November 23, 2014, 09:52:45 PM

Author Topic: 1D X White Balance Bug NOW WITH SAMPLES...  (Read 9567 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X White Balance Bug NOW WITH SAMPLES...
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »
... I rather stick with a preset value

My point is that on a Canon body, by selecting Flash as a WB setting, you're not selecting a fixed preset value, just a modified form of Auto WB. 

I wouldn't call this a 'bug' yet. Granted, it should be a fixed color temp with something other than a Canon flash in the hotshoe - but PWs do strange things sometimes, and I bet if you send it to Canon they'll not find an issue.

BTW, what makes you think the issue is with the body and not one of the monolights? 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
... I rather stick with a preset value

My point is that on a Canon body, by selecting Flash as a WB setting, you're not selecting a fixed preset value, just a modified form of Auto WB. 

I wouldn't call this a 'bug' yet. Granted, it should be a fixed color temp with something other than a Canon flash in the hotshoe - but PWs do strange things sometimes, and I bet if you send it to Canon they'll not find an issue.

BTW, what makes you think the issue is with the body and not one of the monolights?

Because it happens with ambient light as well without PW or flashes. It is a random issue. I don't know when it's gonna happen.  :o
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
The "flash" WB setting is intended to work with speedlights that feed back info to the camera. It should be set at approx 6000K with other flashes. It could be that there is some sort of lack of feed back or faulty feedback between your kit and the camera.

You could set a custom WB. You can take a single shot of a white card and use that to set Custom WB. Then the WB should be set and be consistent. I do this using a color passport and get good consistent results, but any old 18% grey or light grey should do it fine.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
Hmm. Perhaps if you posted 50 or 60 more of those samples it would help to diagnose the problem.   ;)
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »
The "flash" WB setting is intended to work with speedlights that feed back info to the camera. It should be set at approx 6000K with other flashes. It could be that there is some sort of lack of feed back or faulty feedback between your kit and the camera.

You could set a custom WB. You can take a single shot of a white card and use that to set Custom WB. Then the WB should be set and be consistent. I do this using a color passport and get good consistent results, but any old 18% grey or light grey should do it fine.
Thanks for your comment. But unfortunately it seems nobody understands the issue here. It's not a white balance problem or color inaccuracy. It's random images with the wrong color...
Definitely not flash related problem. Because it happens with any WB setting even without a flash firing.
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
Hmm. Perhaps if you posted 50 or 60 more of those samples it would help to diagnose the problem.   ;)
There are about 5000 "samples" on my website...
Http://www.clicstudio.com

;)

Skulker

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »

Thanks for your comment. But unfortunately it seems nobody understands the issue here. It's not a white balance problem or color inaccuracy. It's random images with the wrong color...
Definitely not flash related problem. Because it happens with any WB setting even without a flash firing.

Well I certainly thought you were saying you were having problems with a "white balance bug". I'm sorry if I have misunderstood your problem that I was trying to help with.

I didn't realise you had tried "any WB setting" I apologies if my attempt to help has waste your time and for not understanding your "issue" better.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
To rule out the flash setting variable I would do a test shoot of say, a beach ball but set the white balance with a grey card.

Then it'll be fixed and you can then see if it's truly variable.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »

Well I certainly thought you were saying you were having problems with a "white balance bug". I'm sorry if I have misunderstood your problem that I was trying to help with.

I didn't realise you had tried "any WB setting" I apologies if my attempt to help has waste your time and for not understanding your "issue" better.
You didn't waste my time. We are all helping each other here and trying to learn at the same time... But the original post clearly states the problem. It's white balance shifting in some images, not a white balance color issue.
The samples are contiguous images side by side showing the problem.

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
On my screen, the left ones look more realistic. It could just be the flash head output varying slightly for some.
Is not about color accuracy. I'm trying to illustrate a random problem with the WB, not the accuracy.
20 images out of 500 are Different, that is the bottom line.
This happens everyday. Randomly.

Lightbulb outputs fluctuate and this can affect colour temperature. Did you take any breaks? Can you correlate those breaks or set-up changes with the times that the images varied?
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Skulker

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

You didn't waste my time. We are all helping each other here and trying to learn at the same time... But the original post clearly states the problem. It's white balance shifting in some images, not a white balance color issue.

Your first post clearly stated you were using flash white balance.  I still suggest that a custom white balance might help, but it seems you do not consider that you can learn anything from my help.

and BTW like someone else said in some of the side by side comparisons you posted the image you consider has a problem looks better to me than the one you have fixed.

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Your first post clearly stated you were using flash white balance.  I still suggest that a custom white balance might help, but it seems you do not consider that you can learn anything from my help.

and BTW like someone else said in some of the side by side comparisons you posted the image you consider has a problem looks better to me than the one you have fixed.

I said I used Flash and also ambient light. I didn't fix or process the images. I am merely showing the 2 images taken a second, or less, apart being different.
20 bad images out of 500 doesn't seem like a problem but 5% of anything bad is not good.

Again, this is NOT a white balance accuracy problem...........

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
To confirm: you see this issue with the WB set to something other than Auto or Flash?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
To confirm: you see this issue with the WB set to something other than Auto or Flash?
\
Yes, but it is always a "Fixed" WB. Never Auto.

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »
can't help, but damn dude, good work. very nice shots of very nice subjects. what am i doing shooting weddings?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »