November 28, 2014, 08:41:08 PM

Author Topic: Update or add a second body...what to do?  (Read 1829 times)

bonedaddy.p7

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I Like Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Update or add a second body...what to do?
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
So I've been holding out for a 70D or 7D2 for over a year now and have finally hit my limit on patience. I have 2 camping trips later this year and a trip to the NYC area next week and really would love a new body for them. Now, I'm looking at things a bit unconventionally; Fuji X-E1 or a used 7D body. I'm wanting a smaller body at some point for day-to-day shooting, but I will also be needing a more professional body for when I want to be more serious about what I'm doing, so each fills their respective needs. No switching; I have too much glass for me to leave Canon altogether, but I do want that second, smaller body too.

Note that this is only a serious hobby, I do not, nor do I intend to make money with either body.

so...since I am short on time and can only afford one at the moment, do I buy the X-E1 for my casual shooting (which I do less of and will only have kit glass for), or do I get the 7D body that I'll end up trading at a loss in a year (or 5 at the rate Canon is going)? opinions?
Canon XTi, AE-1 Program, Rebel II, Tamron 17-50 VC, Zenitar-M 50/1.7 and a bunch of other cheap lenses (50/1.8FD, 18-55 EF-S Kit, 35-70 Kit, 80-200 4.5-5.6). S100 classic.

canon rumors FORUM

Update or add a second body...what to do?
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: Update or add a second body...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:16 AM »
my fuji x-e1 is my everyday walk around camera...  very happy with it

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 03:31:06 AM »
For me this appears as you would choose between two different requirements:
1) A small, but efficient walk-around option with no lens changes, but lighter - the Fuji X-E1
2) A very nice priced SLR with lots of professional features, although not a full-frame model - the 7D

The price loss of a 7D I would not even consider worth thinking about. It is a very nicely priced camera right now and it will likely remain a valid option at that price point for some time to come. Cameras do not rot away suddenly, just because a newer version came out.

The primary question for you should be: Do you want to be able to switch lenses with your everyday camera or would you be happy just using the kit lens with the Fuji? If you basically want both options, which one is more important?

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:54:40 AM »
I'm liking my X-E1, too.  But for the same money, you could pick up a faster and more feature packed Canon DSLR.  If you're into camping (and I assume wildlife photography?), a weather sealed 7D2 would be a smart choice.  It must be coming some time soon.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:54:40 AM »