July 28, 2014, 05:41:41 PM

Author Topic: Buying a used lens from Adorama  (Read 1561 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a used lens from Adorama
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »
The street price for a new 24-105mmL from a Authorized dealer is $660.

Don't pay more.  It might indeed be a kit lens, they are exactly the same as a retail lens, and have the same warranty.

From Canon Price Watch.

We estimate a street price of $659.99 on this item brand new from an authorized dealer with full Canon USA Warranty and free shipping.

Fill out this form to get in touch with CPW for assistance in obtaining this price.
You can also read more about street prices.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
Y'all have been so helpful to me in the past, I'm hoping you can help me decide if I should buy a used lens from Adorama now.

I've decided on purchasing the 24-105 f/4 L for my next lens (and soon after that, the 10-22). I see that Adorama and B&H have it new for $1150, but that Adorama has several listed as N (white box) for $899. It doesn't come with a hood like the full-price version does, but I rarely shoot with a hood and if I wanted to I assume I can buy one separately for less than the $46 they list it for on their site.

However, I've done some reading and found that several people on this forum and others feel like Adorama tends to be optimistic when grading their lenses. I definitely don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a lens and find out a year later that it's failing so I'm not looking at anything less than new... but I'm curious if N is actually known to be truly new.

I know they sell their used lenses with a 90-day warranty, but I'm curious if the white box lenses also carry the Canon one-year warranties as well.

If it's a big risk, I'd rather just pay the additional $250 and get the brand-new, warrantied lens that I know nobody has used. But if it's a no-brainer that N-rated white-box lenses are in fact exactly the same as buying a new lens (just without the hood and bag), maybe I should save the $200 and go for it?

You are most welcome to email me directly about this, (Helen@adorama.com) but I wanted to let you know that all used cameras and lenses rated D, E+, E and E- come with a 6-month warranty, which includes a 30-day returns period for refund or exchange.
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Canon1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
I trust adorama and they stand behind their product. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them.

On this lens however id buy used from eBay or any photo forum without reservation.  You should be aware that this is one of the worst canon lenses for holding its value. No matter where you buy it or what you spend it will only be worth $550-650 range.  I'd cut to the chase and save some money on used. The market is flooded with mint condition copies if this lens at bargain bin prices.

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »

Unless you absolutely can't live without weather sealing, I'd probably just buy the Sigma version instead.  From what I've read, it's sharper, cheaper, and has similar or better build quality....

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
The street price for a new 24-105mmL from a Authorized dealer is $660.

Don't pay more.  It might indeed be a kit lens, they are exactly the same as a retail lens, and have the same warranty.

From Canon Price Watch.

We estimate a street price of $659.99 on this item brand new from an authorized dealer with full Canon USA Warranty and free shipping.

Fill out this form to get in touch with CPW for assistance in obtaining this price.
You can also read more about street prices.

What Mt. Spokane says. Canon Price Watch street price deals are all for U.S. warranty new lenses and bodies.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »
24-105mm can be had for $700 new from good dealers often. Check canonpricewath(dot)com for price changes on that lens. Its getting very difficult to sell the used lens right now for more than $650 on ebay.

I've been checking them out but mainly see unauthorized dealers or lenses marked as grey/import version for anything less than $1049. Although I do see something that says I can contact CPW for info on obtaining the lens that the "street price" of $659.99: http://megmo.me/1z2wom7. I'll contact them but I wasn't sure if that was legitimate or shady. :P

Its real.  Dealers can't advertise equipment below Canon's MSRP, but they can sell for any price they want.

celltech

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 11:06:07 PM »
I have bought many refurb lenses from Adorama and have never been let down:  50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4, 135 f/2, 70-200 f/4.

The last 3 in the list showed up *brand new* with warranty cards and all accessories.  I am not sure why they did that, but I have not bothered to ask :-)  And even the true refurbs looked and performed as new.

Adorama has a buyer for life in me...

Bodies - 5D3, T2i  Primes - 135 f/2 L, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4, 40 f/2.8, 35 f/2  Zooms - 70-200 f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/4 L, 24-104 f/4 L, 17-55 f/2.8, 17-40 f/4 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 11:06:07 PM »

CanonOregon

• SX50 HS
  • Canon 7d, Canon 60d, Canon 300HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:43 AM »
'White box' is not used or anything like that, it's a 'kit lens' not in the kit anymore. Just be sure the warranty card is with it (which I'm sure Adorama would include!) and you'll be fine. I would think the lens hood would be with it, I bought one that way (of course, I worked at the camera store it came from!). And the bag, front and back caps.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
'White box' is not used or anything like that, it's a 'kit lens' not in the kit anymore. Just be sure the warranty card is with it (which I'm sure Adorama would include!) and you'll be fine. I would think the lens hood would be with it, I bought one that way (of course, I worked at the camera store it came from!). And the bag, front and back caps.

The Warranty card does nothing.  For service, you need a receipt from a authorized dealer (Like Adorama).  You can toss the warranty card.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »

The Warranty card does nothing.  For service, you need a receipt from a authorized dealer (Like Adorama).  You can toss the warranty card.

I know this is the case... but what is the warranty card... a vestige of years gone by?  I had a 1.3mp Olympus p&s and the usb connection went bad, so I called them and they said that my online registration was for marketing purposes alone and I needed the receipt... I was so angry that I never considered another one of their products...

But still
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
I have bought many refurb lenses from Adorama and have never been let down:  50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4, 135 f/2, 70-200 f/4.

The last 3 in the list showed up *brand new* with warranty cards and all accessories.  I am not sure why they did that, but I have not bothered to ask :-)  And even the true refurbs looked and performed as new.

Adorama has a buyer for life in me...

Very good to hear - thanks!
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »

I know this is the case... but what is the warranty card... a vestige of years gone by?  I had a 1.3mp Olympus p&s and the usb connection went bad, so I called them and they said that my online registration was for marketing purposes alone and I needed the receipt... I was so angry that I never considered another one of their products...

[/quote]

So if you have purchased from an authorised retailer - and why wouldn't you??!! - they should be able to take your zip code and / or email address at the time you placed your order, ID your order and send you a copy invoice.

If they can't, you should've bought from Adorama  :-*
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

So if you have purchased from an authorised retailer - and why wouldn't you??!! - they should be able to take your zip code and / or email address at the time you placed your order, ID your order and send you a copy invoice.

[/quote]

This was in 2002... purchased from staples... and I believe that outdated the rewards tracking system... and I may have paid with cash...

I just bought a card reader and it was fine... but I guess I could have asked staples if the kept those kinds of records.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »

[/quote]

Most reputable online dealers let you retrieve a invoice online.  Local ones keep records and usually can duplicate one.  I almost always buy from either Adorama, or from a small local camera shop in Couer D Alene Idaho.  They employee real photographers, and I like to do my share of keeping a few of the old fashioned shops around.  One small local photo store for Pros just closed shop recently.

I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, but not Cameras.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »
Most reputable online dealers let you retrieve a invoice online.  Local ones keep records and usually can duplicate one.  I almost always buy from either Adorama, or from a small local camera shop in Couer D Alene Idaho.  They employee real photographers, and I like to do my share of keeping a few of the old fashioned shops around.  One small local photo store for Pros just closed shop recently.

I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, but not Cameras.

Doing a quick inventory of my gear....

used... out of warranty
new... with receipt in email and account, but out of warranty
used... out of warranty
new... with receipt in email, still under warranty
used... out of warranty
used... out of warranty
used... reported stolen... there's a whole backstory here... but the story isn't done yet...
new... with receipt in email and in account, still under warranty
used... out of warranty.

Honestly, I've never had a lens or body go bad on me... so either I keep it well protected or I've been very lucky.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »