April 19, 2014, 05:44:07 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III Vs. 7D Vs. T4i VIDEO ONLY  (Read 3921 times)

BokChoiTV

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
5D Mk III Vs. 7D Vs. T4i VIDEO ONLY
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »
So I recently had to give up my 5D Mk III due to my car breaking down and needing to be fixed (Damn BMWs are so expensive ;_;). Anyhow, it's summer and I'd really like to take advantage of the time to make more videos, my main focus.
Speaking of video purposes only, should I invest in a T4i for the time being and just upgrade down the road or just save straight for a MkIII if it means losing summer's opportunity to shoot?
I've had the 7D and Mk III before, never the T4i, and I understand the big differences are Noise, build quality, and stuff when comparing the T4i to the two, but if it's only video, and in controlled environments, will I be okay just using a T4i?
For sure, I'm going to need a camera that does full HD and has 60 FPS. I mainly shoot outdoors and the latest is sunset when I shoot (I usually hit 1600 ISO when I do that.)

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mk III Vs. 7D Vs. T4i VIDEO ONLY
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

Wildfire

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III Vs. 7D Vs. T4i VIDEO ONLY
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
Get a T5i now and sell it on craigslist when you have enough for a 5D3. You will take a $100-200 hit but you'll have a camera for the summer.

There is no technical advantage to the T5i over the T4i but it will stay valuable a little longer on the used market. And do get the kit lens or you'll have a hard time selling it... most people who would buy a Rebel have no use for the body only.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
For video save even more and get a T3i.  Or an M and adaptor.

Between the 7D and T3i/T4i for video, you'll miss out on intermediate iso steps (easily fixed via ML) but gain a flip out screen.

The T4i 7 T5i gains a digic V processor, as does the M, which I perceive to be worth about a stop extra's ISO at the top end before it gets too noisy.

In all seriousness I wouldn't buy a 7D for video only.  It's a very nice camera and I've ran one for a few years (at the time it was the only DSLR with a 25fps mode) and it's great for actions stills, but my T2i matched it for video and I would say that my T3i exceeds it in terms of operation and my M exceeds it in terms of IQ.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:25:30 PM by paul13walnut5 »

Skirball

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
T4i also adds video autofocus, but lacks crop, IIRC.  The T5i adds an embossed button, if that’s worth the extra cost to you.

From what I’ve seen it’s a heated debate over which is better for video (assuming you are using ML) between the T3i and T4i.

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
between T4i/T5i (or T2i for that matter) and 7D in ISO are 0 - zero, null, nada. in fact, if i sum up the internet, 7D is even a wee bit worse, they say.
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

DanThePhotoMan

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
You will absolutely not notice a difference in video quality between the t2i/t3i/t4i/7D. Before I got my 5Dmk3 we used to shoot A-cam with a 7D and B-cam with with a t4i. I had a t2i for my own play around use and when it came to comparing the footage there was no difference between the quality.

If you're serious about the video, the autofocus on the t4i is something you should stay away from. If it's just for family use and small personal projects it'd be fine, but I think you'll find it a bit crippling if you go from relying on autofocus on whatever 't' camera you get to the mk3 which doesn't have it.

If you get any of the 't' model cameras, make sure you put ML on it. I can't speak for the t5i, but none of the older models let you adjust white balance according the Kelvin which can really be a deal breaker in some scenarios as you don't have much leeway to grade that footage at all.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
So I recently had to give up my 5D Mk III due to my car breaking down and needing to be fixed (Damn BMWs are so expensive ;_;). Anyhow, it's summer and I'd really like to take advantage of the time to make more videos, my main focus.
Speaking of video purposes only, should I invest in a T4i for the time being and just upgrade down the road or just save straight for a MkIII if it means losing summer's opportunity to shoot?
I've had the 7D and Mk III before, never the T4i, and I understand the big differences are Noise, build quality, and stuff when comparing the T4i to the two, but if it's only video, and in controlled environments, will I be okay just using a T4i?
For sure, I'm going to need a camera that does full HD and has 60 FPS. I mainly shoot outdoors and the latest is sunset when I shoot (I usually hit 1600 ISO when I do that.)

5D3 has far and away the best video quality. Much better SNR and less moire/aliasing.
With the ML hack it is really awesome now.

As for 7D vs T4i and such it doesn't matter, at least not using the basic standard recording, go for the Rebel (the one thing I wonder though is maybe the 7D would allow much faster writing to cards and work much better if they get the ML RAW going well with the 7D, not sure).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:22:59 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »

BokChoiTV

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
I'm probably gonna go with the T4i with the Pancake lens (for the time being and for it's price.)
I do plan to get Magic Lantern on it. I've never used ML so hopefully I can learn easily ;_;.
As said before, I've had the 7D and Mk III and most definitely the Mk III blows these away, but weighing in the time I have now for summer to shoot, I'd rather choose between the T4i and 7D. The T5i's cost is way too much for so little difference over the T4i and while it will retain some of it's value in reselling, I don't think I'd resell for quite awhile if I'm going to invest in a Mk III after.
I guess the biggest thing I liked about the 7D was the weather sealing, weight (I kinda like the heavy, sturdy feel), and top LCD screen, somewhat useful.
Thanks guys!
Hopefully the T4i will be friendly too, haven't used a Rebel in years.

Skirball

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »
The T5i's cost is way too much for so little difference over the T4i

But it's a really nice embossed dial.

Hopefully the T4i will be friendly too, haven't used a Rebel in years.

It'll feel small and flimsy at first, but you'll get used to it.  ...there's a joke in there somewhere...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »