July 28, 2014, 02:39:16 AM

Author Topic: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming  (Read 33713 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70 II slight clicking sound when zooming
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »
I got the store to cancel my purchase and got it somewhere else. I got the 2012-edition this time, old style lens cap, which I love. And the mechanics feel MUCH better! No Noise, no squeaky AF and if anything this is even sharper at all focals.

I got an explanation from the rep guy as to what causes the noise (please note I'm simply quoting him as I have no idea about this myself)

He said there's a brass or copper band around the inner barrel that has a brush mounted to it that reports focal length to the camera. And he had taken in 5 (!!) 24-70 2013 editions with the same exact problem. And he said that brush is simply mounted to hard so that it grinds, it's nothing faulty, and it would loosen up and become normal. He understand fully that I didn't want to wait to "break it in" so I simply got my money back.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
I got an explanation from the rep guy as to what causes the noise (please note I'm simply quoting him as I have no idea about this myself)

He said there's a brass or copper band around the inner barrel that has a brush mounted to it that reports focal length to the camera. And he had taken in 5 (!!) 24-70 2013 editions with the same exact problem. And he said that brush is simply mounted to hard so that it grinds, it's nothing faulty, and it would loosen up and become normal. He understand fully that I didn't want to wait to "break it in" so I simply got my money back.

Interesting.  I wouldn't want to 'break in' a lens, either.  Ordered mine from B&H in mid-March, has the old-style side-pinch cap and was produced in October, 2012 based on TDP's serial number dating table.  No issues with the lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »
I got the store to cancel my purchase and got it somewhere else. I got the 2012-edition this time, old style lens cap, which I love. And the mechanics feel MUCH better! No Noise, no squeaky AF and if anything this is even sharper at all focals.

interesting. i'm glad it wasn't just me who felt it was worth returning it for though. I was starting to think it was just me being fussy. it must be quite a stiff brush attached to make such an audible 'tick' sound. it certainly didn't sound like it would go away any time soon to me.

as you say the ones made last year were fine. my new copy was made i believe in october of 2012 and is dead quiet and nice and smooth. also it appears to be as sharp as the returned copy. i need to go out and do some proper shooting though to confirm this.

EDIT: huh just seen your reply neuroanatomist. that's how i aged my lens too :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:10:58 PM by lastcoyote »
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
Does everybody experience a very slight frequent "tick.tick,tick" noise when turning the zoomring of the 24-70 mk2?

Send it back.  I had a lens that did that once.  After about a year and a half, the ribbon cable that controlled the iris tore and I got the dreaded Err 01 (at least I think that was the error code), and I had to borrow a lens from a coworker to finish shooting that day.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 03:42:30 AM »
One thing to consider with this lens is that it has quite a bit of distortion and vignetting(also long end) at the wider end, almost surprising or I  might be very spoiled with the 24 L II.

And a question here. I feel that even at +100 in the vignetting correction I lightroom, the corners are still in need of correction, how do I apply more than +100? :P

M.ST

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:37 AM »
Funny things are going on.

A few days ago I test two lenses in a store, because a friend want buy the lens.

1 lens: ugly sound if I change the focal lenght
2 lens: different visible distorsion at 24 mm with the same settings

Both errors are well known errors from the first days of the lens. It´s a shame that Canon have the same big problems with the mass production after one year.

Conclusion:
If I look at many Canon products introduced in the last years I notice, that Canon have huge problems with the product quality and to produce new innovative cameras and lenses that are worth the money you pay for it.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
Funny things are going on.

A few days ago I test two lenses in a store, because a friend want buy the lens.

1 lens: ugly sound if I change the focal lenght
2 lens: different visible distorsion at 24 mm with the same settings

Both errors are well known errors from the first days of the lens. It´s a shame that Canon have the same big problems with the mass production after one year.

Conclusion:
If I look at many Canon products introduced in the last years I notice, that Canon have huge problems with the product quality and to produce new innovative cameras and lenses that are worth the money you pay for it.

Which style of lenscaps did the two have? (Center-Pinch= 2013, Old style= 2012)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »

trimstring

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
My lens has the same issue. I was told by the store that the zoom brush needs to be replaced but they don't have the new part yet (it's almost 1.5 month now since I brought the lens in). I was also told I could use the lens as is, without implications, until they get the part and replace it.
Anyway, my question is, does anybody know if I can really use the lens without further damaging the zoom brush or other internals?

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:30 AM »
My lens has the same issue. I was told by the store that the zoom brush needs to be replaced but they don't have the new part yet (it's almost 1.5 month now since I brought the lens in). I was also told I could use the lens as is, without implications, until they get the part and replace it.
Anyway, my question is, does anybody know if I can really use the lens without further damaging the zoom brush or other internals?

did the lens always have the 'clicking' sound on the zoom ring, or did it start after having it a while? i sent one back for replacement as documented in this thread.

also you say 'the store' are getting the new part in. hopefully if you are getting it fixed rather than replaced then this store is not just a retail store but a Canon approved service centre?

interesting though that i've come across quite a few people now on forums who have had an issue with this. i felt like the only one when i first posted about it.
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
This is all very interesting. I bought my new 24-70 II past Sunday and it's the 2013 model with center pinch cap. I'll check tonight and see what I find. I haven't noticed any noise...but I haven't really be looking/listening.
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
I got my 24-70 II around the time they came out and never had any issue with zoom ring clicking. It sometimes is faintly "squeaky" but that is just due to the seals inside the barrel for sealing (I know this because after I wipe down the barrel extension when I clean the lens, it goes completely away for weeks).

Lens works perfectly and I am very happy with it.

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:39 AM »
Just checked mine out and it seems to be fine with no abnormal sounds coming from it. It's a 2013 model.
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

trimstring

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
did the lens always have the 'clicking' sound on the zoom ring, or did it start after having it a while? i sent one back for replacement as documented in this thread.

also you say 'the store' are getting the new part in. hopefully if you are getting it fixed rather than replaced then this store is not just a retail store but a Canon approved service centre?

interesting though that i've come across quite a few people now on forums who have had an issue with this. i felt like the only one when i first posted about it.

The lens always had the clicking sound. At first I was told it'll go away with time, but after using the lens for 2 months and not seeing any improvement I brought it back to the store. Not sure about "Canon approved service centre" though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

The lens always had the clicking sound. At first I was told it'll go away with time, but after using the lens for 2 months and not seeing any improvement I brought it back to the store. Not sure about "Canon approved service centre" though.

doesn't seem right to me that the retail store where you bought the lens are saying that they have ordered the part for you to fit themselves  ???

they should really have just swapped out the lens for another copy from the start as you weren't satisfied with it.

if I was you I'd send it off to a Canon approved service centre near you to get it fixed under warranty.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:29:33 AM by lastcoyote »

dsc888

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:34 AM »
Hi Guys,

NEW member here! But I just found this thread after getting my spanking new 24-70mm f2.8ii from Amazon. I immediately noticed the "Tick Tick Tick" sound while zooming both from 24 to 70 and back. It one of the newer batches with the new CENTER PINCH lens caps. It seems to catch at regular intervals which leads credence to someone here mentioning that it is some kind of sensor/brush that relays focal length data to the camera.

The lens is otherwise just great optically. There doesn't seem to be many forum threads on the Internet regarding this issue. I wonder if folks are simply not hearing it or if it is a rare occurrence.

Has folks been able to swap out for non clicking ones that are of recent production? I got the lens at the recent price drop and love it. Thanks for all your help, folks!
5D3 | SL1 with 18-55 STM | 24-70L Mkii | 24-105L | 17-40L | 40mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 | 135L | 550EX | 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:34 AM »