December 13, 2017, 06:27:22 AM

Author Topic: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming  (Read 121837 times)

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:59 AM »
I got the store to cancel my purchase and got it somewhere else. I got the 2012-edition this time, old style lens cap, which I love. And the mechanics feel MUCH better! No Noise, no squeaky AF and if anything this is even sharper at all focals.

I got an explanation from the rep guy as to what causes the noise (please note I'm simply quoting him as I have no idea about this myself)

He said there's a brass or copper band around the inner barrel that has a brush mounted to it that reports focal length to the camera. And he had taken in 5 (!!) 24-70 2013 editions with the same exact problem. And he said that brush is simply mounted to hard so that it grinds, it's nothing faulty, and it would loosen up and become normal. He understand fully that I didn't want to wait to "break it in" so I simply got my money back.
Mine also has this problem. And its made in 2015.11. WTF, What I can do now?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:59 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2016, 06:27:14 AM »
I got the store to cancel my purchase and got it somewhere else. I got the 2012-edition this time, old style lens cap, which I love. And the mechanics feel MUCH better! No Noise, no squeaky AF and if anything this is even sharper at all focals.

I got an explanation from the rep guy as to what causes the noise (please note I'm simply quoting him as I have no idea about this myself)

He said there's a brass or copper band around the inner barrel that has a brush mounted to it that reports focal length to the camera. And he had taken in 5 (!!) 24-70 2013 editions with the same exact problem. And he said that brush is simply mounted to hard so that it grinds, it's nothing faulty, and it would loosen up and become normal. He understand fully that I didn't want to wait to "break it in" so I simply got my money back.

Use it and if you can't fault it don't worry about it. If you're like me and just can't live with this kind of stuff, send it in for service.
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
This is my first post on this issue even though I am on my fourth lens from B&H. The first one was 960 and soft. The second was 032 and had a very noticeable clicking sound. The third was 062 and had decentering problems. My fourth is 062 and my initial test showed that it was most likely a keeper. Checked the zoom right out of the box in my office with normal HVAC sounds and did not notice clicking. Shot my usual tests vis a vis my 24-105 (both indoors and outdoors) and it still looked good. Shot a number of photos over the weekend and was pleased. A couple of nights ago it was on a tripod in my home with the zoom extended. I walked over to it and zoomed it back to the 24 mm position and by chance my ear was pretty close to the side of the lens. When I zoomed it in, I could hear a very slight clicking sound, similar to the earlier version but much softer. Someone in an earlier post said it did not sound like a tumbler on a safe being turned, but I think it does sound like one but very soft. Bottom line, I can only hear it if my ear is next to the side of the lens (obviously not a good shooting position). My earlier one with clicking was very noticeable even when not close to it. If I hold the lens in my hands in front of me and zoom, I do not hear clicking. I have not tried video with it (on a 5dMkIII). If I can't hear it in normal shooting then maybe it is not a big deal. However, I am concerned about what the sound means in a few years since we tend to keep lenses a long time. Any of you have one with a similar sound and did you keep it? Did it get better or worse? I am still within the return period and even with rebates this is a very expensive lens. I have a few other L lenses and I have never had a problem like this. At this point still debating whether to keep, try for #5 or get a refund.
I am too. Mine has all the same problem as yours

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
Hey guys, just thought i'd weigh in on my experience with the clicking lens too. I got my canon 24-70 2.8 II about 3 weeks ago (grey coloured box manufactured in March 2014) after returning a tamron 24-70 and the first thing i noticed when i got into a quiet room was that damn clicking.

I thought something was surely off, and then i found this thread and saw I'm in the same boat with a lot of other members. *shakes fist*

In any case, I popped off to the Canon service centre in Shanghai (where i live) and the guy first tried to palm me off by saying he couldn't hear it, and then after he could hear it, he said it was normal. After i pushed him a bit further, he said he would need to get a copy of the same lens to try (apparently the fact that my 70-200/17-55/18-55 zooms don't exhibit clicking isn't enough proof that zooms shouldn't click. Instead he said he could only base his conclusions on lenses of the same type, ie if his one clicks and mine clicks, then it's not a fault, it's a design feature... :-\ )

In any case, he said this noise didn't warrant the service centre opening up the lens.

In the end, the engineer said he didn't have the same lens on hand but he would request one from the marketing team to test later. After a week, he called me saying his one clicks too. He then said he would escalate it to his head office because he admitted clicking is a bit strange and he revealed another customer had come in with a clicker too.

Well i just heard back again today and the engineer said that the head office said it was normal, and it will not affect the function or usage of the lens. Go figure, eh? I guess Canon thinks if they close their eyes and ears long enough, we'll all get bored of waiting for a response from them.

On the bright side, the lens IQ is absolutely stunning, and it's my new favourite lens. I felt it wasn't worth pushing it further since i guess i can live with clickety click if it means i can have great photo quality.
Hi, I am Chinese too,

Ahhhhh, seems canon do not want to accept this problem...
My QQ code is 1400700226, can you add me?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:20:05 AM by 1400700226 »

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »

Use it and if you can't fault it don't worry about it. If you're like me and just can't live with this kind of stuff, send it in for service.
Ahhh... Seems canon's service is not good...

Northstar

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
I’ve had mine since March 2013 and it did make the clicking noise at first, but slowly went away.
I’ve been using it for 2.5 years now and it’s a fantastic lens.  I use it primarily for indoor sports action and it focuses quickly and accurately and the IQ is fantastic.
I had forgot that my copy initially had this issue so I got my but off the couch and just went and checked it...nothing nada zilch.  No clicking sound and it works perfect.
north
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
I’ve had mine since March 2013 and it did make the clicking noise at first, but slowly went away.
I’ve been using it for 2.5 years now and it’s a fantastic lens.  I use it primarily for indoor sports action and it focuses quickly and accurately and the IQ is fantastic.
I had forgot that my copy initially had this issue so I got my but off the couch and just went and checked it...nothing nada zilch.  No clicking sound and it works perfect.
north
The sound went away?! You are pretty lucky!
Some people says after a years of use the sound become louder or not change.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:15:21 PM by 1400700226 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »