April 20, 2014, 06:14:35 AM

Author Topic: New Macpro teased at Mac Conference  (Read 6495 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: New Macpro teased at Mac Conference
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
As an audio engineer relying on pci-express expansion cards and working on pro tools this new mac pro without any expansion card slots is a pile of crap. :(

I can see lots of studios moving to windows because of this.

form cripples function.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/PCIe_Chassis/Mercury_Helios

I know this exists but we are also using raid storage for example and I can't see why i should get a ton of extra cases / expansion chassis instead of checking out the PC world.

You don't have any NAS disk systems running RAID outside of your computers' cases???

That's pretty common these days, rarely do you depend on the disk drives internal to the computer case....at least in my experience with anyone doing serious data storage, redundancy and even backup (mirrored RAID disk systems, tape, etc).

NAS Systems are more for the home user, not for professional use. If this is a professional workstation as it is marketed to be, no one in their right mind would use an external raid array. Too much too loose. Much better off getting a workstation that has advanced raid controllers in order to adequately support a large internal hd array. Anyways, my bet would be the mainboard in this computer wont support past raid 5.

Funny, in my server environments...we have SAN storage...effectively NAS....

Very seldom n the high end systems I work on for my day job, do I rely on servers with internal storage....and I'm talking multi-multi-terrabytes of data. Per server.

I'm quite used to using off server storage, with different RAID levels....different filesystems, etc. I'd say it certainly is professional in level to have your storage external to your CPUs.

Kinda funny when you omit my comment about how this is not applicable to servers and your entire response is about servers...

There is no use arguing apples and oranges.

Server is just another name for a computer.....what do you differentiate on...form ? Function? Capability?

I have a number of computers I use at home that are pretty high end, and different form factors...which criteria would you use to differentiate them from server to 'normal' computer?

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
With regards Apples, the subjects of the thread, a server is easily defined as any Apple computer running the server software.

When they do run the software they show up as servers, not as glorified shared folders on a network.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

captainkanji

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »
I've been slowly moving into the Apple camp over the last few years.  So far, it's the iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. I'm really interested in the Mac book pro for Lightroom on location. They are a bit out of my price range at the moment so I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini just for LR and converting my catalog. I haven't used an Apple computer since the Apple IIe and need to learn the ropes. I'm more excited for IOS 7  ;D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-105mm f/4L,  EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 03:25:36 AM »
Lightroom will run as well on a cheaper pc, the mac mini is handy for certain things, a basic imac may be better value overall though.

Grumbaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »
I've been slowly moving into the Apple camp over the last few years.  So far, it's the iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. I'm really interested in the Mac book pro for Lightroom on location. They are a bit out of my price range at the moment so I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini just for LR and converting my catalog. I haven't used an Apple computer since the Apple IIe and need to learn the ropes. I'm more excited for IOS 7  ;D

I'm a long time mac fan but I'll advise against buying a mac mini if you are planning to use it with a DSLR. Even good mac mini are average at best as soon as you have a consequent photo library and do moderate editing (aperture + nik).

On the other hand I don't think mac pro are a necessity if you're not into heavy video editing or 3d rendering. My maxed out iMac 27"mid 2012 model is breezing through all my needs while running other heavy lifting (encoding, 1080 movie running not to get bored, compressing the exports and so forth). A lower model would thus probably be adequat for non gratuitous use.

TLDR: Serious hobbyist to stills only pros = iMac.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
My Impression was $$,$$$
Sounds impressive though.  The tube shape might be optimal for cooling.

Not just the cost of the tube, but the cost of all the thunderbolt devices!!  Seagate Backup Plus with thunderbolt is $230 while $90 with USB 3.0.  That is $140 per device.  Hope the costs come down soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »