October 21, 2014, 10:00:42 PM

Author Topic: Worth getting an SD card for 5D3?  (Read 10574 times)

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Worth getting an SD card for 5D3?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
All of my 1's are loaded with both CF and SD, usually 32GB sets. The camera is usually set to write to the CF with the SD as overflow. That way, if I fill a card, I don't have to stop immediately and swap CFs.

However, during critical shoots (weddings) I would write to both for redundancy. That would have been a neat feature in the film days! Before this, I would only shoot 8GB single cards, so that each card could be written to a DVD+DL as a "negative" archive. I still teach new shooters to start with 4GB cards (1 card=1 DVD) to establish good habits.

Even when tethering, I still store at least one copy on a card. That way, should something happen to the tether box, I still have the RAWs and go from there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
When you insert a SD card in a 5D MKIII also the writing speed to the CF card is reduced due to design by Canon.

It only slows down if you're writing to SD, (i.e., RAW to CF, JPEG to SD), just having it in there does not slow down writing to CF.

I remember reading someone did test on this (maybe at POTN), and the conclusion was that even having SD card in will slow down the CF card, because the data bus speed will default to slower speed. Having only CF will benefit higher data bus speed.

So I've never even inserted SD card. I guess I should try it works.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but I did read someone testing that and with such conclusion. I haven't tested myself.

M.ST

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
Forget SD-cards in a 5D Mark III. Canon put an old SD-card-controller in the camera.

Please put a 2 CF-card-slot in the 5D Mark IV. We don´t need sd-card for professional use.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
When you insert a SD card in a 5D MKIII also the writing speed to the CF card is reduced due to design by Canon.

It only slows down if you're writing to SD, (i.e., RAW to CF, JPEG to SD), just having it in there does not slow down writing to CF.

I remember reading someone did test on this (maybe at POTN), and the conclusion was that even having SD card in will slow down the CF card, because the data bus speed will default to slower speed. Having only CF will benefit higher data bus speed.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but I did read someone testing that and with such conclusion. I haven't tested myself.

I saw (probably) the same post, then I saw someone claim they were wrong...  So I tested myself.  There is no slowdown just having the SD in the camera, it only slows down if you are writing to it.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »
I've never had an issue using the SD card in the 5DIII other than you are limited to 6 or 7 frame bursts in RAW mode....compared to 13 or 14 with the CF card.

Thanks for all the replies peeps. You've helped a lot in making my decision.

The question I have left, however, is whether anyone would trust ONLY an SD card? (For slower shootion situations of course.)

It's just that I will be running my MkII and MkIII side by side for a while, and can only afford to get an SD. So that'll have to go int the MkIII, and the CF stay in the MkII for the time being.

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »

I saw (probably) the same post, then I saw someone claim they were wrong...  So I tested myself.  There is no slowdown just having the SD in the camera, it only slows down if you are writing to it.

Ok, good to know. Not sure if I'll do it anyway, but I guess doesn't hurt. Especially if the CF became full, you can still catch the shot. Although CF shouldn't come full by surprise, that's just bad. I start getting nervous when I'm below 100 estimated shots.

I have a reception coming and I was planning to put 64GB SD in to double store everything. Most non-critical shoots, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
I use the sd card as overflow.   When the cf is full, the camera writes to the sd.   When shooting slows I swap out cf cards.   If I have time I copy the few images on the sd card back to the cf card

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
The question I have left, however, is whether anyone would trust ONLY an SD card? (For slower shootion situations of course.)
On a couple of occasions, I have used only an SD card on my 5D MK III and it works just fine ... did not notice any "slowdown" ... the cards I used were SanDisk 64GB and 32 GB SDXC Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I (Max Read Speed 95MB/s & Max Write Speed 90 MB/s) ... I also tried using only a SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC UHS-1 (Max Read/Write Speed 45 MB/s), which slowed down after a couple of shots. On both occasions I did not shoot more than 4 RAW + JPEG shots in quick succession. With my limited experience I suppose any SD card that is slower than 45 MB/s will significantly slowdown the 5D MK III (that is if you are using only SD card i.e. without the CF card). Since you are considering using only SD cards because they are cheaper, IMHO it is not worth saving a small amount on memory cards to be used on a camera which cost you around $3000.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
On a couple of occasions, I have used only an SD card on my 5D MK III and it works just fine ... did not notice any "slowdown" ... the cards I used were SanDisk 64GB and 32 GB SDXC Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I (Max Read Speed 95MB/s & Max Write Speed 90 MB/s) ... I also tried using only a SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC UHS-1 (Max Read/Write Speed 45 MB/s), which slowed down after a couple of shots. On both occasions I did not shoot more than 4 RAW + JPEG shots in quick succession. With my limited experience I suppose any SD card that is slower than 45 MB/s will significantly slowdown the 5D MK III (that is if you are using only SD card i.e. without the CF card). Since you are considering using only SD cards because they are cheaper, IMHO it is not worth saving a small amount on memory cards to be used on a camera which cost you around $3000.

One of the problem was that Canon used some old/slow controller on the SD-path, so fast card don't help as the bottleneck is inside the camera. I don't know what is the maximum speed from the camera, but after certain card speed it doesn't help going faster.

dukem

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »
Your buffer is reduced if you write different files to each card (RAW to CF, JPG to SD).   I find that I am better off with a little more buffer so I write the same to both.  Recently we have been experimenting with using a large SD and multiple small CF.  So, 1 64GB SD and smaller CF's.  So, if a CF fails we have the SD as backup.

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »
Please put a 2 CF-card-slot in the 5D Mark IV. We don´t need sd-card for professional use.

I can't say I understand why they would do this mixing and matching of memory cards, it doesn't make much sense really apart from cost  but even that can't be much.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »

I can't say I understand why they would do this mixing and matching of memory cards, it doesn't make much sense really apart from cost  but even that can't be much.

I don't mind... I like having options.  I  have a 16gb sd  card that I can use if the 8 gb cf card fills up.   the 16  is  a vestige from my 60d  days and I like that it still has some use.   and I'm not a professional,  so I don't seed the need to get a 1000x  c.f. card... that is really big, 64gb.   and I really can't see myself getting two of them. 

would I like to be able to use an uhs sd  card...  yes but that would be my lone complaint in this regard. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
I've used Lexar 1000x Pro CF 16GB in slot 1 and Lexar 400X Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-1 card (although not in UHS specified speed) in slot 2 in my 5D3.

I just came back from vacation and was worried about losing my single copy of a shot if a CF card went bad so now I'm writing RAW to both. For family vacation and similar events a large burst rate isn't important as I'm often also shooting dance in silent mode (so as not to annoy others) which limits me to 3 fps anyways.

Maybe for faster shooting at 6 fps I might have to pull the SD card to get the maximum number of shots before the write buffer fills.

Having a larger 64 GB card installed in another slot gives me some flexibility whereas a 16 GB flash might not have a lot of room left on it when I decide I might want some video for the hell of it.

If I've downloaded everything I need off of the CF cards and know the pictures are ok (plus backed up on the computer plus the backup drives) then I just reformat the SDXC card when full (as not done after every event).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:13:36 AM by ddl »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »
I wouldn't use an SD card for anything but proxy files to choose the correct from. The slot is ridiculously slow... I mean, it's absurd.

But it's nice to have it to run the ML firmware from and use the CF slot as a dedicated recording card.

If you are doing shoots where you need to keep the shutter running and max out of FPS, then don't worry about the SD card. Just get nice big and fast CF cards.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
SD slot is a waste of time, in many situations it bottle-necks the entire camera.  The camera can write to the CF card at ~170MB/s…the SD slot?  I’m not sure what it is exactly, but probably ~50MB/s.  Also, for me personally, it’s too confusing to manage two media sources in my workflow.  I once accidentally-deleted 40GB of time lapse…whoopsy-doodle!  ???

I use an old 1GB SD card…but only to run Magic Lantern for sweet, sweet RAW video  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »