August 30, 2014, 02:28:12 AM

Poll

How will you be upgrading to LR5

Buy perpetual LR5 licence now
65 (63.7%)
Pay for Creative Cloud now
7 (6.9%)
Hold off upgrading LR in case adobe releases new CC price package for LR&PS users
6 (5.9%)
Hold off upgrading LR until PS with a solid/must have feature is released
10 (9.8%)
Hold off upgrading hoping PS&LR perpetual licensing becomes an option
14 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Adobe LR5 Released, how are you upgrading/buying?  (Read 13719 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe LR5 Released, how are you upgrading/buying?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
Am I right in my understanding that this is the last upgrade before all new upgrades are done in the cloud? And that if you do upgrade from 4 to 5 you will not be forced at a later stage to sign up to the cloud - you can therefore use LR5 for as long as you want?

Thanks.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »
 I'm not upgrading.    I finally learned how to use four...

I'll probably upgrade my monitor before my software.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

VitorMachado

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
Does anyone know the easiest way to move all my LR4 photos/collections into LR5? I didn't get a dialogue when I first launched it.
6D | 60D | 24 f/1.4L II | 50 f/1.2L | 40 f/2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitormachadophotography/

photogjack

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
It's quite easy. Launch LR5, under FILE go to "Open Catalog" (also Shift-Command-O on a Mac), select the catalog you want to open. At this point, LR5 will ask if you want to update the catalog. Click yes and go get a pizza and a beer. I have 65,000 images in my catalog and it took quite a while to update the catalog. All my collections, smart collections, presets, etc were intact. Also leaves your original catalog untouched making it easy to step back to LR4 if you choose to.

Does anyone know the easiest way to move all my LR4 photos/collections into LR5? I didn't get a dialogue when I first launched it.

VitorMachado

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »
It's quite easy. Launch LR5, under FILE go to "Open Catalog" (also Shift-Command-O on a Mac), select the catalog you want to open. At this point, LR5 will ask if you want to update the catalog. Click yes and go get a pizza and a beer. I have 65,000 images in my catalog and it took quite a while to update the catalog. All my collections, smart collections, presets, etc were intact. Also leaves your original catalog untouched making it easy to step back to LR4 if you choose to.

Thank you so much for this!
6D | 60D | 24 f/1.4L II | 50 f/1.2L | 40 f/2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitormachadophotography/

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
I think Adobe has permanently weaned me off the hind teat. Even so, I feel no bitterness. Since my money is apparently not good enough for them, I'm not able to purchase their products. Besides, I have licenses for Lr 4.4 and CS6, so I really won't need an upgrade until I buy an unsupported camera.

IFF DXO Labs starts to support Fuji X-trans sensors (strongly rumoured), I may give it a whirl... but  If Nik and Topaz Labs offered products compatible with DXO, the decision would be even easier.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »
Yippy ... Finally upgraded to LR5 :)
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 02:48:06 AM »
Am I right in my understanding that this is the last upgrade before all new upgrades are done in the cloud? And that if you do upgrade from 4 to 5 you will not be forced at a later stage to sign up to the cloud - you can therefore use LR5 for as long as you want?

Thanks.

Well, it's an excellent question, one which Adobe are playing a little footloose on answering.

Adobe are saying, currently, that LR5 will be a standalone product, available outside the Cloud and available to Creative Cloud subscription when you take the Entire Package.

But, Adobe are also saying that they are "Looking at" a "Photographic" package that would include Photoshop + Lightroom. If they do offer this in the CC subscription, how long before they take the current stance they have with Photoshop also with Lightroom. I seems to me that Adobe once they make Lightroom available as a subscription would (This is conjecture), at some point offer Lightroom only as a Subscription.

Using LR5 for for as long as you want only works until you reach a point where your current Operating System and Camera are no longer part of the ACR updates, i.e.. If LR6 goes to subscription & you buy a 1DXs, your sort of screwed using say LR5 that only covers say OSX 10.8.5 and 1Dx.

My own view on this is that I own CS6 Suite + this morning I downloaded LR5, I'm hopeful that someone like On One Software will in the next 12 months see an absolute Golden Opportunity to slip the slipper to Adobe and become a Giant Killer.

I just don't agree with Renting something as important to me as the Software that I use every day, I'm using my consumer power and simply deciding to utilise Adobe for as long as is absolutely necessary then jump ship to someone that hasn't tried to strong arm me.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »

Thanks.
My own view on this is that I own CS6 Suite + this morning I downloaded LR5, I'm hopeful that someone like On One Software will in the next 12 months see an absolute Golden Opportunity to slip the slipper to Adobe and become a Giant Killer.
+1 ... I think this is a golden opportunity for several of them such as On One, Nik, Aperture etc to "slip the slipper" to Adobe.

I just don't agree with Renting something as important to me as the Software that I use every day, I'm using my consumer power and simply deciding to utilise Adobe for as long as is absolutely necessary then jump ship to someone that hasn't tried to strong arm me.
+1 ... Well said
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

DFM

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Adobe Community Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 05:23:59 AM »
Nothing footloose at all - the statements about Adobe's plans for Lightroom going forward are clear:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-faq-frequently-asked-questions.html

There are no plans to make Lightroom subscription-only, period. The customer base for consumer products (Lr and the Elements applications) is completely different to that of Creative Cloud, which is why they retain boxed media options and perpetual licenses. The fact Lr has been bundled with CC for months already doesn't change the business model, and neither will any hypothetical 'mini-CC for photographers' should that be announced in future.

Well, it's an excellent question, one which Adobe are playing a little footloose on answering.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
Nothing footloose at all - the statements about Adobe's plans for Lightroom going forward are clear:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-faq-frequently-asked-questions.html

There are no plans to make Lightroom subscription-only, period. The customer base for consumer products (Lr and the Elements applications) is completely different to that of Creative Cloud, which is why they retain boxed media options and perpetual licenses. The fact Lr has been bundled with CC for months already doesn't change the business model, and neither will any hypothetical 'mini-CC for photographers' should that be announced in future.

Well, your wrong, I have read several responses from Adobe on Adobe Forums that they ARE looking at a Mini CC for Photographers, and for you to state "Period" about any Business Plan of any Company that supplies software such as Adobe, is patently ridiculous, if it's in Adobes best interests to Can the whole CC set up, they would do it in a New York second, it's about Money, Only about Money.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Gadger

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »
Up-graded yesterday via adobe website and downloaded.  Love the advanced healing brush the most, saves going into Photoshop CS6 every time. Liked the ideal of the smart previews. I use Lightroom about 95% of the time and PS CS6 5%. So for me it's a must upgrade.  :)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 07:48:11 AM »
Currently using LR 4.4. When we upgraded from 3.x to 4.0 like so many others there was a numbing, maddening slowdown in LR performance. The new tools and file quality were just great, but arrrgh...so slow.

What is the experience so far from upgraders to LR5 in respect to speed?

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 07:48:11 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »

Well, your wrong, I have read several responses from Adobe on Adobe Forums that they ARE looking at a Mini CC for Photographers, and for you to state "Period" about any Business Plan of any Company that supplies software such as Adobe, is patently ridiculous, if it's in Adobes best interests to Can the whole CC set up, they would do it in a New York second, it's about Money, Only about Money.
That is the long and the short of it, and people just don't get corporations and the way they make decisions.

For all the "protests", petitions, and angst people fail to even read Adobe's own projections. They expect to lose people, lots of people, they also expect to lose a lot of money in the short-mid term, they don't anticipate higher revenues even possible before 2015 but probably later.

So what is the upside for Adobe? Well they have a revenue stream that is based on the work they have already done, not the work they are doing now. The "Suite" is a mature product and many creatives can make anything in any program they are using, sure the occasional bell is nice but "must have" features are harder and harder to come up with. Tie the subscription model in to the OS compatibility and the processor capability and they don't actually have to come out with anything new indefinitely, but the subscriber must keep paying.

Add in some corporate strategic purchases, imagine a situation where Adobe buys any decent competition and kills it, and whilst some might think I sound like a conspiracy theory nut history has demonstrated time and time again that nimble well managed companies can and do operate that way.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
For those pondering the standalone upgrade...last I knew  You can only  skip one rev... I. E.  3 to 5 is good but the upgrade won't work if you are going  from 3 to 6.  Ergo.. My lr 3 is getting the upgrade

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »