September 23, 2014, 12:23:55 AM

Author Topic: About to start with Focal  (Read 11904 times)

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: About to start with Focal
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »
I'm still not sure about this not using laser printer business. It's quite limiting using ink jet printers and non fluorescent light (what building these days doesn't have them?) and still trying to get enough light to run it. I could go outside but then what about wind, clouds and changing light etc?

How are you guys running it? Are you using additional LED lights or something?
The FoCal manual says that ink jet printer is preferred because laser printer printouts can be reflective, which could affect the results. It also says that if you use a laser printer, make sure to position the lights to minimize reflections (whatever that means - in an angle I assume?)
I did not have an ink jet available, and printed the target on two different laser printers at work, then chose the one that looked less reflective. For lighting, I simply bought two 250W work lights (similar to these, I chose a cheaper brand) and placed them close to the target, one to the right and one to the left. That gave me about 11EV, and I got consistent results.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »
I use halogen (tungsten) lighting, and an inkjet-printed target.  But I haven't tried a laser printout...

So, is that a light pointed at the target or does the entire room need to be lit up? Could I have a moderately lit room but brightly lit target?

I just light the target itself, at pretty close range (inverse square law).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »
I use halogen (tungsten) lighting, and an inkjet-printed target.  But I haven't tried a laser printout...

So, is that a light pointed at the target or does the entire room need to be lit up? Could I have a moderately lit room but brightly lit target?

I just light the target itself, at pretty close range (inverse square law).

Gotcha! Cheers!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
I really can't work out if I need the Plus version either as my 5D3 won't do Fully Auto.

For me, the Pro version is worth it for the other tests (AF consistency, multipoint focus, aperture sharpness, etc.).

+1!  Harry, get the Pro version...  Neuro is right, just the aperture sharpness test, the ability to change ISO, the ability to set shutter activation after mirror lock-up...  It's worth it...

Regarding laser printing of the target...  Somewhere in all the FoCal documentation is a warning against using laser printers - the reflectivity of the fused toner can confuse the software...  Also why they recommend matte paper in your inkjet as opposed to glossy...

The thing is, like I said before and given the version they are currently on, there is going to be a paid upgrade around the corner, and I really don't want to spend that much.

All I want to do is AFMA my lenses. The readouts are not much good to me in the field as the settings are usually dictated by the circumstances.

The thing I'm really confused about is the difference between the Standard and Plus versions as I have a 5D3 which won't do fully automatic anyway.

Is the Semi Auto the one where it does everything and all I have to do is input the settings in the camera? If so, then that is all I need, the Plus would be a waste of money.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
The thing is, like I said before and given the version they are currently on, there is going to be a paid upgrade around the corner, and I really don't want to spend that much.

All I want to do is AFMA my lenses. The readouts are not much good to me in the field as the settings are usually dictated by the circumstances.

Sorry, I don't get it. 'All you want to do' is basic AFMA, but you don't want to buy v1.9 then pay for a v2.0 upgrade. So don't upgrade. Your v1.9 will still do basic AFMA even after v2 comes out...

I find the other tests most helpful for testing new lenses/bodies.

I'm not positive, but I think you need the fully automatic calibration for it to do everything but setting the AFMA value itself, which you must do manually thanks to Canon's SDK.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »

Sorry, I don't get it. 'All you want to do' is basic AFMA, but you don't want to buy v1.9 then pay for a v2.0 upgrade. So don't upgrade. Your v1.9 will still do basic AFMA even after v2 comes out...

I find the other tests most helpful for testing new lenses/bodies.

I'm not positive, but I think you need the fully automatic calibration for it to do everything but setting the AFMA value itself, which you must do manually thanks to Canon's SDK.

Fair point, Neuro. It's just my tightness and I like to have the latest software for my money. I don't like it to be out of date soon after I've bought it.

I think I'll just spring for the Plus version. They'll probably do a discount for version 2 anyway.

Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »

The thing I'm really confused about is the difference between the Standard and Plus versions as I have a 5D3 which won't do fully automatic anyway.

Is the Semi Auto the one where it does everything and all I have to do is input the settings in the camera? If so, then that is all I need, the Plus would be a waste of money.
No, that is Fully Automatic with MSC (Manual Settings Change) and is the easiest way to AFMA a 5D3
From what I read, I'd probably prefer the Manual Mode (where you shoot the target with different AFMA values and then load them into FoCal) over the Semi-auto mode. The latter doesn't seem to be easy to use

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

No, that is Fully Automatic with MSC (Manual Settings Change) and is the easiest way to AFMA a 5D3
From what I read, I'd probably prefer the Manual Mode (where you shoot the target with different AFMA values and then load them into FoCal) over the Semi-auto mode. The latter doesn't seem to be easy to use

Excellent. Thanks!

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »

Excellent. Thanks!
Btw there is no extra option for the "Fully Automatic with MSC". Just follow the instructions to setup target and camera, launch Focal, and choose the "Fully Automatic" option. FoCal will do the MSC automatically when it sees a 5D3 or 1DX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »