July 29, 2014, 09:55:17 PM

Author Topic: Getting a little bit Fed Up...  (Read 14053 times)

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a little bit Fed Up...
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »
Wow... never meant to shake the bee hive :D Also just want to make it clear that I am not really "Fed Up" with Canon... more Fed Up with waiting and being unsure. And yes... maybe it's not right being so anxious, but hey - if it wasn't for us over eager people - companies would take years before bringing out new stuff :)

Personally, I like a little lead time knowing what a coming product is.  That way I can either drool and dream or decide "hey, nothing there worth waiting for, I'll get a current model."

I have to agree with this - but then I must say, if I think about other announcements from Canon, they have released some info well in advance. When it's not such a big upgrade. So I suppose the fact that we have to wait longer, must mean something good is coming :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »
Like in Nature it is about competition - if a pro looses ground because his competition makes better pictures/videos with updated gear - he just needs investing again (provided funding available). Buy always the latest modell and sell the used one to us hobbyists. If a pro is established and doesn't suffer loss of ground, pro can wait, companies too. If a pro waits and looses ground - he is not a pro anymore.

All the rest of the trigger-clicker community is like readers on a writers festival.
Cheers
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
If a pro waits and looses ground - he is not a pro anymore.

Cheers

spoken by a non pro?  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
From a "not a pro"--I've been selling some shots from triathlons and bike races this summer, and the wait for equipment has nothing to do with being left behind--a better AF, more frames/second, better high iso performance and more MP would allow me to catch more keeper shots and thus the potential for more sales.

And THAT is why I'm so anxious.   ;)

P.S. Tried a 7D and it had most of the above but I found the images were softer than on my (wife's) 40D so I decided to wait.

Flake

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »
Like in Nature it is about competition - if a pro looses ground because his competition makes better pictures/videos with updated gear - he just needs investing again (provided funding available). Buy always the latest modell and sell the used one to us hobbyists. If a pro is established and doesn't suffer loss of ground, pro can wait, companies too. If a pro waits and looses ground - he is not a pro anymore.

All the rest of the trigger-clicker community is like readers on a writers festival.
Cheers

You'd have to have really appalling gear for that to make a difference, even the old 1Ds is still being used as a pro body today, and just to reiterate it's not the gear which makes a photographer good, it's the other way around!

I would never buy the latest kit, the problem is that it takes an age for Adobe & other software providers to issue their RAW / ACR updates, meaning that you have a camera which for professional use is just about useless.  Oh I hear the cry you can convert to DNG!  yeah well try converting 1000 files manually because DPP is the only software which is useable (yes I know it will batch them, but it's another unecessary step) then working through them all as DNG through the workflow software.  If you're lucky the only glitch will be the software / firmware (A la 5D MkII) but it could involve a workshop visit (A la Nikon D5000 twice!).

A wait for 6 - 12 months on any new camera body is good advice - and the price usually drops to a more sensible level too.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
"A wait for 6 - 12 months on any new camera body is good advice - and the price usually drops to a more sensible level too."

Plus one. I am going to wait at least 1.5 years.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

red5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
"A wait for 6 - 12 months on any new camera body is good advice - and the price usually drops to a more sensible level too."

Plus one. I am going to wait at least 1.5 years.

Agreed, a little wainting usually sees a price drop.  I remember a few years ago, when the 40D came down in price a little later.  Well worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »

P.S. Tried a 7D and it had most of the above but I found the images were softer than on my (wife's) 40D so I decided to wait.

Gotta turn the sharpness up on the presents. It does have a softness issue but it can be extremely sharp.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »

Gotta turn the sharpness up on the presents. It does have a softness issue but it can be extremely sharp.

I shoot in RAW and it was my understanding that sharpness has no effect on RAW.  Maybe I'm wrong on that??

april

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:08 PM »
[/quote]

i assume you shoot with the 7D; who shoot with 40D? if it was your wife shooting at the same subject you were shooting with the 7D then i'm sure the 40D will get a slight edge in sharpness but that's not because of the camera most probably it's because men tend to be more shaky than women and that is why in semicon industry they only hire women in resoldering microchips

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
With the Zeiss I had to turnthe sharpness preset down - it looked unnatural otherwise. I think it matters even in RAWbecause your converter reads this and applies the sharpness rules. At least that's what I understood from neuro's explanations some time ago but I may still not have got it right.
I got the 40D just after it ran out for the same reasons as mentioned above but I am NOT ambitious.
Still no major improvement worth an upgrade around for a
Simple Clicker like me. The wait is exciting but not hurting...
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »
I would never buy the latest kit, the problem is that it takes an age for Adobe & other software providers to issue their RAW / ACR updates, meaning that you have a camera which for professional use is just about useless.

You would also never get that "out of the box, new feeling". This is a matter of opinion... some people can't wait for Christmas, others couldn't care. I will install Beta operating systems to see what's new and work through the bugs - others will stick with Windows XP because it's more "stable"

At least I know when I have a brand new camera that the support will eventually follow :D

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
I would never buy the latest kit, the problem is that it takes an age for Adobe & other software providers to issue their RAW / ACR updates, meaning that you have a camera which for professional use is just about useless.

You would also never get that "out of the box, new feeling". This is a matter of opinion... some people can't wait for Christmas, others couldn't care. I will install Beta operating systems to see what's new and work through the bugs - others will stick with Windows XP because it's more "stable"

At least I know when I have a brand new camera that the support will eventually follow :D

That's a good comparison. Was just thinking about that as well. There are obviously different user types. I'm your typical "Windows XP" kinda guy. I had to use Win Vista once and was annoyed by it. Win 7 may be better but at the moment I just do not care. I use XP/Office 2003 at work (10000+ employee company that will not roll out anything new anytime soon - and frankly, why would we?). And I use the same on my home computers because I don't have the time and patience to redo everything all the time. Stuff works and does what it's supposed to do. Good enough for me. That by the way is one of the reasons why I could never be convinced to go the Apple route. The constant reminders to "update" to a new version every other month on my iTunes stuff is bad enough. As long as my workflow or equipment doesn't change I don't need more colorful versions all the time.

Same with cameras. I'd still be shooting with my old non-AF film equipment if labs hadn't gone to hell around here. And don't get me wrong, I like shiny new toys, but some things just don't add any value and I was actually quite happy to have had analog cameras that were built to last and didn't need replacement every few years. I'd rather put the money towards other stuff (more lenses or a new bike or whatever).
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
Wow... never meant to shake the bee hive :D Also just want to make it clear that I am not really "Fed Up" with Canon... more Fed Up with waiting and being unsure. And yes... maybe it's not right being so anxious, but hey - if it wasn't for us over eager people - companies would take years before bringing out new stuff :)

go out and make pictures......
   ::)

Maybe I just need some feedback from fellow Canon users before I decide to switch to the yellow brand...

whenever i read something like that my brain yells -> BULLS___ or TROLL.

sorry. but is you photography so perfect that all current canon DSLR cameras are not good enough for you?
and if the answer is yes... i am (i think most here) curious to hear how nikon will increase your phantastic photos even further??

if you are not a photographer but a gear-freak.... then forget what i have said...   ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:50:32 PM by Gothmoth »

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
sorry. but is you photography so perfect that all current canon DSLR cameras are not good enough for you?
and if the answer is yes... i am (i think most here) curious to hear how nikon will increase your phantastic photos even further??

If you read a bit further you would see that I also said that I stay true to Canon and won't ever switch... I was speaking out of anxiety and anticipation on a new camera. I still firmly believe the best camera is the one in your hands - but if the one in your hands are becoming more and more unreliable then you have to start looking at getting new stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »