October 26, 2014, 12:13:07 AM

Author Topic: Horrible experience with Adorama camera  (Read 22346 times)

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible experience with Adorama camera
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
On one occasion (earlier this year) Adorama website did not even mention that the item was out of stock even after I added the item to the cart ... after paying for the item it took Adorama a day to send me an email stating that one of the items I ordered is out of stock and they gave me the option to cancel the order (... for proof, see the attached pdf titled "Attachment 2"). This may seem like a small issue but for people like me, who are ordering from another country (in my case Qatar), banks hold the full purchase order price as soon as we order the items and if I cancel the order (even it is on account of the seller's fault) it takes a long time to get the money credited back to my credit card (in Qatar it takes minimum 45 days to max 90 days), meanwhile we have to pay interest for the money we did not even spend ... if we don't want to pay interest we have pay up the full ordered amount to the bank i.e. make double payment for an item we did not even get.

That should not be an issue anymore.  Currently, most credit card companies require merchants to comply with certain rules, one of which is that no company may charge your card until they are about to ship the product.  A merchant who charges your card for a product that is not in stock can lose their ability to take credit cards if you complain loudly enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
Natureshots,

Sounds like a horrible situation (especially when it involves so much money). However, I'm 100% sure that Adorama is not a sham operation that deliberately steals peoples' monies. It will eventually all be straightened out and hopefully soon. In the mean time, as much as humanly possible under these circumstances, try to relax so you don't have a heart attack or stroke due to high blood pressure. If that happens, they win and you lose.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »
Good luck - please keep us informed how the situation is resolved (not resolved)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
On one occasion (earlier this year) Adorama website did not even mention that the item was out of stock even after I added the item to the cart ... after paying for the item it took Adorama a day to send me an email stating that one of the items I ordered is out of stock and they gave me the option to cancel the order (... for proof, see the attached pdf titled "Attachment 2"). This may seem like a small issue but for people like me, who are ordering from another country (in my case Qatar), banks hold the full purchase order price as soon as we order the items and if I cancel the order (even it is on account of the seller's fault) it takes a long time to get the money credited back to my credit card (in Qatar it takes minimum 45 days to max 90 days), meanwhile we have to pay interest for the money we did not even spend ... if we don't want to pay interest we have pay up the full ordered amount to the bank i.e. make double payment for an item we did not even get.

That should not be an issue anymore.  Currently, most credit card companies require merchants to comply with certain rules, one of which is that no company may charge your card until they are about to ship the product.  A merchant who charges your card for a product that is not in stock can lose their ability to take credit cards if you complain loudly enough.
What you are saying is correct only if it is domestic orders/payments ... but for international orders/payments, the full purchased amount is authorized as soon as the order is placed, putting a "temporary" hold on the funds, in the credit card, until the time of actual shipment. If you cancel the order, even it is  on account of the seller's fault, (depending on the country), it takes minimum 5 days to 90 days (that too from the time of the seller confirming the cancellation to the bank), but in the case of countries such as Qatar it is minimum 45 days to maximum 90 days. While one can "complain loudly" resulting in the sellers ability to take credit cards, we still have to pay interest or pay the full amount on funds that were technically never used.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »
You have to feel for the Op, 27k in the Hole, no ones taking responsibility.

I've been reading this whole thing with interest, still waiting for "Wonder Woman" Helen to pull the Ops cherries out of the Fire, hopefully it'll happen after the Adorama People have had a relaxing weekend, hate to think of the Ops weekend, 27k in the Wind.

You can imagine the reaction after this experience if anyone mentions "Adorama" to the Op, better be wearing a Flak Jacket.

The Op mentioned wether or not his 27k was important to Adorama, clearly the answer is No, this whole experience has certainly hardened my attitude to ever buying from Adorama.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
What you are saying is correct only if it is domestic orders/payments ... but for international orders/payments, the full purchased amount is authorized as soon as the order is placed, putting a "temporary" hold on the funds, in the credit card, until the time of actual shipment. If you cancel the order, even it is  on account of the seller's fault, (depending on the country), it takes minimum 5 days to 90 days (that too from the time of the seller confirming the cancellation to the bank), but in the case of countries such as Qatar it is minimum 45 days to maximum 90 days. While one can "complain loudly" resulting in the sellers ability to take credit cards, we still have to pay interest or pay the full amount on funds that were technically never used.

That can happen for domestic charges, too, depending on the company, but there's a big difference between a hold and a charge.  An authorization hold affects only availability of funds.  Your credit card company is not supposed to include unsettled transactions in your monthly bill; if they do, then your bank is violating the CC company's rules, not the merchant.

Add up the charges on the credit card statement, and you should find that those authorization holds are not, in fact, reflected in the total.  The only impact they should have on you is reducing the amount of credit that you can spend on other things.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »
You have to feel for the Op, 27k in the Hole, no ones taking responsibility.

I've been reading this whole thing with interest, still waiting for "Wonder Woman" Helen to pull the Ops cherries out of the Fire, hopefully it'll happen after the Adorama People have had a relaxing weekend, hate to think of the Ops weekend, 27k in the Wind.

You can imagine the reaction after this experience if anyone mentions "Adorama" to the Op, better be wearing a Flak Jacket.

The Op mentioned wether or not his 27k was important to Adorama, clearly the answer is No, this whole experience has certainly hardened my attitude to ever buying from Adorama.

Adorama does not have the OP's money. We do not charge until an order ships. The order did not ship and therefore we did not take the money.

The hold has been placed on the OP's account by the OP's bank and he needs to contact the bank to get the hold released.
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »

Helen...I think you should put a face with your name.....I bet you have a camera laying around sometwhere ;)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3089/2545109618_5821b638f8_m.jpg
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »

According to the OP's bank, the money will appear back in his account tomorrow. A check for $25 is on the way to him, from Adorama,  to cover his wire costs.
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »