October 24, 2014, 10:57:04 PM

Author Topic: Sinful thought: pairing my ancient 5D classic with a EOS M  (Read 6588 times)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Sinful thought: pairing my ancient 5D classic with a EOS M
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »
If you're really serious about traveling light, there's no point getting a small body unless you can attach to it lenses that are first rate, light and small; and the best range of such lenses right now seems to be in the Olympus/Panasonic M43 camp (which is why I recently bought into it as an adjunct to my Canon FF gear).  Or get a first-rate point-and-shoot such as the Sony RX100.  As someone else pointed out, if you take a few Canon EF or EF-S lenses with you, they will weigh more than any body you take; you might as well take your 5D and be done with it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »

JohanCruyff

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 02:31:11 AM »
I went to Paris last year (also) to test my new 17-40.

Dang... I just walk around my neighborhood to test mine...  ;D

I hope your neighbours are less French than French people.  ;)

BREAKING NEWS!

According to my wife's yesterday's resolution, the combo 5Dc + 24-105 does not conflict with the idea of light traveling!

I can add a spare battery + battery charger + this tool + a polarizing filter + a 430 EX2 and forget the M or SL1 or whatever else!

BTW, I want to share something I found on an italian forum: an official list of Canon Lenses which could take longer to focus or be unable to focus with the M exists.

The list includes my beloved 100mm Macro F/2.8 IS L. :(

http://www.canon.it/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_M.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:80-978233&page=1&type=faq
"Fuori produzione" means "Discontinued".

[/size]Let's hope the new firmware will partially fix this..
[/font]
[/size]Sorry for the OT but I also want to share that I read that , for the same lenses mounted on the Canon 6D, it is recommended to focus in live-view choosing the Quick Mode option: Flexy-Zone and Face-Detection could focus very slow or not focus at all.http://www.canon.it/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_6DWG.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:80-1002640&page=1&type=faqThanks again for your suggestions, my fellows! :)
Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

JohanCruyff

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!
My EOS M arrived today.

I know my supporters will certainly ask themselves "How did he convince himself to purchase the M?".
The answer is simple: they basically PAID ME to get a M.

Let me explain this.

a) I saw an on-line italian shop offering a "full kit" (EOS M + EFM 22mm + EFM 18-55mm + Flash 90EX + Mount Adapter" at an irresistible price: 535€.
b) Then I considered that the same vendor offered:
i. EFM 18-55: 125€
ii. EFM 22mm: 180€
iii. 90EX: 85€
iv. Mount Adapter: 95€.

c)So, [535 - (125+180+85+95)]... it was 50€ for the EOS M!!! But 50€ was still a huge  ::)  amount of money for a mirrorless! I couldn't justify paying it.

d) Therefore I had to consider that with the EOS M they sent me an original Canon LP-E12 battery, which costs abount 55€.

So, basically, they paid me 5€ to buy the EOS M.  8)    ;D 

If a new "M2" comes out with a better autofocus & viewfinder & battery & GPS & Wifi & Megapixel & S/N & DR, and I decide to upgrade, I won't feel guilty about wasting my money.  ;)

[BTW, I immediately ordered two 32GB SD (i.e. about 2,000 pictures in RAW), the lens hood for the 18-55mm and an extra battery... 135€... but I consider them just consumable materials  ::) ]
Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
FWIW, recently returned from long trip through Central Asia with my 5Diii + 24-105 + 17-40 + 40.  I used the 24-105 for over 90% of my photos.  The 40 was used just a few times and many of these will not be "keeper" shots.  The 17-40 came into use in some interiors of buildings.  In retrospect, I could have done the whole trip with just the 24-105 and been happy.  (BTW, I did not bring a flash and only shot existing light but that is something for which the 5Diii is quite capable).

I now also own an M.  I have the 22 and an adapter so any of my existing lenses can be attached.  Although I've not yet shot extensively with the M, I can state that if I was going on a trip where the photos were very important to me, I'd always carry the DSLR.  The big camera has more flexibility and better IQ.  The M will be my backup (I do like the camera) and will go with me for those occasions where "snapshots" might be the norm, like an upcoming family beach outing.

Carry your 5D and your 24-105 and put these into a nice shoulder bag like the TT Retrospective and enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:16:07 PM by JPAZ »
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
FWIW, recently returned from long trip through Central Asia with my 5Diii + 24-105 + 17-40 + 40.  I used the 24-105 for over 90% of my photos.  The 40 was used just a few times and many of these will not be "keeper" shots.  The 17-40 came into use in some interiors of buildings.  In retrospect, I could have done the whole trip with just the 24-105 and been happy.  (BTW, I did not bring a flash and only shot existing light but that is something for which the 5Diii is quite capable).

I now also own an M.  I have the 22 and an adapter so any of my existing lenses can be attached.  Although I've not yet shot extensively with the M, I can state that if I was going on a trip where the photos were very important to me, I'd always carry the DSLR.  The big camera has more flexibility and better IQ.  The M will be my backup (I do like the camera) and will go with me for those occasions where "snapshots" might be the norm, like an upcoming family beach outing.

Carry your 5D and your 24-105 and put these into a nice shoulder bag like the TT Retrospective and enjoy your trip.

I am in the same boat about making use of my dslr.  I'd be more likely to skimp by ONLY using a standard zoom (instead of a collection of primes), than worrying about the physical size/weight of my camera body.  Either way the camera takes up a hand/shoulder...  I'm fairly beefy compared to the average human being so maybe thats why I don't mind having my DSLR attached to me...

Along with the BR strap, its perfectly comfortable for me.  And any shots that have to be quick and relatively unimportant, might as well use my phone. 

That was my well-thought-out justification for not cashing in on the $299 M deal anyway.... LOL.  But its true though I think...
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

padmasana

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
Well I do hope that Turkey is still intact for your trip ...
There is no way I'd be happy going there without the 5D, and I think the M would be a good companion for when your wife tells you it's time to put away the 5D. :-[ :-[

davidcharding

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • David Harding Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:57 AM »
I was in Turkey a couple of years ago - took 5DC, 24-105 (& Zuiko 18mm, which I needn't have bothered with really)
My advice, for what it's worth - keep it simple - stick with the 5D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:57 AM »

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
I too am going on a trip next week and also intend to travel light..well, travel light != carry light :)
Basically, i'm still going to bring my 5D3 with my 24-70II and my 600EX flash..BUT those will be packed into the cabin luggage and not my backpack..
All i'm carrying on my back is my EOS M with the 22mm kit.
For me, i'm only going to bring out the 5D when i know i'll need it…it's a matter of pre-planning the locations I'll be visiting or if i know there'll be a car to ferry me around, i'll bring along the 5D.
For most cases, i believe the M is enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »