March 30, 2015, 04:15:59 PM

Author Topic: New Macpro teased at Mac Conference  (Read 10841 times)

captainkanji

• EOS M2
Re: New Macpro teased at Mac Conference
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »
I've been slowly moving into the Apple camp over the last few years.  So far, it's the iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. I'm really interested in the Mac book pro for Lightroom on location. They are a bit out of my price range at the moment so I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini just for LR and converting my catalog. I haven't used an Apple computer since the Apple IIe and need to learn the ropes. I'm more excited for IOS 7  ;D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 03:25:36 AM »
Lightroom will run as well on a cheaper pc, the mac mini is handy for certain things, a basic imac may be better value overall though.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »
I've been slowly moving into the Apple camp over the last few years.  So far, it's the iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. I'm really interested in the Mac book pro for Lightroom on location. They are a bit out of my price range at the moment so I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini just for LR and converting my catalog. I haven't used an Apple computer since the Apple IIe and need to learn the ropes. I'm more excited for IOS 7  ;D

I'm a long time mac fan but I'll advise against buying a mac mini if you are planning to use it with a DSLR. Even good mac mini are average at best as soon as you have a consequent photo library and do moderate editing (aperture + nik).

On the other hand I don't think mac pro are a necessity if you're not into heavy video editing or 3d rendering. My maxed out iMac 27"mid 2012 model is breezing through all my needs while running other heavy lifting (encoding, 1080 movie running not to get bored, compressing the exports and so forth). A lower model would thus probably be adequat for non gratuitous use.

TLDR: Serious hobbyist to stills only pros = iMac.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
My Impression was $$,$$$
Sounds impressive though.  The tube shape might be optimal for cooling.

Not just the cost of the tube, but the cost of all the thunderbolt devices!!  Seagate Backup Plus with thunderbolt is $230 while $90 with USB 3.0.  That is $140 per device.  Hope the costs come down soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »