September 16, 2014, 06:05:42 PM

Author Topic: What will be your next lens - and can you post a photo to explain why?  (Read 7719 times)

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
Yep, I think the digital age has more or less removed the need for shift/tilt, unless you specifically want to shoot and work from one frame, which some people do.

At Building Panoramics we've moved ours on now.

Having looked at your website, I can only say that I aspire to be able to take pictures as beautiful as yours. If you hadn't said, I would have assumed almost all of the building pictures were taken with a TS lens, so I'm intrigued that you don't. What do you use to correct the perspective?
+1. Stunning images :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

canon rumors FORUM

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Yep, I think the digital age has more or less removed the need for shift/tilt, unless you specifically want to shoot and work from one frame, which some people do.

At Building Panoramics we've moved ours on now.

Having looked at your website, I can only say that I aspire to be able to take pictures as beautiful as yours. If you hadn't said, I would have assumed almost all of the building pictures were taken with a TS lens, so I'm intrigued that you don't. What do you use to correct the perspective?

Am I right in thinking that most make use of (carefully managed) HDR as well?

Many thanks, Deva and Mr Bean. We use photoshop CS6 most of the time to correct perspective. You are absolutely right; all our images are just as you describe, carefully managed bracketed exposures hand blended in photoshop. We do not use an HDR program.

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
My next lens will hopefully be a 24mm f1.4 as my current range jumps from 35mm to 15mm. A bit of a leap there :)

While the Canon 24mm has some softness wide open, I don't mind that, when used appropriately.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
My wife and I do a lot of hiking in venues like national parks, and I typically carry two bodies, one with a wide/normal zoom (17-40 or 24-105) and the other with a telephoto zoom (70-200/2.8IS), along with a 1.4xII.

The 70-200's fixed length takes up a lot of space in the backpack, and mounting/removing the 1.4x as needed is cumbersome and time-consuming, and only adds to the length of the rig.

I would buy a 70-300L today to replace the 70-200/1.4x combo for this application (I would keep the two optics for other purposes), but the "reversed" placement of its zoom and focus rings puts me off.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Canon chose to design it this way. Weird. There may have been a technical reason, but couldn't they have figured out a way around it? They might as well have reversed the action of the zoom ring, while they were at it. I know that if I were to buy one, I would constantly be reaching for the focus ring when I wanted to zoom.

This is also the first Canon white (to my knowledge) that doesn't include the tripod ring with the lens. Again, weird.

Anyway, I'm going to wait a while longer, and see if Canon releases an updated 100-400. then I'll compare that to the 70-300L, and pull the trigger on one of them.
Photographic equipment

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
This is also the first Canon white (to my knowledge) that doesn't include the tripod ring with the lens. Again, weird.

FWIW, neither the 70-200/4L nor the 70-200/4L IS come with a tripod ring, the Canon Tripod Mount Ring A II (W) must be purchased separately.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I would buy a 70-300L today to replace the 70-200/1.4x combo for this application (I would keep the two optics for other purposes), but the "reversed" placement of its zoom and focus rings puts me off.

Have you actually tried it? I have both lenses and I find it quite easy and instant to switch between both placements. Anyway I love the 70-200/2.8 so much that I accept carrying more size and weight most of the time and my 70-300 gets much less use.

As far as I know it is the same for other more lightweight whites, like the 70-200 f/4.

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
This is also the first Canon white (to my knowledge) that doesn't include the tripod ring with the lens.

Have you actually tried it? I have both lenses and I find it quite easy and instant to switch between both placements. Anyway I love the 70-200/2.8 so much that I accept carrying more size and weight most of the time and my 70-300 gets much less use.

To Steb & Neuroanatomist : My mistake, re: the 70-200/4's also not shipping with tripod rings. I should know better, as I owned a 70-200/4 non-IS for about 3 years before upgrading to the 2.8 IS version.

Steb: Thanks for your feedback about your experience with the 70-300. I haven't counted it out entirely; as I mentioned, I'm waiting for the anticipated release of the 100-400. If I do spring for the 70-300, the first thing I will do is test its performance vs. the 70-200+1.4x, to see how the image quality compares.
Photographic equipment

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
The 600 f4 L II ...to get more reach.

Stand by for the picture, I just ordered the lens today.   ;)  :)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
If I do spring for the 70-300, the first thing I will do is test its performance vs. the 70-200+1.4x, to see how the image quality compares.

I hope that's the Kenko 1.4x you are talking about as the Canon does not* work with that lens.

*Disclaimer. Some will tell you the lens does work with the 1.4X Canon, but that is ONLY if you first push the lens out to 300. It is not advisable to use it this way.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:49:22 AM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
If I do spring for the 70-300, the first thing I will do is test its performance vs. the 70-200+1.4x, to see how the image quality compares.

I hope that's the Kenko 1.4x you are talking about as the Canon does not* work with that lens.

*Disclaimer. Some will tell you the lens does work with the 1.4X Canon, but that is ONLY if you first push the lens out to 300. It is not advisable to use it this way.

Re-read...he's talking about comparing the 70-300 vs. the 70-200 + 1.4x, and the Canon 70-200 lenses are compatible with Canon TCs.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re-read...he's talking about comparing the 70-300 vs. the 70-200 + 1.4x, and the Canon 70-200 lenses are compatible with Canon TCs.

Very true. My mistake, I had misread it to mean adding the 70-300 to the 1.4X, I have no idea how that happened. It's been a crazy few weeks. Thanks for pointing my mistake out though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:19:36 AM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
My next lens will probably be the new Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 IS Macro. I still have an old Sigma 18-125 from when I bought my 350D, but is used very seldom because the lens is not really good. I will upgrade my body this year, and with the body I will also buy a new standard-zoom. The EF-S 15-85 is also nice, but the lower price and weight of the Sigma together with the faster aperture and macro capabilities make it the better choice for a everyday lens.

Also on my list for new lenses are the Sigma 30mm f1.4, as a replacement for the EF 35mm f2. Sigma improved the minimum focusing distance for the 2nd generation, which was a killer to me in the first one.

Then there is also 8-16mm again from Sigma which looks interesting, I just have the feeling that I need something wider than the EF-S 10-22. But I will wait with this one until Sigma rolls out the second generation. There are always some nice improvements, and I think it can't be that long until they upgrade it.

tofik

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • My website
My next lens will be 24-105 or 24-70 (i don't know which canon 2.8 or 4, tamron). Why ? Bacause I don't have universal lens like this. For street photo will be the best (i think).
EOS 300V, C30D, C7D, C5D MKIII, EF17-40, EF 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, EF 100 2.8 IS Makro, EF 85, EF 70-200 2.8 IS II, EF 70-300, Nissin 622. EX-RT 600. Jupiter 9(M42)

canon rumors FORUM

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
The next lens for me will most likely be Canon's fish eye zoom. Sometimes even a 14mm is not wide enough, so that's my reason.

What you do not see in that shot of a small hotel in Muscat is that the building surrounds the pool on all sites with the same kind of Arabian architecture style. The latter is what got me to take the shot in the first place, because that pool plus building setup goes back to very ancient roots.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:56:14 AM by AmbientLight »

Deva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
The next lens for me will most likely be Canon's fish eye zoom. Sometimes even a 14mm is not wide enough, so that's my reason.

Oddly, although I do have the 8-15mm, I still would like to get a 14mm - because whilst the fisheye is wonderful, the "fisheye" effect needs to be used with care, with only vertical and horizontal lines passing through the centre of the lens remaining straight. Hence I can do landscapes, but to keep the horizontal level, it has to be in the middle of the frame.

As an example, in the shot below, I was slightly off, and so I got a curved horizon.

canon rumors FORUM