October 20, 2014, 10:26:11 PM

Author Topic: Worth getting an SD card for 5D3?  (Read 10565 times)

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Worth getting an SD card for 5D3?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
A good quality SD card is about $10.00 for 8 gig, $20 for 16 gig.  So what's the big deal - skip a lunch and buy
one or two or three.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »
I shoot RAW onto the CF card and JPG to the SD card, especially when traveling.  I like this configuration because it allows me to have a high quality RAW copy that I can post-process when I get home, and at the same time have a jpg copy that I can upload to my iPad using the Camera Connection Kit.  Once on the iPad, I can post photos to Photostream and share images with friends in near real time.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
As noted, the 5D MK III does not have the UHS-1 capability which has twice the bus speed and will write almost twice as fast as the 5-10MB/sec that a Class 10 SD card can do.

Both are really slow compared with CF cards.  I do have a 64GB SD card that I occasionally use as a backup to my 64GB CF card, sometimes having a backup is more important than the speed.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
I use a CF Card and write at the same time to the SD card, gives me two copies of everything I shoot (on the 5DMK III).

To cover the speed issue on the Canon Buffer/write issue, I use a 128GB CF Card @ 100Mbs + 64GB SD card @ 95Mbs, so slowest write speed should be the SD Card @ 95Mbs, which I can live with.

I do this as I have twice now had CF Cards corrupted, fortunately with Software I've rescued the Images, so now I cover my Bases by writing to both Cards, I do the same on my 1Dx, but both CF Cards are 128GB 100Mbs, so not an issue like the 5DMK III.

Try to find a situation where the write speed on your SD Card is as close as the Write speed on your CF Card, then the issue is no longer an issue and you have the convenience of a set of "Back Up" Images.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
I use a CF Card and write at the same time to the SD card, gives me two copies of everything I shoot (on the 5DMK III).

To cover the speed issue on the Canon Buffer/write issue, I use a 128GB CF Card @ 100Mbs + 64GB SD card @ 95Mbs, so slowest write speed should be the SD Card @ 95Mbs, which I can live with.

I do this as I have twice now had CF Cards corrupted, fortunately with Software I've rescued the Images, so now I cover my Bases by writing to both Cards, I do the same on my 1Dx, but both CF Cards are 128GB 100Mbs, so not an issue like the 5DMK III.

Try to find a situation where the write speed on your SD Card is as close as the Write speed on your CF Card, then the issue is no longer an issue and you have the convenience of a set of "Back Up" Images.

You will never see close to a 95 MB/sec SD card write speed on a 5D MK III.  You can put a 95 MB/sec card in a 5D MK III, but you will eventually get about 10 mb/sec due to the type of SD controller in the camera.

The card speed is limited by the camera.

Speed advertisements for SD cards are misleading, since they only apply to a new and blank card, and they are for Cameras with UHS-1 controllers which have a internal bus speed and thus write about 2X faster.

Initially, you might get 20 MB/sec or even more in your 5D MK III, but ... once you have filled up that SD card, and do a in camera normal format, the write speed drops to 10 MB/sec or less.  This is because the controller must first go thru the slow process of erasing a memory block before writing to it  To regain the lost speed, you must do a low level format which erases the card.  It can take hours to do that for a large card.

All the reviews for SD cards are for a card that has had a low level format first. 

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/the-5d-mark-iii-sd-memory-cards/

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 02:05:50 AM »

You will never see close to a 95 MB/sec SD card write speed on a 5D MK III.  You can put a 95 MB/sec card in a 5D MK III, but you will eventually get about 10 mb/sec due to the type of SD controller in the camera.

Speed advertisements for SD cards are misleading, since they only apply to a new and blank card, and they are for Cameras with UHS-1 controllers which have a internal bus speed and thus write about 2X faster.

Initially, you might get 20 MB/sec or even more in your 5D MK III, but ... once you have filled up that SD card, and do a in camera normal format, the write speed drops to 10 MB/sec or less.  This is because the controller must first go thru the slow process of erasing a memory block before writing to it  To regain the lost speed, you must do a low level format which erases the card.  It can take hours to do that for a large card.

All the reviews for SD cards are for a card that has had a low level format first. 

Quoted for truth....

SD cards are THE worst option for doing photography with the 5D.

I did a write test on a transcend 16gb class card (one which I normally use to shoot with my Sony FS100, and was getting around 11 mb/s in the SD slot. That is f****** useless and a joke that it's even there.

Don't save... just get the CF card. If you use an SD card at the same time, the SD card slot will make the CF card slower. Lowest denominator rules in Canon apparently. What a waste.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:13 AM »

Thanks for the Heads Up Mt Spokane, I knew the SD cards were a hindrance, wasn't aware of the Magnitude, Thank You.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:13 AM »

al-toidz photography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 03:05:15 AM »
If you don't need it for fast burst then sd card is fine. I own a 1D(s) mark III's and rented 5d mark 3 before, and personally i don't need cf card. Maybe because I'm using macbook pro as my main computer as it has a sd card slot built in. It may sound silly to make it as a reason but for me its very convinient.

On a side note, I only use sandisk extreme pro sd card and they are very reliable. So, if you will get one, make sure get something that is realiable and has a good reputation.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »

I've done a low level format  on my 16 gb  card a few times and it didn't take very long at all. 

I'm surprised that the write speed are only between 10-20 mbs.   any idea what the write speeds are in the 60d?  I  upgraded from a class four to a class ten and it seemed crazy fast...  then I started shooting in both raw and jpg  and it seemed slow,  but I assumed it was still faster than the old class four.

as I have said, I  use both c.f. and sd at the moment,  but I will likely remove the  sd  when I shoot sports.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
I'm surprised that the write speed are only between 10-20 mbs.   any idea what the write speeds are in the 60d?  I  upgraded from a class four to a class ten and it seemed crazy fast...  then I started shooting in both raw and jpg  and it seemed slow,  but I assumed it was still faster than the old class four.

as I have said, I  use both c.f. and sd at the moment,  but I will likely remove the  sd  when I shoot sports.

How you define crazy fast? You buffer never went full while shooting raw? 60D could have same SD controller (at best) than 5D3, so 10-20MB/s is probably max.

Also C10 is not that much if you look the spec minimums, it's 10MB/s (or more).

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »

How you define crazy fast? You buffer never went full while shooting raw? 60D could have same SD controller (at best) than 5D3, so 10-20MB/s is probably max.

crazy fast:   shooting in large jpg, 18  megapixels,  and getting 60+  shots at 5.3  shots per second without filling up the buffer and no slowing.

I got tired before the camera did...

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

crazy fast:   shooting in large jpg, 18  megapixels,  and getting 60+  shots at 5.3  shots per second without filling up the buffer and no slowing.

Ok. Did the camera choke when you were using C4 card?

At least with any CF (most bodies I assume), you can shoot jpg any duration you want, until you fill up the card.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »

Ok. Did the camera choke when you were using C4 card?

At least with any CF (most bodies I assume), you can shoot jpg any duration you want, until you fill up the card.

it has been a while,  but yeah,  the buffer filled after about 8  shots or so... I don't know if I pushed the  boundaries of the buffer with my 5d,  but I will eventually.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »