November 22, 2017, 01:02:20 AM

Author Topic: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming  (Read 119166 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »

6dDamo

• Canonflex
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2014, 03:02:00 AM »
Hey guys, just thought i'd weigh in on my experience with the clicking lens too. I got my canon 24-70 2.8 II about 3 weeks ago (grey coloured box manufactured in March 2014) after returning a tamron 24-70 and the first thing i noticed when i got into a quiet room was that damn clicking.

I thought something was surely off, and then i found this thread and saw I'm in the same boat with a lot of other members. *shakes fist*

In any case, I popped off to the Canon service centre in Shanghai (where i live) and the guy first tried to palm me off by saying he couldn't hear it, and then after he could hear it, he said it was normal. After i pushed him a bit further, he said he would need to get a copy of the same lens to try (apparently the fact that my 70-200/17-55/18-55 zooms don't exhibit clicking isn't enough proof that zooms shouldn't click. Instead he said he could only base his conclusions on lenses of the same type, ie if his one clicks and mine clicks, then it's not a fault, it's a design feature... :-\ )

In any case, he said this noise didn't warrant the service centre opening up the lens.

In the end, the engineer said he didn't have the same lens on hand but he would request one from the marketing team to test later. After a week, he called me saying his one clicks too. He then said he would escalate it to his head office because he admitted clicking is a bit strange and he revealed another customer had come in with a clicker too.

Well i just heard back again today and the engineer said that the head office said it was normal, and it will not affect the function or usage of the lens. Go figure, eh? I guess Canon thinks if they close their eyes and ears long enough, we'll all get bored of waiting for a response from them.

On the bright side, the lens IQ is absolutely stunning, and it's my new favourite lens. I felt it wasn't worth pushing it further since i guess i can live with clickety click if it means i can have great photo quality.

candyman

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr website
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2014, 05:30:34 AM »
Hey guys, just thought i'd weigh in on my experience with the clicking lens too. I got my canon 24-70 2.8 II about 3 weeks ago (grey coloured box manufactured in March 2014) after returning a tamron 24-70 and the first thing i noticed when i got into a quiet room was that damn clicking.

I thought something was surely off, and then i found this thread and saw I'm in the same boat with a lot of other members. *shakes fist*

In any case, I popped off to the Canon service centre in Shanghai (where i live) and the guy first tried to palm me off by saying he couldn't hear it, and then after he could hear it, he said it was normal. After i pushed him a bit further, he said he would need to get a copy of the same lens to try (apparently the fact that my 70-200/17-55/18-55 zooms don't exhibit clicking isn't enough proof that zooms shouldn't click. Instead he said he could only base his conclusions on lenses of the same type, ie if his one clicks and mine clicks, then it's not a fault, it's a design feature... :-\ )

In any case, he said this noise didn't warrant the service centre opening up the lens.

In the end, the engineer said he didn't have the same lens on hand but he would request one from the marketing team to test later. After a week, he called me saying his one clicks too. He then said he would escalate it to his head office because he admitted clicking is a bit strange and he revealed another customer had come in with a clicker too.

Well i just heard back again today and the engineer said that the head office said it was normal, and it will not affect the function or usage of the lens. Go figure, eh? I guess Canon thinks if they close their eyes and ears long enough, we'll all get bored of waiting for a response from them.

On the bright side, the lens IQ is absolutely stunning, and it's my new favourite lens. I felt it wasn't worth pushing it further since i guess i can live with clickety click if it means i can have great photo quality.

It is not a funny story but what is funny is that Canon releases a camera (5D MKIII) with silent shutter so you can use it for those special occasions but don't use it with the brilliant 24-70 II IQ. Otherwise what is the point of silent shutter if the lens makes noise. Just saying I don't understand the point of view of Canon. And, isn't the 24-70 II most used lens for - for example - weddings (churches, synagoge..etc)?
The more you look, the more you see ─ Robert M. Pirsig

climber

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2014, 05:47:59 AM »
i don't know, but I don't hear any clicking on my lens.

Northstar

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
I've had mine about a year....i had a faint clicking sound (March 2013 copy) when I got it, and for the first several months, but I really don't hear it anymore.

IMO - for those following this thread thinking there's something wrong with the 24-70 2.8ii and you're holding off buying... don't think that.   It's a phenomenal lens, pretty much replaces every prime in the focal range for me.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

ryebread

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #230 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
I made the mistake of selling this lens after my first month with it, last year.
I bought my 2nd copy a few months ago. I love it.

If you read the professional reviews of this lens, they will all tell you, that this lens make a little noise during AF, nobody else can hear it, aside from the photog. it's not a big deal.
5D3, 70D, 16-35L 2.8ii, 24-70L 2.8ii, 35A, 50L, 85L, 135L

Invertalon

• EOS M5
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
I have a 24-70 II that was bought new right when the lens was released... Never had any clicking noises.

Until I sent it in to Canon for a check and clean...

When it came back, it now has a clicking sound (two or three clicks when zoomed). I am assuming they tightened some stuff which made the sound appear. I am not worried at all about it, but it is funny that it was silent until Canon had it  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »
I have a 24-70 II that was bought new right when the lens was released... Never had any clicking noises.

When it came back, it now has a clicking sound (two or three clicks when zoomed). I am assuming they tightened some stuff which made the sound appear. I am not worried at all about it, but it is funny that it was silent until Canon had it  :o

Canon's lens maintenance service doesn't touch the internals, the only thing tightened are the external screws, and neither the screws on the lens mount nor the little screws on the plate for the lock switch should affect the zoom mechanism.

Hate to say it, but I'd be worried about rough handling during shipments.

climber

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »

Canon's lens maintenance service doesn't touch the internals, the only thing tightened are the external screws, and neither the screws on the lens mount nor the little screws on the plate for the lock switch should affect the zoom mechanism.

Hate to say it, but I'd be worried about rough handling during shipments.

Or, did you really get the same (yours) lens back after all.

Invertalon

• EOS M5
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
I can verify the serial number when I get home, but nothing appeared abnormal and had the UV filter on that I shipped it with. 

I am led to believe they did open the lens though, as internal dust behind the front element had been removed. I did not note this when I sent it in, but in the past they have done more elaborate "cleanings" then they should have for me. They don't always go by the book... If they did open the lens, they may have tightened a few things which started the noise.

For example, my 5D3 was sent in for just a check/clean and they ended up cleaning out the viewfinder pentaprism (requires disassembly), foam pieces, wiring and adjusted CMOS position as well. And again, nothing was ever noted wrong with it... They just did it free (not under warranty and with CMS).

Far from just external checks/cleanings.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:13:43 PM by Invertalon »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »
I can verify the serial number when I get home, but nothing appeared abnormal and had the UV filter on that I shipped it with. 

I am led to believe they did open the lens though, as internal dust behind the front element had been removed. I did not note this when I sent it in, but in the past they have done more elaborate "cleanings" then they should have for me. They don't always go by the book... If they did open the lens, they may have tightened a few things which started the noise.

For example, my 5D3 was sent in for just a check/clean and they ended up cleaning out the viewfinder pentaprism (requires disassembly), foam pieces, wiring and adjusted CMOS position as well. And again, nothing was ever noted wrong with it... They just did it free (not under warranty and with CMS).

Far from just external checks/cleanings.

Interesting, and good to know!

Invertalon

• EOS M5
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
I did check and confirm that the lens I have is the right one... Serial numbers match up.

Also, it appears the clicking is already "fading". Its quieting down after just a little use and I think it will likely just go away soon.

Either way, I am not worried about it. Lens works perfectly and the noise is really no harm.

Chz

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
I picked up a 24-70 f2.8 II at a local store in Melbourne Australia on Saturday, I couldn't hear the clicking sounds as it was quite a noisy store.  But I could hear it when tested the lens at home.

I had a replacement on Monday and unfortunately the noise is there upon testing it at home.  I contacted Canon support center in Sydney and they confirmed that it is NOT normal.  They've raised a case and suggested that I get another replacement from the store as the purchase is within 14 days.

I can't remember the serial number of the 1st unit but the 2nd one starts with 21.

I've contacted the store and they are happy replace it with another one so will do it tomorrow.  Wish me luck on the 3rd unit.

Cheers,

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »

Chz

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:01 PM »
Picked up the 3rd copy from the local store yesterday and this one does NOT make the clicking sound  :).

BTW, the serial number also start with 21.

Triggyman

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »
Picked up the 3rd copy from the local store yesterday and this one does NOT make the clicking sound  :).

BTW, the serial number also start with 21.

Good for you. That lens may have been manufactured last September.

My copy's serial starts with 20 and the clicking was there - it sounded like turning a safe combination lock. Now it's almost totally gone, but a new clicking sound appeared that wasn't there before - just one faint click when I turn the zoom ring from 35-50mm.

My lens is only less then 7 days old and I don't want to risk a problem that might seem insignificant today but will grow into something big through time, and I don't make money out of photography so I will bring it back to Vistek (the shop I bought it from) and see what they will say about it. If they don't want to exchange it, then I will just return it. They impose a 10% restocking fee and I'd rather take the hit. Bad thing is I will be left with only a 100L Macro as my only lens. 
5D Mark III, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8L Macro, 600EX-RT, Powershot SX50 HS, Sony a6000, E 16-50mm, E 55-210. And many batteries.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »