October 23, 2014, 05:27:13 PM

Author Topic: Horrible experience with Adorama camera  (Read 22293 times)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible experience with Adorama camera
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
I have to say that I have used both Adorama and B&H and have been completely satisfied with both and would have no hesitation to recommend them. They are much better than my local camera shop who tend to treat me like any idiot, which of course I may be, but I object to being treated like it.

That's funny!!!!!! LOL!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
Not to devalue your frustration at all, but wire transfers are very finicky things. The slightest irregularity perceived on the receiving end by the receiving bank and the transfer is refused. The fault was probably not Adorama's, I doubt they have a wire house on site.  It was likely the sending bank didn't coordinate properly with the receiving bank, or they would have known that an address was required.

I hope you get your gear soon. Tell us, what did you get? That is the fun stuff!

+1
Wire transfers really can be a pain.
I've never had a problem with Adorama...or B&H for that matter

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »
...I live in NJ and they charge NJ sales tax on all orders, so I also have a financial reason not to buy from them online these days.

You are not going to buy from them because they support your local economy???  Funny how nobody wants to pay tax and yet everyone wants to have their streets paved or to have the police come when they call 911.

Governor Christie would just buy some more cheese burgers with my stipend!  :-)
(BTW...I pay PLENTY of taxes...i live in NJ ..we are taxed to death here..toll roads, bridges, tunnels, pay beaches, etc..etc..etc...I do not need to be chastised for making a perfectly legal choice to keep more of my hard-earned cash in my pocket..just like Apple or Mitt Romney..It's the USA..I look for loopholes...I take my power back wherever possible!)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:34:00 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »
Never had a trouble with Adorama... even once they give me a $200 dlls gift card for price protection (Bough a $1999 85L and 3 weeks later it was at $1799).

If you are reading this Helen Oster...  :)

you Rock!
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

natureshots

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »
Not to devalue your frustration at all, but wire transfers are very finicky things. The slightest irregularity perceived on the receiving end by the receiving bank and the transfer is refused. The fault was probably not Adorama's, I doubt they have a wire house on site.  It was likely the sending bank didn't coordinate properly with the receiving bank, or they would have known that an address was required.

I hope you get your gear soon. Tell us, what did you get? That is the fun stuff!

+1
Wire transfers really can be a pain.
I've never had a problem with Adorama...or B&H for that matter

I decided to take my business elsewhere (B&H). The biggest frustration truthfully was nasty phone calls Friday morning from the sales representative Israel. I told him I would wire on Friday and I get calls which I could not answer at the time saying that the order shouldn't be in if I'm not going to pay for it. Who does that? Then I leave him a message and say the transfer will be completed on Monday and I get the same obnoxious phone calls Monday and he's demanding to see a receipt not just the transfer papers. Then I call up that evening when the money was transferred and I was referred to a foreign call center (not sure where) who can't get in contact with their accounting. I had to call several people who promised return phone calls that never came until I got annoyed and demanded to speak with someone who could tell me where the money was and what had happened. The failure of the transfer was just the icing on the cake. I am fairly ignorant to financial matters but I really don't see how they can refuse a transfer without any attempt to verify information and then refuse to take any responsibility for their actions. I'm getting a 600mm f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 1DX and a sizeable amount of less notable purchases.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
To the OP: am I correct in understanding from your description that you placed a high dollar order with Adorama without either knowing your credit card limit or knowing you were over the limit at the time you placed the order and figured you could sort it out later? If that is correct, then I think you need to reconsider where you are placing blame. If my understanding is not correct, then please clarify.

Try reading what the Op has actually said before Pontificating, The Guy "wire" Transferred the Money, it arrived 24 hours late, Adorama Personnel got "Rule Bound" and effectively told him to take a hike, unless I've read it wrong, and I think I read it right.

Well Natureshot, welcome to the world of Big Business, and the Bigger Egos that work for Big Business (and generally don't much give a hoot about Adorama, as long as the Pay Checks in the Mail), I at least appreciate your frustration and your attempt to warn us of your treatment & frustration with Adorama, situations like this do colour my future decisions on purchases.

As has been suggested in previous Posts, at the end of the Day you control the situation, albeit with some time delay, take your Business else where, hopefully B&H will appreciate you more as a customer, if they do, they get 20k in Business right now & the distinct possibility of another 20k over the next 10 years, we are Photographers, it's almost a Guarantee.

Then, when you get your Lovely new 1Dx, 600f/4 & 70-200f/2.8, sit in the bright sunshine and just, enjoy.

In a day or two you wont give a Flying Frog about Adorama.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
...I live in NJ and they charge NJ sales tax on all orders, so I also have a financial reason not to buy from them online these days.

You are not going to buy from them because they support your local economy???  Funny how nobody wants to pay tax and yet everyone wants to have their streets paved or to have the police come when they call 911.

(BTW...I pay PLENTY of taxes...i live in NJ ..we are taxed to death here..toll roads, bridges, tunnels, pay beaches, etc..etc..etc...I do not need to be chastised for making a perfectly legal choice to keep more of my hard-earned cash in my pocket..just like Apple or Mitt Romney..It's the USA..I look for loopholes...I take my power back wherever possible!)

In this case it's not a loophole - you are legally required to pay taxes on those purchases, whether the business collects it at the time of sale or not. Very few people do, though, so the Marketplace Fairness Act has been created so that out of state businesses will have to collect it up front.

Here's the specific (current) law in NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/su_5.shtml

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »
sorry but i side with adorama on this. you ordered something without having the funds to cover it until days later. man,they get stuff cleared and out the door very quickly, you have to be ready to go when you order something. it used to be with them and B&H if i ordered stuff from them before about noon, i would have it in my hands the next day. for whatever reason adorama and B&H aren't that fast anymore, so it takes an extra day, but either way they are both fantastic. I have a good friend that had a similar exp with amazon. I blamed him too.  but no big deal, you got your stuff, and all is now well. looks like you're loaded for bear, have fun.

My Berlebach (B&H) just arrived today.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »

In this case it's not a loophole - you are legally required to pay taxes on those purchases, whether the business collects it at the time of sale or not. Very few people do, though, so the Marketplace Fairness Act has been created so that out of state businesses will have to collect it up front.

Here's the specific (current) law in NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/su_5.shtml

Quite right.  In any case, Adorama has a warehouse in NJ -- I've had items shipped from it -- so they are legally bound to collect taxes for all orders shipping to NJ.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

Ok..I misspoke (knowingly), it is not a loophole...But it is a law that is NOT enforced. i am just speaking frankly. Since you have gone out of your way to specifically point this out to me...do you pay your state sales tax on ALL of your Internet purchases??? (If you say yes...I will not believe you),  I do not know one person who does, nor has anyone paid state sales tax on OOS catalogue sales for many, many years. As I said ...I live in a state where we are oppressed by taxes. It's truly obscene.
The Marketplace Fairness Act has not been enacted yet..so I will continue to enjoy purchasing online tax free with a clear conscience for as long as I can...like everyone else. I am just being honest.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:58:14 PM by infared »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »
Paying by wire transfer is a problem, particularly if your bank is slow or unreliable.  I do a lot of wire transfers to buy things for my business, and it usually takes a minimum of three days to arrive in the sellers bank account.  Promising someone a wire transfer in one day is  something that isn't going to happen. A bank agent takes the info for the transfer, then it goes to a wire room, where it must wait its turn to be sent, which may happen the following day (Unless you try to send it on Friday)  Then, it takes a day to show up in the other account.  If your account does not have the funds, its another delay to transfer them.
It does sound like you need another bank, if they did not transmit any information about who was sending the money.

Sending one without a name and address as well as contact information should result in it being refused, there are just too many fraudsters, and Adorama does not know you.

I've bought a lot of equipment from them and B&H as well as others, no problems.  But then, I never bought 100K worth of equipment that justified a wire transfer, my CC seems to work, its technically unlimited.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:47 AM »
I placed a very large order with Adorama on Wednesday the 29th of May. I had never made a purchase that large and was informed by my bank that I would not be able to transfer the funds until Friday.  ..........I will write back with further updates.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for your frustration and disappointment with this order.

I'd welcome the opportunity to investigate further, but will need your order number. Can you please email me directly: Helen@adorama.com and I will  give it my immediate attention.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 02:51:50 AM »
Paying by wire transfer is a problem, particularly if your bank is slow or unreliable.  I do a lot of wire transfers to buy things for my business, and it usually takes a minimum of three days to arrive in the sellers bank account.  Promising someone a wire transfer in one day is  something that isn't going to happen. A bank agent takes the info for the transfer, then it goes to a wire room, where it must wait its turn to be sent, which may happen the following day (Unless you try to send it on Friday)  Then, it takes a day to show up in the other account.  If your account does not have the funds, its another delay to transfer them.

Sorry for going OT, but holy crap!
Is it that complicated to wire money in the US? Here in Germany the banks are legally required to wire the money within no less than 1 working day. And if you wire money within the bank from one account to another one it's usually there within minutes. Sometimes even if you wire money across banks. (Seen this happening when I wire some money to my dad or he wires money to me)
No wonder you guys pay everything with plastic.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 02:51:50 AM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:19 AM »

Sorry for going OT, but holy crap!
Is it that complicated to wire money in the US? Here in Germany the banks are legally required to wire the money within no less than 1 working day. And if you wire money within the bank from one account to another one it's usually there within minutes. Sometimes even if you wire money across banks. (Seen this happening when I wire some money to my dad or he wires money to me)
No wonder you guys pay everything with plastic.

Yea, that was one big culture shock for me when I moved from Europe to Usa. And there's still checks around everywhere. Too often at a grocery store someone pulls out the check book and starts writing a check. That's one reason why I like the self-service lanes as people with checks don't ever use those.

Also some years ago I tried to transfer funds between mine and my wife's account, in the same back. I initiated a payment, then the system sent email to her 3 days later (or any email I would have provided), then when she received the email, she clicked a link and 3 days later the money arrived to her account. I chatted with the CSR, and they confirmed that at the time that was the best they could do online transfers. By far the best way was to write a check and drive up to the bank to deposit it.

Fortunately they've gotten bit better over years, but I'd say many of the services are still some ~10-15 years behind compared to Europe.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »
They are not my favorite either...I had incredibly rude treatment in their store 20 years ago...it was so rude I never went back.......................

I can appreciate why you may feel this way, but in all fairness, the Adorama management team today is not the  same as it was 20  years ago

...I live in NJ and they charge NJ sales tax on all orders, so I also have a financial reason not to buy from them online these days..............

Actually, Adorama doesn't charge  sales tax; the state of NJ charges it and for NJ residents we are legally obliged to collect it.
There is a provision on the NJ income tax forms for you to declare out of state purchases that are subject to NJ state sales tax; many  NY / NJ  residents actively choose to  purchase from  retailers who collect on their behalf,  as  it saves them  the  bother - in any case, you really do need to pay that tax when filing your state income tax return.

As an example, if the state rate is 5.5% and you purchase $5,000 worth of equipment from an online out of state retailer that doesn't collect sales tax on orders shipped to you, it is your responsibility to send in 5.5% of that $5,000 ($275) to your state Department of Revenue. 

Fines for tax evasion can be very high, and it adds up quickly with fees, interest etc added onto the tax owed. If you're ever audited you'd be very happy that you have been taking care of this year by year. The best thing to do is to ask your local tax agency as well as a good local CPA.

[It is probably not a good idea for anyone to even suggest on an internet forum that they don't pay sales tax on out of state purchases.
With the financial crisis that NJ and many other states are in, it is only a matter of time until they start cracking down on this].

Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »