September 22, 2014, 02:30:25 AM

Author Topic: Suggestions on where I can post an image for feedback  (Read 3969 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Suggestions on where I can post an image for feedback
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
I would like to get feedback on some of my images for in camera and pp critisim both good and bad. Any suggestions?
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

Suggestions on where I can post an image for feedback
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
Re: Suggestions on where I can post an image for feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »
I would like to get feedback on some of my images for in camera and pp critisim both good and bad. Any suggestions?

http://www.photo.net  They allow you to post up to 4 pictures a day for ratings and critique's.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

JBeckwith

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
This may not be the answer you were looking for, but post them here.

From the short time I've been around this site I've seen that most people here are honest and knowledgeable and can give you some decent critiques.
5D Mark II | 70-200 f/4L IS USM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Yongnuo 560 II

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
1x.com forums.  i think any community site which is not too frequently visited every day (e.g. youtube, facewbook) and where the average forum post is not some uniteresting smalltalk is viable. just avoid the spammers-only and pros-only extreme ends.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »

This is one for my kids last day of school and would like criticism and feedback. Thanks in advance.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
Even with the small size, I see what looks like redeye. Did you use a on camera flash? 

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
Even with the small size, I see what looks like redeye. Did you use a on camera flash?

Yes since it was early before their last day of school. If I had not they would have been underexposed or over and the background blown out. There was harsh sun coming from the right side. Again looking for feedback to learn how to overcome these obstacles. I just was not happy with the picture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
The lighting is somewhat flat, but also inconsistently directional.  The sun being on the right means she has some directional lighting, but he's in her shadow, lit mostly by direct on-axis flash.  What bothers me the most is that because of her shadow on him, they appear somewhat lit from opposite sides, with shadows on the sides of their faces that are facing each other - that's incongruous.

A solution would have been to get the flash off camera, ideally in a softbox, placed camera-right at an angle to the subjects.  That would have maintained directionality of light, but added fill from front-right.  A second light at low power or a half-gold reflector at camera left could have been used to slightly fill in the shadows opposite the main light and sun.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
The lighting is somewhat flat, but also inconsistently directional.  The sun being on the right means she has some directional lighting, but he's in her shadow, lit mostly by direct on-axis flash.  What bothers me the most is that because of her shadow on him, they appear somewhat lit from opposite sides, with shadows on the sides of their faces that are facing each other - that's incongruous.

A solution would have been to get the flash off camera, ideally in a softbox, placed camera-right at an angle to the subjects.  That would have maintained directionality of light, but added fill from front-right.  A second light at low power or a half-gold reflector at camera left could have been used to slightly fill in the shadows opposite the main light and sun.

And for a shot like this Nuero's advice is as much as you probably need, your clearly working with a pair of Professional Models.

Getting the Flash Off Camera is the first step, look for someone to Hold the Flash as Nuero suggested, off to the right (several companies produce Flash Brackets, I use the Ring Flash Brackets from RRS with an extension).

Check out Lastolite for soft boxes, and Westcott for Reflectors, you can get soft Boxes to fit just the flash head & Reflectors come in pretty well any size you want.

When setting up for portraits, always give a moment to look behind the Models, Background is So important, Look for a soft dreamy background (If you Can), that with say an f stop of 5.6 will render your Models in Focus, but drop your background out of focus, check for Trees growing out of your Models heads, bright & shinning patches of light reflected, Yellow Buses etc, try to keep the background where possible uniform so it doesn't distract from the main subject, your lovely children.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
If you want to use a more photojournalistic approach (as opposed to a strobist approach), you've got three choices:

1. Bring your subjects to the light.
2. Bring the light to your subjects.
3. Use both available light and strobe light.

In this case, your subjects are in the shade and your strobe lighting is insufficient.

For a quick fix, I would move the subjects into the sun (or position them facing a big reflection). Don't use the flash as your primary key light, use it for shadow fill (if at all). Position your subjects against a background that will allow you to get the proper exposure, and reduce blown-out highlights. Or, better yet, against a dark background that will allow you to use pretty much any exposure you want.

Then take your shot into post and lower highlights and raise shadows.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:36:38 PM by dirtcastle »

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Yeah this was bring camera out after 4 mile run snap some shots then go to work. I did nit even get to edit them till the evening. I went for the bus as a background since it was the last day of school and this was taken on my front lawn. I will have to work on my lighting and technique. Thanks for the direction. I was using the 600ex. I think i may grab another and a ste3 and play with that setup. A few minutes positioning thise would not have been that hard. Thanks nuero for pointing out aspects I never saw. Wish they had a forum for critic here. So much to learn.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Don't buy anything else until you have got this book http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370137769&sr=8-3&keywords=syl+arena It really explains the way Canon flashes work in the different shooting modes Tv, Av, P etc. There is a lot to a simple flash picture and unless you understand what the camera is telling the flash to do then you caan't help to gain control of it. The book had toms of other good info too but was written before the 600/RT system came out so they are not in there, but it is still the best Canon Speedlite book I have seen.

As for your picture, the thing I notice more than the crossed shadows is the overexposed background, this implies, depending on which mode you were in, you had EV compensation turned to a + value or you hit sync speed, something like that, I can't read the EXIF so I don't know what mode you were in.

Had I been shooting it I would have had the camera in Manual mode with the flash in ETTL but turned off, I would have set the camera to 200iso and sync speed, then turned the aperture down (higher value) until the background was a touch underexposed, then turn the flash on. Done. If the subjects were a bit too hot turn FEC down, if too dark turn FEC up, but my experience with ETTL in this kind of situation is it would have nailed the subjects at FEC 0.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Don't buy anything else until you have got this book http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370137769&sr=8-3&keywords=syl+arena It really explains the way Canon flashes work in the different shooting modes Tv, Av, P etc. There is a lot to a simple flash picture and unless you understand what the camera is telling the flash to do then you caan't help to gain control of it. The book had toms of other good info too but was written before the 600/RT system came out so they are not in there, but it is still the best Canon Speedlite book I have seen.

As for your picture, the thing I notice more than the crossed shadows is the overexposed background, this implies, depending on which mode you were in, you had EV compensation turned to a + value or you hit sync speed, something like that, I can't read the EXIF so I don't know what mode you were in.

Had I been shooting it I would have had the camera in Manual mode with the flash in ETTL but turned off, I would have set the camera to 200iso and sync speed, then turned the aperture down (higher value) until the background was a touch underexposed, then turn the flash on. Done. If the subjects were a bit too hot turn FEC down, if too dark turn FEC up, but my experience with ETTL in this kind of situation is it would have nailed the subjects at FEC 0.

Camera   Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Exposure   0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture   f/7.1
Focal Length   90 mm
ISO Speed   160
Exposure Bias   0 EV
Flash   On,
Exposure Program   Manual
Recommended Exposure Index   160
Max Aperture Value   2.8
Metering Mode   Partial
Exposure Mode   Manual
White Balance   Auto
Scene Capture Type   Standard
Lens Info   70-200mm f/?
Lens Model   EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
Thanks, so were both camera and flash in Manual, or just camera?

As you are at sync speed I'd have closed the aperture to f9 or so to darken the background more, or take iso down to 100 and f stop to f8. If you want much less dof then go into HSS as well as shorten your shutter speed and open the aperture, but at the same ratios to keep the background exposure constant, though lower than it you did.

If the flash is in manual then for this kind of thing I'd leave it in ETTL, it deals with subject distance way better and faster than we can. Again to adjust for subject illumination just change FEC.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »
Thanks, so were both camera and flash in Manual, or just camera?

As you are at sync speed I'd have closed the aperture to f9 or so to darken the background more, or take iso down to 100 and f stop to f8. If you want much less dof then go into HSS as well as shorten your shutter speed and open the aperture, but at the same ratios to keep the background exposure constant, though lower than it you did.

If the flash is in manual then for this kind of thing I'd leave it in ETTL, it deals with subject distance way better and faster than we can. Again to adjust for subject illumination just change FEC.

Just the camera. Flash was ettl

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »