July 29, 2014, 10:21:11 AM

Author Topic: Should I go with the genuine Battery grip or go for a 3rd Party grip  (Read 6613 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Should I go with the genuine Battery grip or go for a 3rd Party grip
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
The third party grips have a reputation of lasting from 3-6 months, depending on use.  Just buy 10 of them and you'll be set for 3 years.

sources for such a bold claim?

i would love you write not such biased nonsense all the time about third party gear, you propably have never used yourself or any experience with.

i bought my 5D MK2 over 4 years ago and the BG grip i bought for it is still absolutely fine.
the phottix BG for my 550D is from 2010 and the 550D is my cheap "throw around" camera.
the BG is also still absolutely fine.

and im not a weekend shooter....

Actually, I was wanting to buy one for my 5D MK III, but after reading reviews on the various models, I decided to just skip them.

The issue is the 5D MK III grips.  Its nice that your 5D Mark II grip worked fine, but there are tons of issues with the Grips for the 5D MK III, and I've read lots of reviews about them running down batteries, controls not working, locking up the camera, etc.
For example, read the Amazon Reviews.  Things look rosy until you see what was actually written.  The positive reviews often come from some clueless person who tells how good his 5D MK II product was and is not a review of the 5D MK III product at all.
Its like saying my 2005 Automobile was wonderful, so you will be happy with the newest model.

http://www.amazon.com/Meike-Version-Vertical-Battery-Camera/dp/B0093Y0CXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370627200&sr=8-2&keywords=5D+MK+III+grip

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3205127

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
My observation is this.....   you have already invested thousands of dollars in high-end bodies and lenses.  From what I see in your signature, probably $10,000 (or more).

Why would you take any risks (I've personally had both good and bad experience with 3rd party grips and batteries) for the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars.

I just added a 5D Mark III to my bag and did not hesitate to buy the Canon original grip and extra battery.  The grip is built like a tank and the controls are great.

You've been shooting with a 5D Mark II as well so you probably keep your gear a long time.  What you would save would amount to very little amortized over the years ahead.

Peace of mind must be worth something.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

CanonNerdy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
My observation is this.....   you have already invested thousands of dollars in high-end bodies and lenses.  From what I see in your signature, probably $10,000 (or more).

Why would you take any risks (I've personally had both good and bad experience with 3rd party grips and batteries) for the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars.

I just added a 5D Mark III to my bag and did not hesitate to buy the Canon original grip and extra battery.  The grip is built like a tank and the controls are great.

You've been shooting with a 5D Mark II as well so you probably keep your gear a long time.  What you would save would amount to very little amortized over the years ahead.

Peace of mind must be worth something.

I was thinking of it that way, and I thought why would I go cheap on it ! And at the same time I'm saving for the 85mm F1.2L II .. which made me confused a little bit.

I guess I'll go for the real grip afterall. Thanks :)
5D mk III + 16-35L + 24-105L + 85L II + 70-200L II + 580EX II + some filters and light stuff ..

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »
The risk of 3rd party is that if something goes wrong or it doesn't play well with your camera down the road  then nobody "owns"  the system.   Well you do... Personally the grip is too integral to the behavior and operation of the camera itself that I prefer to stick with canon.   I purchased the genuine article  at the same time as my 5d3
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:57:42 AM by dlleno »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
I've been using the Meike grip for my 6D for about 6 months now.  It's worked fantastic so far.  The 3rd party batteries that came with it also work pretty good.  With the money I saved not purchasing the OEM grip, I was able to purchase a filter system.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

barfbaggs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
Hi all, I wish you a happy friday,

I've been using my 5D mark III for a while now and I find the battery itself not sufficient enough for my intensive needs, so I was wondering that is it safe to get a 3rd party LP-E6 battery or it could damage my camera, same goes to the battery grip as well ..

Thanks in advance ..  ;D

My approach would be that if you have 'intensive' needs I'd go with the real thing.  ;)

Eventually ..

I'd have to agree with sporgon, although it sounds like you have already made up your mind.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »
What about weather sealing on 3rd party grip comprising camera?
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »

emko

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »

From what i read Canons grip for 5d3 is not sealed water will easily get inside.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:53:54 AM »
Hi all, I wish you a happy friday,

I've been using my 5D mark III for a while now and I find the battery itself not sufficient enough for my intensive needs, so I was wondering that is it safe to get a 3rd party LP-E6 battery or it could damage my camera, same goes to the battery grip as well ..

Thanks in advance ..  ;D

When it comes to electronics, genuine is safer.  3rd party equipment may work flawlessly but it could also damage the camera.  In which case you SOL.

msatter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »
Third party grip and original batteries over here. The original grip is overpriced for my 5D MKIII.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »
Buy gen. batteries + grip. Your 5D III deserves it ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »
Do you shoot with a camera L plate? If yes, you should forget the third party grips as they are smaller than the Canon's BG. You won't be able to use the L plate on the 5D3 + third party grip.
Light is language!

crank47

• Power Shot G16
  • Action sport & lifestyle photographer
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »

From what i read Canons grip for 5d3 is not sealed water will easily get inside.

BG-E11 is sealed. I have a Mark III catalog from canon and it has a picture of all the seals on the body and grip. the grip is sealed around the battery tray,buttons,click wheel,joystick,tripod mount and where it connects to the battery compartment on the body.
1V, 5D mkIII, 5D, 15mm 2.8 Fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 2x 580EXII, AE-1 Program with 50mm 1.4, F-Stop Loka

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
I use the BG-E11 on my 5D MK III. I admit, very expensive. But for the price I paid for my camera I wanted the best grip. So the weathersealed (with joy-stick) of Canon. I don't take a chance on non-canon batteries.

I use a Meike grip on the 7D. Just once had a problem with the shutter on the grip. I went away by itself. But honestly, I shoot more horizontal than vertical with the 7D
I am not sure but a non-canon grip and non-canon batteries might impact on the power speed of the fps. I did not test it but I am curious about it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:50:09 AM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »