December 07, 2016, 07:15:48 PM

Author Topic: Is the 50mm 1.8 STM sharper than a 70-200 2.8 II at similar apertures?  (Read 8078 times)

Mancubus

• Rebel SL1
After almost a year from the opening this thread, here is the outcome:

Since my 5d3 was almost at the end of the warranty and had some minor spots on the sensor, I sent it in for a free cleaning before the warranty expires. Since I was sending the body in, I also sent the 50 STM and the 70-200 mentioned on this thread.

Took them 35 (!) days to service my gear, and when it got back here are the technician's reports:
- 5d3 was working fine, sensor cleaned
- 50mm STM was perfect, nothing done
- 70-200mm calibrated for both front and back focus

After I got it back, shot with the 70-200 for a week and WOW, it's much better now. Much more accurate and doesn't miss focus like before.

I'm happy that I finally got it working properly, it wasn't bad before but I was a bit disappointed for spending so much money and still missing shots. Was blaming myself, changing shooting techniques, trying all types of AF adjustments and nothing helped.

It sucks that such a high end product comes out of the box in need of adjustments that will leave you without your gear for over a month!

canon rumors FORUM

j-nord

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Derp
Thanks for the update and glad the 70-200ii is fixed! Do you find the center sharpness similar now @2.8, 4, 5.6?
6D | 100-400ii | 24 f2.8 IS | 50 f1.8 STM | Roki 35 f1.4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jnordgaard/

Mancubus

• Rebel SL1
Thanks for the update and glad the 70-200ii is fixed! Do you find the center sharpness similar now @2.8, 4, 5.6?

I would have to do some tests to verify that, but with the photos from last week I can say the details @2.8 are as good as my camera can produce.

AlanF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II

Since my 5d3 was almost at the end of the warranty and had some minor spots on the sensor, I sent it in for a free cleaning before the warranty expires. Since I was sending the body in, I also sent the 50 STM and the 70-200 mentioned on this thread.

Took them 35 (!) days to service my gear, and when it got back here are the technician's reports:

After I got it back, shot with the 70-200 for a week and WOW, it's much better now. Much more accurate and doesn't miss focus like before.

I'm happy that I finally got it working properly, it wasn't bad before but I was a bit disappointed for spending so much money and still missing shots. Was blaming myself, changing shooting techniques, trying all types of AF adjustments and nothing helped.

It sucks that such a high end product comes out of the box in need of adjustments that will leave you without your gear for over a month!

Presumably, you had never AFMAed your 70-200mm?
5D IV, 5DS R, 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X, 400mm DO II, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM, EF 70-200/4 IS, EF 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M 18-55, f/2 22, 11-22

Mancubus

• Rebel SL1

Presumably, you had never AFMAed your 70-200mm?

I did, but never got a consistent result regardless of the adjustment. I could adjust for a very specific test with tripod, iso 100, mirror lockup, contrasting subject etc...but when in the real life applications it would miss focus almost half kf the time anyways.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
. Was blaming myself, changing shooting techniques, trying all types of AF adjustments and nothing helped.

Unfortunately, in between the factory and the customer, there are the shipping companies.  They are not kind to lenses, and sometimes there is some incredible stress when a forklift drops a pallet of packages 12 feet.  You should always return a lens if it does not meet your expectations, shipping damages is a huge factor, its not something easy to control.  Roger Cicala of lens rentals has discussed the shipping issue.  They check every lens before its rented, and know that some are damaged in shipping because renters complain and return them with problems that were not there when it was shipped.  My wife worked for a shipping company, and when the boss was away, they played football with packages at random, drop kicking them across the room into the containers.  If they missed, they had to try again and again - you get the idea.

So, if you think a lens is not sharp, return it or send it for repair.  Don't live with it and blam the manufacturer when it may have just been used in a game of football ;)

nvsravank

• Rebel T6i
Today I took the 70-200mm out for some portrait shots, and I've decided to do it a bit differently this time: I decided to NOT use the AF-on button to focus, and focused using the shutter button as most people do.

This gave me a LOT more sharp shots, a few misfocused but none had that apparent minor motion blur despite using relatively low shutter speeds (1/200 or 1/100s).

I think that when I use the AF-on button to focus (which apparently doesn't trigger the lens IS), there is not enough time for the IS to settle because I wasn't holding the shutter halfway before the shot. And since I didn't use the halfway shutter to focus I would just take the photo at once and this wouldn't give time for the IS to stop the moving parts.

But today, when focusing through the shutter button, it gave enough time for the IS to settle and avoid those slightly blurry shots I was having before.

Does my theory make sense?
Yes it does. Turn off IS if you are already at 400 or faster shutter speed. It really doesn't help. See if that will allow you to go back to your preferred shooting style with AF button.

canon rumors FORUM

Mancubus

• Rebel SL1
. Was blaming myself, changing shooting techniques, trying all types of AF adjustments and nothing helped.

Unfortunately, in between the factory and the customer, there are the shipping companies.  They are not kind to lenses, and sometimes there is some incredible stress when a forklift drops a pallet of packages 12 feet.  You should always return a lens if it does not meet your expectations, shipping damages is a huge factor, its not something easy to control.  Roger Cicala of lens rentals has discussed the shipping issue.  They check every lens before its rented, and know that some are damaged in shipping because renters complain and return them with problems that were not there when it was shipped.  My wife worked for a shipping company, and when the boss was away, they played football with packages at random, drop kicking them across the room into the containers.  If they missed, they had to try again and again - you get the idea.

So, if you think a lens is not sharp, return it or send it for repair.  Don't live with it and blam the manufacturer when it may have just been used in a game of football ;)

It took me weeks to start noticing that something was wrong. And here in Thailand the return policies are not as friendly as in the US or Europe, especially when you are a foreigner. At the best scenario they would ask me to send in my camera and lens for calibration (which I did after almost a year), but at the time I had an incoming trip and no way I would stay a month without my gear.

Anyway, for months I was blaming myself for my poor technique - because on online forums like this, the reason for poor shots is ALWAYS stupidity from the user, never the equipment.

meywd

• 5D Mark III
    • About Me
Re: Is the 50mm 1.8 STM sharper than a 70-200 2.8 II at similar apertures?
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »

It took me weeks to start noticing that something was wrong. And here in Thailand the return policies are not as friendly as in the US or Europe, especially when you are a foreigner. At the best scenario they would ask me to send in my camera and lens for calibration (which I did after almost a year), but at the time I had an incoming trip and no way I would stay a month without my gear.

Anyway, for months I was blaming myself for my poor technique - because on online forums like this, the reason for poor shots is ALWAYS stupidity from the user, never the equipment.

I am glad you got the issue solved, the problem with blaming the gear is that its not the issue most of the time, however sometime it is to blame, and as with every other problem you may face in life, reducing the probabilities by checking common issues can help solve the problem faster, make a test that reduces human error, check all the common reasons, and when you are sure its not you, then send the gear to get fixed, this way you don't waste a month of your life with an issue that can be solved at home.
Current Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 135mm f/2.0 | EF 24-105 F/4.0 | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 430EX II | Canon EF 2x II

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Is the 50mm 1.8 STM sharper than a 70-200 2.8 II at similar apertures?
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »