December 22, 2014, 08:50:28 PM

Author Topic: 5d3 question, can i transfer CF files to the SD internally?  (Read 14081 times)

Capnbooboo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
can i transfer CF files to the SD internally?

i am been wondering if this is possible, i do not have a cf reader, i can get photos and videos of it from a usb cable and the canon EOS utility, but i have been shooting RAW files and it dos not see these, can someone explain

cheers
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:03:26 AM by Capnbooboo »
Canon 5d Mkiii 24/105 Lens Kit with Kinotehnik VF, 64GB Sandisk card/45mbs, EYE-FI 16GB, Lexar 32GB 1000x CF card.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5d3 question, can i transfer CF files to the SD internally?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
Playback menu > Image copy.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Capnbooboo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
Playback menu > Image copy.
i shoud of mentioned i was shooting with the ML firmware and RAW, i tried your method i guess it does not see the files

maybe ill ask there

thanks
Canon 5d Mkiii 24/105 Lens Kit with Kinotehnik VF, 64GB Sandisk card/45mbs, EYE-FI 16GB, Lexar 32GB 1000x CF card.

Capnbooboo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
problem solved, the new june 9 nightly built has a file menu, you can copy move etc from cf to sd card lol

sweet

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
I would like to be able to save my raw files to cf and small jpg images to sd...  and I haven't gotten that deep into the manual to see if it can do that...  though I guess no.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:42:33 AM »
I would like to be able to save my raw files to cf and small jpg images to sd...  and I haven't gotten that deep into the manual to see if it can do that...  though I guess no.

It can do it.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »

It can do it.

does it s low the camera down at all

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »

PureAmateur

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »

It can do it.

I understand that we cannot utilize the highest speed of 5d3 if we setup the camera to write files into both cards at the same time due to the limitation of the in-camera SD card speed.  So my question is if it is possible to take photos and save as RAW into the CF card first and then do a Jpeg conversion through the camera later to save the Jpeg files into the SD card?  I know how to do a single file conversion but would it be possible to select a batch of RAW files and do a batch conversion through the camera?  This workflow is very useful that we can do batch processing without a PC especially during travelling.  I have to admit that I did not read the manual completely.  Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks!

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
I'd suggest buying a USB multi-card reader. They're only about $35 or so dollars.....a pittance of money that is worth every penny.

HTH,

C

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
I understand that we cannot utilize the highest speed of 5d3 if we setup the camera to write files into both cards at the same time due to the limitation of the in-camera SD card speed.  So my question is if it is possible to take photos and save as RAW into the CF card first and then do a Jpeg conversion through the camera later to save the Jpeg files into the SD card?  I know how to do a single file conversion but would it be possible to select a batch of RAW files and do a batch conversion through the camera?  This workflow is very useful that we can do batch processing without a PC especially during travelling.  I have to admit that I did not read the manual completely.  Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Yes, and that is the only way that I have used the SD card so far (intentionally at least).  I shot dozens of pics in RAW to the CF and then batch converted them to jpgs onto to SD card.  I was then able to move the SD to an iPad and display the photos from there.  I hate how the iPad is unable to display RAW 5D III files (works with 5D II).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:51:16 AM by Random Orbits »

PureAmateur

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

Yes, and that is the only way that I have used the SD card so far (intentionally at least).  I shot dozens of pics in RAW to the CF and then batch converted them to jpgs onto to SD card.  I was then able to move the SD to an iPad and display the photos from there.  I hate how the iPad is unable to display RAW 5D III files (works with 5D II).

Hello Random Orbits, can you show me how to do batch convert in 5D3 or point me to any on-line references?  I had just tried again with my camera but still have no clue on how to do it.  Thanks!

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

It can do it.

Thanks.  I   played around with the settings  and figured it out pretty quickly.   I'm still curious if it slows down the write speed.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

Hello Random Orbits, can you show me how to do batch convert in 5D3 or point me to any on-line references?  I had just tried again with my camera but still have no clue on how to do it.  Thanks!

Actually, I can't because my memory is faulty.  You can batch copy but not batch convert.  Sorry.  I must have converted them one by one...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »

It can do it.

Thanks.  I   played around with the settings  and figured it out pretty quickly.   I'm still curious if it slows down the write speed.

It does, but it depends on how you use if.  For a single shot, it doesn't seem to matter at all.  For a burst of 5, very slight.  If you shoot enough to fill the buffer and then continue shooting, then it is very noticeable.

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »
I understand that we cannot utilize the highest speed of 5d3 if we setup the camera to write files into both cards at the same time due to the limitation of the in-camera SD card speed.

That's odd.  Most of the performance bottleneck is usually caused by the speed of the card, not anything inherent to the device that is writing/reading data, and last I checked, the fastest SD cards had almost the same write speed as the fastest CF cards, to within +/- 10% or so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »