August 23, 2014, 01:34:00 AM

Author Topic: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming  (Read 36045 times)

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »
Like I said earlier in this thread, I am on my fourth copy and finally got a reasonably good one.

Canon has lost my confidence with this lens. Reading peoples' troubles and experiences with this extremely expensive piece of equipment has left such a spurt taste. My own experience with Canon Canada with regards to a repair on my first copy was enough to make me look at competitor brand glass more seriously, even if the image quality isn't quite up to par. At least most of the competitors are offering 5x the warranty for half the cost.
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

FocalFury

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
Like I said earlier in this thread, I am on my fourth copy and finally got a reasonably good one.

Canon has lost my confidence with this lens. Reading peoples' troubles and experiences with this extremely expensive piece of equipment has left such a spurt taste. My own experience with Canon Canada with regards to a repair on my first copy was enough to make me look at competitor brand glass more seriously, even if the image quality isn't quite up to par. At least most of the competitors are offering 5x the warranty for half the cost.

Same here. I spoke to their service center "tech" and they were absolutely clueless.

b7a4

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
My lens (052) was having the clicking issue too. Best way to describe it is to imagine a card attached to the tire of the bike, making a click click click sound when hitting the spokes. Not as loud, but you get the point :)

I shipped it off the canon repair in Irvine yesterday. I wrote a pretty lengthy comment in the work order what I fear it may be an what may happen with time (ribbon inside loose and may tear). I'll let you know what they say

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2014, 03:32:30 AM »
People should link this thread when the send theirs for service. Maybe Canon will start to see the magnitude of this. Let's hope "The year of the lens" don't become the year of patents and repairs and poor QC.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2014, 01:13:51 AM »
So after having used my fourth copy of the lens for about two months now, I have noticed it too has started to develop a more aggressive sounding clicking noise. The noise on this copy was always there, but so minimal that it was barely noticeable unless you put your ear practically on the barrel of the lens.

Tonight, just sitting in my living room and playing around with taking pictures of our cat, I noticed the sound seemed to be louder than I remember. Very annoying.

I have passed my return period for the lens, so taking it back is out of the question...and I already sold my very first copy of this lens because of a server decentered element problem, and I am not going to go through that again and lose a ton of money. I'm just going to live with it. I have an extended MAC Warranty on the lens, so if anything really goes wrong with it in the next three years I will be sending it in then.

I've come to the conclusion with this whole ordeal that if you're looking for perfection you're just not going to get it with this lens. Canon seems to consistently produce copies of it with decentered elements or clicking sounds when zooming. I love its optics and what it is capable of, but it sure has shaken my confidence in Canon's quality.

As the mileage on this current copy increases I'll update everyone as to whether any significant problems develop as, like I said above, I have no other choice at this point other than to keep it. My own gut feeling is that the noise, while annoying, probably will never amount to any actual mechanical issues.

*sigh*

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:05:45 PM by R1-7D »
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2014, 02:16:04 AM »
I would sure like to know what they changed and why they don't change it back... The clicking lenses will continue to appear because canon haven't said anything and therefor nor changing anything. It's funny, but I have owned multiple copies of a lot of lenses and it's always the oldest ones that work superior. And on top of that, with cashback and a weekend offer I paid 1000 dollars less for the 2470 brand new than it sells for now...and that's a loong time ago. Wth... I really feel for you guys that can't get a good copy...

b7a4

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »
Just got the lens back. Te service details say:

Your product has been examined and it was found that the af assembly was loose causing inaccurate auto focus. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Adjusted centering/tilt/best focus & cleaning. Product functions were confirmed.

Its still clickin' o_O

Radjan

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I too had this problem, so here's my story with the lens.

14-01-2014: I purchase this lens from a local store in Denmark, and got it home - Serial 042. Immediately I notice the clicking noise when zooming. The description of the problem is very similar to others. Slight 'ticking' noise when zooming from 70mm to 24mm. The zoom ring also feels quite tight, especially going from 70-24.

Despite this, I ran it through Reikan Focal and did an extensive AF test. I found it had quite erratic autofocus. While it certainly did achieve sharp results, the focus was all over the place, despite having run it through AFMA test and set it to its best (Required +6 on wide and +8 on tele).

06-02-2014: I take it back to the store, and luckily, they had a 24-70 on display. It did not have the ticking noise, and the zoom ring was also a lot smoother. They also had 3 other new lenses in the back, and took all of 'em out. 2 of them, serial 032 and 042 had similar problem as the one I purchased. The ticking was quite pronounced on the 032 serial, while the 042 was harder to hear, but it was there. The 3rd was a 096, and had the old lens cap - it was perfect. No noise, smooth zoom ring, just like the one on display, which also had serial 096.

I ended up exchanging it for the new 096 serial, and took it home. Did some AFMA test, it required +3 wide, and +4 tele. The AF results were similar to my other primes/zooms, with much more steady results. Sharpness was the same as the first one at its best.

I also noticed that the Aperture sharpness was very different on the 2 lenses. The 'ticking' lens started low in sharpness at 2.8, and steadily increased until 4.0 and slowly dropped until 10.0 where it dropped fast. The new lens was sharpest at 2.8, and dropped very very slowly until 10.0, where it started dropping fast like the other.

All tests were done in the same room, with the same light in the evening at 8,8 EV. Tripod at same spot, both at 24mm zoom at 1.2meters.

Hope this info helps someone.

I also want to thank you all for a great community, with lots of great info. I've read a lot on this forum, but this is my first post. I figure I could finally contribute with something  :D

- Radjan

shhooter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
I've had mine since October 2012 and never had any clicking. It's always been smooth, nearly silent and extremely accurate AF.

However, the lens coating on my front element recently appears to be disintegrating (posted in the other 24-70 thread) and i've just sent the lens back to Canon (now Out of Warranty... grrr)... we'll see what happens, hopefully it doesn't come back clicking!

Gotta say, this is all pretty disappointing to read about a $2300 lens.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
I've had mine since October 2012 and never had any clicking. It's always been smooth, nearly silent and extremely accurate AF.

However, the lens coating on my front element recently appears to be disintegrating (posted in the other 24-70 thread) and i've just sent the lens back to Canon (now Out of Warranty... grrr)... we'll see what happens, hopefully it doesn't come back clicking!

Gotta say, this is all pretty disappointing to read about a $2300 lens.

Did you have filter in it?

Sanaraken

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
I have the same clicking issue for 2 months now. To late to get a replacement since I cut up the UPC for the rebate. I did not perform AFMA, but I can tell at 24mm its not as sharp compared to the ones I rented. There is really no point sending it to Canon. As they dont acknowledge the issues on this lens. I might just go back to primes and white lens.
5DIII | 24-70L f2.8 II | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 40 f2.8 | 100L f2.8 | 600EX-RT

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »
I have the same clicking issue for 2 months now. To late to get a replacement since I cut up the UPC for the rebate. I did not perform AFMA, but I can tell at 24mm its not as sharp compared to the ones I rented. There is really no point sending it to Canon. As they dont acknowledge the issues on this lens. I might just go back to primes and white lens.

Just test with the box or any other contrasty text and see if it's sharper with live view than with "normal" phase AF. If it is, your afma value is incorrect. If it's not, it might be less sharp copy or decentered lens.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »

Just test with the box or any other contrasty text and see if it's sharper with live view than with "normal" phase AF. If it is, your afma value is incorrect. If it's not, it might be less sharp copy or decentered lens.

good advice.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Lightmaster

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
14 pages for this nonsense?   :o

katanel

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2014, 06:20:46 AM »
Wants to buy a 03xxx lens - very sharp, same click click sound. Go to another shop, get a 08xxx lens - sharp also, same click click sound!

At the end...is the noise indicating an issue or not? Did someone buy it such lens and kept for long time? How this evolves?