September 22, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Author Topic: ND filters  (Read 17012 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: ND filters
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »
I like the idea of variable ND filters, but don't have one, myself. I think the optical quality is decent, perhaps not quite up to the level of a B+W single filter, but fine in real-world performance.

The issue I have with variND filters is the artifact at wider than 24mm (FF-equivalent). You get a Maltese cross at UWA focal lengths, a derivative of the uneven polarization at wide angles with a CPL (because a variND is essentially stacked polarizers).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »

Cropper

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »

I heard nothing but excellent things about the Singh Ray VariND. It allows a range of 2 to 8 stops and the quality appears to be excellent.

However it seems difficult to find (at least in Europe) and costs around $340 (77mm), $390 (77mm thin mount), $490 (82mm). Ouch !!!!!!

Love to have one though...

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
Does anyone have experience buying one set of larger filters such as 82mm (I have a 16-35mm f/2.8 II) and some step-up rings to fit lenses with smaller diameters?  Any problems such as excessive vignetting?

Also, how much better is the image quality from a single ND filter versus stacking one or more filters to get the desired density?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
I have a couple of step-up rings (67mm and 72mm up to 77mm).  No issues with vignetting.  One problem is that, with rare exceptions, a step-up ring and larger filter precludes use of the lens hood, meaning less contrast, more flare, and less protection.  They also tend to get stuck, so have a set of filter wrenches.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
I have a couple of step-up rings (67mm and 72mm up to 77mm).  No issues with vignetting.  One problem is that, with rare exceptions, a step-up ring and larger filter precludes use of the lens hood, meaning less contrast, more flare, and less protection.  They also tend to get stuck, so have a set of filter wrenches.

Baffles can help here, as can an extra hand by itself or holding a card/hat/etc to keep out stray light.

The hood isn't the only way to block out incident light. Just look at the baffles used in hollywood.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
I'm trying to get myself few filters mainly the ND grad and the standard full stop ND. Where could i found any of these in melbourne. couldn't find it in camera house and teds. Michael would cost me a fortune as their price is crazy.

You're going to hate me, but you were at least 4 months too late at the time of posting this (August 2011)

Last Christmas (or was it March/April this year?), one of the camera stores on Swanston Street did a fire sale on all of their Cokin filter stock and ND filters could be had for $10 each. I don't know if the others followed suit.

The problem is that digital cameras have made most of the filters redundant, with only polarisers and ND filters having any market value now. I think that Cokin are borderline bankruptcy or otherwise struggling and hence stores are finding it to hard get stock, never mind what they think of it being worthwhile keeping in stock.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:35:21 PM by dilbert »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »

Thanks, good to know.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »

Baffles can help here, as can an extra hand by itself or holding a card/hat/etc to keep out stray light.

The hood isn't the only way to block out incident light. Just look at the baffles used in hollywood.

Can you point me to any alternate "hoods" that would screw into an 82mm filter thread?  I have a Mamiya rubber lens hood that screws into a 77mm filter thread but that one is for longer lenses.  I use it for shooting hockey with my 70-200mm and 7D... I especially like it if I'm ever shooting through the glass... I can put it right up the glass and if the players hit the boards or someone bumps me it has some give so I won't get a black eye!

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
A bit late, but if you are in Australia, I've found the the best place to buy filters is ebay.  There are a couple of UK and Canadian businesses in particular that carry an extensive filter range with well priced, quick postage.   As you've discovered, local shops either don't carry a full range or ask exorbitant prices.  B&H, Adorama etc are great for bigger purchases, but their postage costs make them uncompetitive for smaller items. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
A bit late, but if you are in Australia, I've found the the best place to buy filters is ebay.  There are a couple of UK and Canadian businesses in particular that carry an extensive filter range with well priced, quick postage.   As you've discovered, local shops either don't carry a full range or ask exorbitant prices.  B&H, Adorama etc are great for bigger purchases, but their postage costs make them uncompetitive for smaller items.
That is the conclusion I am coming to.  I should have been more proactive, and ordered something from overseas, but my wife had hundreds of prints that needed to get out to clients, so my time was occupied with trips to Collingwood to pick up prints....

I guess that is a reason for another trip to Tassie after I get hold of some black glass....
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 01:38:58 AM »
I guess that is a reason for another trip to Tassie after I get hold of some black glass....
If you'll be down south try giving Walch Optics in Hobart a call, I haven't been in there myself yet (been meaning to) but a few people have told me they carry good stock of some more obscure and/or professional items. They might also be able to order one and have it ready for you to pick up.

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 02:10:56 AM »
1. Has anyone tried Heliopan ND filters - my search did suggest some controversies about color casting etc but overall a good impression.
2. 82 mm Schneider Kreuznach is really difficult to order outside the US. Neuro, how is yours going? I need to put a 82 on my 21 CZ Distagon and want to step down to 72 and 67 over adapters. Good idea with the baffles, dilbert, thanks.
3. Schott glass seems to match the Zeiss glass somehow in the reviews. Is there any suggestion that certain lens types "prefer" certain filter makes? in terms of color and sharpness in particular. Do you loose sharpness when using a 3-stop ND B+W or whatever?
I just can't find an answer to these questions anywhere, guys, sorry! I need some advice before a spend half the price of a new S100... on one filter...
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »
fotobrenner.de

Go for the Heliopan... they are, if not the best, amongst the top in the world. Hardly any light fall off and image degradation. I can highly recommend them.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 06:27:12 AM »
If you'll be down south try giving Walch Optics in Hobart a call, I haven't been in there myself yet (been meaning to) but a few people have told me they carry good stock of some more obscure and/or professional items. They might also be able to order one and have it ready for you to pick up.
Hobart will be our first stop - driving through after we get off the ferry in Devonport, so I will give it a bash.  Thanks for the hint.  I've dropped them an email...
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks, leGreve! Ordered Heliopan 82 10 stops and 3 stops with step up adapters. Not there yet - Germany is a long way away from me now. 
Now, after trying NIKSoftware I can't see a justification for a graduated ND anymore. That one does the job for me. I am impatient to try Silver Efex Pro with the 10 Stop Heliopan.
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »