July 29, 2014, 09:59:09 PM

Poll

How will you be upgrading to LR5

Buy perpetual LR5 licence now
65 (63.7%)
Pay for Creative Cloud now
7 (6.9%)
Hold off upgrading LR in case adobe releases new CC price package for LR&PS users
6 (5.9%)
Hold off upgrading LR until PS with a solid/must have feature is released
10 (9.8%)
Hold off upgrading hoping PS&LR perpetual licensing becomes an option
14 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Adobe LR5 Released, how are you upgrading/buying?  (Read 13285 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Adobe LR5 Released, how are you upgrading/buying?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

Subscription based licensing is where most software will be headed. It reduces overhead costs (big reason) and allows a company to apply for a "Green" waste reduction credit on their taxes (small amount) by not selling a boxed version and not producing a large amount of waste in terms of packaging.

Overhead costs of a company are none of my concern. If a company can't manage their income & expense's, no amount of money will fix that. Infact, all it will lead to is price gouging in the future.

Now online only download .exe's for install is a good idea, no more packaging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

sanfranchristo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
I'm on the fence. The new features seem nice, but I am most interested in any performance increases, which I'll wait for some user reports on. I won't be going the CC route, but I am quite irked by the universal upgrade cost. I wish they'd tier it - I doesn't seem right to charge the same amount for those who upgrade to each version as those who upgrade from much earlier ones.

mvinson1022

• Power Shot G16
  • Fuji X-E1 and Canon 5D Markiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »
I purchased an academic CC license.  Gets me PS and LR (worth $18/month) plus Acrobat (with $5-10 month) so I am basically getting a fair deal.

Me too!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
My copy of the upgrade is downloading right now.  I've been using the beta, the two big differences, the straighten tool and the radial filter are worth it to me.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »
My copy of the upgrade is downloading right now.  I've been using the beta, the two big differences, the straighten tool and the radial filter are worth it to me.

Ditto.... 92%, 95%, 99%.... Extracting!

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
I'm with you!  I've been using the beta version since the offering and I much prefer it over LR4.  The beta has been a bit testy at times but it's a beta version so what do you expect? 

I love the radial filter and the straighten tool is excellent!  The clone/heal brush in the beta is pretty decent but far from perfect.  I hope the final release is a little better with regard to that...  Easily worth the upgrade to me... :D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

mikeclary

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
I skipped the beta version and I've just been following comments on various blogs as they worked out the wrinkles. Bit the bullet last week and joined Adobe Creative Cloud so I was able to download LR 5 last night.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
Give me perpetual or give me death!   ::)

I upgraded because its the main software that I use.  In fact, it may be the reason I finally upgrade my desktop to 10.8!  i'm still in 10.6.8... I;ve managed to doge other reasons to upgrade.... LR may make me do the jump.
I upgraded from SL to ML last week in anticipation of LR5.  Now I read that the Slideshow module in LR5 has quite a few problems and I use that module a lot.  So I am going to hold off for now and see if they fix Slideshow in LR5.1.  So now I have ML, with which I am NOT bonding, and sorely missing SL. :(

gary samples

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
Now this Is just me
but I will never buy LR or CC  I have CS6 and if I have to can use it a very long time . hoping they pull there head out.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 02:51:05 PM »
Can anyone confirm that LR5 works just as well with Photoshop CS6 (non-CC) as LR4 did?

Just wanting to make sure it is 100% compatible...and doesn't require CC at this time to work with PS.

cayenne

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
None of the response options in the poll fit my situation. I'm using LR4, and will wait until my vendor of choice (Newegg.com) offers the program at a substantial discount (as they did with LR4). I can see the value in the new features, but none that I have read about are must-haves for me.

I won't buy into the subscription-based model for any software application unless / until it becomes the only option for a program I absolutely must have for my business. I tend to upgrade only after a new release has had time to stabilize, and frequently skip multiple major releases. (I didn't upgrade from Windows XP to7 until 2011, skipping Vista altogether, and am still using MS Office 2007 and QuickBooks 2008.)
Photographic equipment

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
None of the response options in the poll fit my situation. I'm using LR4, and will wait until my vendor of choice (Newegg.com) offers the program at a substantial discount (as they did with LR4). I can see the value in the new features, but none that I have read about are must-haves for me.

I also don't see my situation in the poll answers: I already have CC. But I can understand that it's not in the answers because it's a completely different mindstate. You just grab whatever you need, whenever you need it. It's crazy. Admitedly, it's too pricey for most. But if you use 3+ Adobe programs on a regular basis and for many years in a row, then it's worth it.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »
Up until now for I have been upgrading PS and LR as and when they were updated, as a matter of habit more than for new features. I cant say that I like the idea of CC, for more reasons than price, but that itself is another topic! I have no interest in the current PS CC tools like blur reduction and am happy with CS6. Lightroom 5 doesn't have anything immediately 'must have' but I would like to keep it up to date. I'm in a quandary as to whether I should pay for the perpetual licence or wait until a kick ass CS# is released and then grumble and go the CC route, where LR5 would be included.
What are your thoughts on this?

Use PS/ACR. Don't trust them on LR anyway. Already they hint any decent new features in the future will be CC for LR too. Not in the mind to give them any money now just to get the newest ACR that PS CS6 doesn't have.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
I guess every Adobe-related post will now devolve into rants for/against Creative Cloud.

Is it really worth all that hot air?

yes

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »
Subscription based licensing is where most software will be headed. It reduces overhead costs (big reason) and allows a company to apply for a "Green" waste reduction credit on their taxes (small amount) by not selling a boxed version and not producing a large amount of waste in terms of packaging.

You hardly need CC to get that. And it's hardly even a cloud application anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »