September 03, 2014, 03:24:17 AM

Author Topic: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming  (Read 36649 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« on: June 05, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
Hi guys!

Instead of completely highjacking another thread I'll post a new topic.

Does everybody experience a very slight frequent "tick.tick,tick" noise when turning the zoomring of the 24-70 mk2?

It's spanking new, only very slight afma was needed (+1 to +3) and AF works perfect, the zoom turns smoothly otherwise. I just want to make sure it's nothing wrong.

Thanks!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« on: June 05, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
I certainly haven't noticed a noise like that on mine - the zoom action is a smooth 'swish'.

EDIT: see this thread reporting the same issue (OP there returned the lens, got a silent replacement).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:29:15 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
I certainly haven't noticed a noise like that on mine - the zoom action is a smooth 'swish'.

EDIT: see this thread reporting the same issue (OP there returned the lens, got a silent replacement).

Thanks  a lot! Man, that wasn't to reassuring though :o Luckily I'm doing a trip to where I ordered it from so I'll be sure to either replace it or be reassured. Hopefully swap one, and pray that it is otherwise as perfect as this one is optically.

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
Hi guys!

Does everybody experience a very slight frequent "tick.tick,tick" noise when turning the zoomring of the 24-70 mk2?

It's spanking new, only very slight afma was needed (+1 to +3) and AF works perfect, the zoom turns smoothly otherwise. I just want to make sure it's nothing wrong.

Don't know if this has any bearing on anything. Just something I experienced  :o

Thanks!

Huh how funny, I've just returned a copy that had exactly this issue! The replacement copy I've just got is perfect. In fact this is my third copy. The first return was due to a decentering issue and second one had the 'tick, tick, tick' sound you mentioned. New one appears to be a keeper with no issues.

It's a really weird sound isn't it? difficult to describe.
Personally if you can I'd get a replacement.
Out of interest did your copy come with the new center pinch lens cap or the old style?
The first copy I had was the old style, the new one I've got is old style too but the one I've just sent back with the 'tick, tick, tick' sound was the new center pinch cap. The only significance this really has is that if it's got the new cap it was made from the beginning of this year. Old style caps mean the lens was made last year.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:40:28 PM by lastcoyote »
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
Hi guys!

Don't know if this has any bearing on anything. Just something I experienced  :o

Thanks!

Huh how funny, I've just returned a copy that had exactly this issue! The replacement copy I've just got is perfect. In fact this is my third copy. The first return was due to a decentering issue and second one had the 'tick, tick, tick' sound you mentioned. New one appears to be a keeper with no issues.

Out of interest did your copy come with the new center pinch lens cap or the old style?
The first copy I had was the old style, the new one I've got is old style too but the one I've just sent back with the 'tick, tick, tick' sound was the new center pinch cap. The only significance this really has is that if it's got the new cap it was made from the beginning of this year. Old style caps mean the lens was made last year.

Hm, yeah, replacement it is :P It's the center-pinch cap on mine.

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
Hi guys!

Thanks!

hmm weird huh. maybe there's a new dodgy batch going around. or maybe they've changed something with the sealing in the newer production of the lens. could be totally inconsequential of course  :P
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
Hi guys!

Thanks!

hmm weird huh. maybe there's a new dodgy batch going around. or maybe they've changed something with the sealing in the newer production of the lens. could be totally inconsequential of course  :P

Really weird... My initial thought was that since it is brand new it will pass over, but reading your replies, I'm not very convinced it will, and I noticed it straight away, and have never experienced it with any other lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
Really weird... My initial thought was that since it is brand new it will pass over, but reading your replies, I'm not very convinced it will, and I noticed it straight away, and have never experienced it with any other lens.

i had the exact same feeling that it was just because it was new and it would work it's way out. but my experience was that it appeared to get worse....or It just became more noticeable to me.
my fear was that if I used the lens for video the mic might pick up the sound as they can be very sensitive to any sound coming from the camera body region....if you know what I mean.
hope you can get it sorted.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
I will pop by the store tomorrow and I'll update this thread. Fingers crossed the IQ of a replacement is the same as this one as it is REALLY good :D

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
It sounds like one of the internal parts has a poor quality finish or the spiral grooves that the zoom mechanism rides on were not cut smoothly.  In either case, it would be a easy fix for Canon.  Maybe well see the repaired ones on sale as refurbs soon.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »
Just checked the store where I bought it from, and they are sold out of 24-70's. That means they don't have one to swap with mine, greeeaat.... I'm going to sound whiny now, but ever since I started photography the only things I buy new are camera bodies, lenses I have always bought used except for a very select few times, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I have had loads of trouble and had to exchange and send for repair and swap ... I'm never buying new lenses again :P I must've owned 30-40 lenses, 98% used, and not had one single issue with any of them....

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 04:56:01 AM »
Just checked the store where I bought it from, and they are sold out of 24-70's. That means they don't have one to swap with mine, greeeaat.... I'm going to sound whiny now, but ever since I started photography the only things I buy new are camera bodies, lenses I have always bought used except for a very select few times, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I have had loads of trouble and had to exchange and send for repair and swap ... I'm never buying new lenses again :P I must've owned 30-40 lenses, 98% used, and not had one single issue with any of them....

oh what a nuisance. so have you got one on order with them to replace it later or did you just return it?
i can understand the frustration. sometimes it feels like i have trouble with practically anything i buy new these days. maybe QC isn't what it used to be.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »
My copy is almost dead-silent in quite office. Get a replacement.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
My copy is almost dead-silent in quite office. Get a replacement.

yeah my replacement only has the normal very gentle swoosh sound when zooming in and out in a dead silent room.

the one i sent back was just like Viggo's. really unusual sound. it's not so much that it's particularly loud, just that it sounds 'wrong'. i'm glad i got mine replaced as it would play on my mind every time i used it.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »

nope

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »