July 28, 2014, 11:00:52 PM

Author Topic: 70-200 f/2.8L IS II underwhelming  (Read 4741 times)

tculotta

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 70-200 f/2.8L IS II underwhelming
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
I never post anything here, but thought I would post that I have found my 70-200 L 2.8 II to be simply stunning. I would agree with those who postulate that there is something amiss with your copy, for what my opinion is worth.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Ted C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »

HenryS

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »
Where the 70-200 shines is in low light with great image stabilization and auto focus motor...

The images are great... but they may not blow your mind at 100%.

As for the sigma.. who wants to shoot at f6?  It's fine... but that's not the reason you get the 70-200.
I did get the sigma as my first lens for my Sony DSLR, to have a superzoom to start with and to find out what I need. I just compared them because I had nothing else in that focal range to compare the 70-200L to and since I was pretty sure there was something wrong with it I found that a legitimate way to become certain. After that I sent it to cps and it cam back repaired as described earlier :)   
In total they are absolutely not comparable and the sigma is far inferior. I just made this comparison to describe the extremely poor performance the L delivered before being repaired:)
No need to worry :)
18 year old photographer from Hamburg, Germany  -  using Canon equipment.

HenryS

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
Hello,
it's me again. Following your advice I sent the lens to cps and they returned it "fixed", stating they calibrated IS and the optics. After using it for a while, I found that it improved somewhat, but the results I get are inconsistent. There is definitely some halo. Though sometimes it gives amazing results even at 200mm with 1/15s exposure handhold. I assume that is how the lens is supposed to perform.

This inconsistency makes the lens useless for me since most of my pictures make use of back light and I need my equipment to be reliable. So I am thinking about selling the lens. But I can't square selling a broken lens with my conscience.

So could you be so kind to take a last look at the pictures and tell me if the lens is OK or not. I don't want to scam somebody.

Pictures can be found here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9A24089482BEBF7A!1695 (developed in Lightroom 5.4 with default settings)

How does your copy of the Lens perform in backlit situations? Following Neuro's advice I am using the lens without a filter now.

Thank you in advance!

Henry Schulz

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Thanks for your answer,
I am definitely not a malicious troll, I am a 18 year old German student who tries to get into the photography business and loves canon and the equipment they make.

I started taking snaps at the age of 5 with an analog point and shoot, upgraded to a powershot a450, and in 2008 finally a DSLR a Sony alpha 300 with sigma 18-200 DC lens. With this camera I learned a lot and found out my passion is macro photography. So I got myself a sigma 50 2.8 macro in 2012 but I was not happy with the direction sony went with the slts and evfs. So i switched to canon because my powershot nerver let mit down and got myself a 5d2 with the 50 compact macro. Half a year later the 100L and another half year later the 70-200L II. I love my equipment and would never dare to do something maleficent to Canon wich provides me with firs class Equipment and never lets me down. (all of these three were bought new from a local store)

As stated in my post I assume that poor images result from a faulty user. So I was hoping that one of you might be able to tell me what I have to improve so I get the same stellar results from that lens as just about every canon professional photographer.

As to AFMA I know about that, but without a professional setup or software I don't think its possible to do that accurately and being a student I am currently not able to afford that. If that's wrong please tell me I read and joined this forum to learn.

I am very sorry if this didn't become clear in my first post
Henry

Henry, Lenses have a tolerance, but so do bodies.  In the rare case that the tolerances add up, things can look bad even though each is fine.

Canon mounts and adjusts the lens on a reference body (A 5D MK II, if you told them) and verifies that it is working correctly.  If you send in your camera, they do the same but with a reference lens.

You can, and should consider sending both the camera and lens for adjustment.  They adjust them separately, then confirm proper sharpness when used together.   I've had two different 70-200MK II lenses, and both were wonderful.  I had 5 of the MK I version, and they were good but not great.  I've also had three of the non IS versions, all were exceptional lenses.

If its not up to your expectations, and can't be fixed, I'd sell it, because you will never be happy with it.  First though, have them do the camera and lens both.

skoobey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
I think I see your problem.  ;)

You look at other people's images shoot with the same lens and wonder why to their's look so good, while yours are plain.

Well, it's called retouching. You need to develop the film, looking at a negative won't give you the final image.

HenryS

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
I think I see your problem.  ;)

You look at other people's images shoot with the same lens and wonder why to their's look so good, while yours are plain.

Well, it's called retouching. You need to develop the film, looking at a negative won't give you the final image.

Hello,
of course I am aware of post processing. That's why I upgraded dpp to Lightroom 5. Nevertheless one needs a good basis to start developing. Of course I can simply increase the sharpness in Lightroom. But it's not the sames as if it would be as sharp/clear in first place. Using my 5d2 at iso 6400 for low light concerts would be impossible without PP.

Nevertheless thank you for taking the time to spent time studying my problem and to prepare a response.
Henry

Skulker

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
Hi Henry

You should be able to PP decent image files in DPP.  Some prefer it to LR,  but of course it is much much more than just a raw converter.

Your images are interesting but not the sort of thing that is best for checking lens or camera. A vertical target and an inclined ruler will do fine for setting up auto focus. My favourite way is to photograph a single flower on the lawn looking down at about 45 degrees.  You can soon see if the grass either side is in focus and so see if you are front or rear focusing. I have recan but never use it now.

If you check focus and set it right but still don't get images you think are sharp enough you should try a tripod and or a bean bag.

If you still can'tget Iimages you like talk to an experienced photographer.  There are lots of us about. And most are quite willing to help a youngster understand and progress. Who knows they might even say the problem is your lens. That's not likely but it certainly could be.

I hope this helps your development as a photographer and gives you no offence. As you do seem rather dismissive of the help offered so far.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »

HenryS

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »
Hi Henry

You should be able to PP decent image files in DPP.  Some prefer it to LR,  but of course it is much much more than just a raw converter.

Your images are interesting but not the sort of thing that is best for checking lens or camera. A vertical target and an inclined ruler will do fine for setting up auto focus. My favourite way is to photograph a single flower on the lawn looking down at about 45 degrees.  You can soon see if the grass either side is in focus and so see if you are front or rear focusing. I have recan but never use it now.

If you check focus and set it right but still don't get images you think are sharp enough you should try a tripod and or a bean bag.

If you still can'tget Iimages you like talk to an experienced photographer.  There are lots of us about. And most are quite willing to help a youngster understand and progress. Who knows they might even say the problem is your lens. That's not likely but it certainly could be.

I hope this helps your development as a photographer and gives you no offence. As you do seem rather dismissive of the help offered so far.

Hello,
first of all I apologize for appearing dismissive, that's not what I intend to be. I assume that results from the struggle of getting taken serious as an 18 year old. Of course that's no excuse, I am deeply sorry. I value this forum and the people taking their time to help others. I learned a lot from reading this forum for about two years. Thank you!

To the lens, I found out that the lens backfocuses at both of my bodies, so I will take my camera and all my lenses to the local cps repair center and get the lens calibrated to the camera. That won't be coming cheap but I need a reliable setup since it's summertime the most profitable time for me.

I will continuing to use this lens for the summer, despite being not fully satisfied. Most clients won't notice the difference anyway. For my personal stuff I will stick to my 100L and 50CompactMacro. After the summer I will reevaluate the situation as to keep the lens, make the move to primes, try to get a different copy etc.

I am very grateful for advice about how to use this lens properly as I think it's very likely that user errors are involved. I tried using this lens on a tripod successfully after figuring out that I have to turn the IS off manually since there is not tripod detection or it doesn't work or whatever. For long exposures of night architecture it's great. It's not so great as a macro lens used with the 25mm extension tube compared to the 100L and 50 CompactMacro.

I still have to figure out how to use it properly as a portrait lens as I still fail to get the eyes in Focus at 100mm+ f/2.8 using the 5d2. Focus/Recompose doesn't work and the outer focus points are a bit hit and miss. Surprisingly the outer Points work well when using this lens and camera for table tennis shots. Strange. I hope somebody can explain that to me...

Please accept my apology.
Looking forward to further advice

Henry

Skulker

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
Hi Again Henry.

If you hadn't mentioned your age we wouldn't know how old you are. Anyway it has nothing to do with the advice I have given, and I didn't notice anyone else taking any notice. Apart from you that is  ;D

But you do seem to be missing the point of my post. I was saying it is quite easy to do the AFMA with nothing other than the camera and the lens. You don't need any fancy software, and you don't need to send them back to Canon. Unless you run out of adjustment, and I have no idea how often that happens.

If you do it yourself you will learn about your camera and lens as well as saving some money. Give it a try its quite easy.

CanonOregon

• SX50 HS
  • Canon 7d, Canon 60d, Canon 300HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:52 AM »
Sharpest zoom I've used. The 'color' of images is what catches my eye. Can you go back to the dealer and try another in the store? Also, try focusing on an object from an angle and see if it's a 'focus point' issue- is the area in front of or behind sharper than where you set the focus? It should be about the best lens you've ever used, love mine.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:52 AM »