this out to darken a sky or a foreground.
I use the Adjustment Brush for working on faces/skin/eyes to make the central subject in the image pop. Here I will increase the exposure and clarity on faces as if I had used a fill flash.
This tool has taken a bit of practice to use successfully though, but I find that it can bring you that little extra impact and help draw the attention towards the main subject.

I should mention that this is my workflow for working on the kind of images shown here, i.e. people and street images, where I find that a healthy amount of RAW tweaking is generally desired
Thanks for the info. I've almost never used the adjustment brush. You got me inspired to do that now.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
What's up with the lady in #9?

Actually, I have no idea what got her panties in a twist, I wasn't I though ;D
I just jumped in front of her while she was yelling at someone behind me and got away with this interesting shot
She looks like a very sane and reasonable person  ;D I think it was you who antagonized her  ;D
Nice pics ... I like the bleeding chillies, very nice concept.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

fluidmania

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
pictures are not loading up... Can you check again?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »