November 22, 2017, 01:02:27 AM

Author Topic: Buying used batteries  (Read 1226 times)

bereninga

• EOS M5
Buying used batteries
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
Is it worth buying used batteries? I've seen used batteries on sale at B&H and wonder how extensively they test them.

canon rumors FORUM

Buying used batteries
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Buying used batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
I wouldn't, personally.  Li-ion batteries have a finite life in terms of number of charge cycles, and storage in hot conditions (car trunk, etc.) especially when fully charged can dramatically shorten their lifespan.  There's no good way to determine remaining lifespan, so it's a gamble.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

tpatana

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
Is it worth buying used batteries? I've seen used batteries on sale at B&H and wonder how extensively they test them.

If you have real battery tester, you can easily measure how much capacity you get out from the battery before the voltage drops.

In general, I'd say it's not worth it. If you can't afford new OEM batteries, at least buy new (reputable) 3rd party batteries. About worst that can happen is that your camera dies because the battery wasn't good. It can happen to any battery, but used one is a higher risk always. You can't know if the previous owner e.g. let it drain all the way to empty on several occasion. Li-Ions can work even after that but often you see hit on the capacity.

So do yourself a favor and buy new batteries.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »