November 20, 2014, 04:10:50 PM

Author Topic: Incapable of posting to the adorama thread money still not returned  (Read 13172 times)

natureshots

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Incapable of posting to the adorama thread money still not returned
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
I just don't like the way you bash Adorama, as it's clearly not their fault. You would do much better to grime about the US banking system which lags 10+ years behind compared to rest of the world.

Repeated calling Adorama is not going to get you the money back. Calling your bank will help much more.
The bank just received the transfer. Like I said many times, I have called my bank many times checking for the return. It finally came back. I just hope that no one else has to go through this whether Adorama addresses the issues with responding to customers about high value wire transactions or through people shopping elsewhere. It was the sales associates advice that led me to do the transfer and if they are recommending this as a way of doing business they should have some ways of dealing with this issue effectively. Not responding to people who are legitimately worried about large sums of money is not a good business practice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »
I just don't like the way you bash Adorama, as it's clearly not their fault. You would do much better to grime about the US banking system which lags 10+ years behind compared to rest of the world.

Repeated calling Adorama is not going to get you the money back. Calling your bank will help much more.
The bank just received the transfer. Like I said many times, I have called my bank many times checking for the return. It finally came back. I just hope that no one else has to go through this whether Adorama addresses the issues with responding to customers about high value wire transactions or through people shopping elsewhere. It was the sales associates advice that led me to do the transfer and if they are recommending this as a way of doing business they should have some ways of dealing with this issue effectively. Not responding to people who are legitimately worried about large sums of money is not a good business practice.

Consider this for a moment:

If the money never went to Adorama due to the address missing there, why would you say it's Adorama's fault? If the money is in the banking system, why would you call Adorama to get it back?

I understand that such amount of money temporarily misplaced is huge, I'm sure I would be crying in the bathroom instead of writing at this forum. But blaming Adorama is not going to do any good if you can't prove it's their fault. Everything you've told point to the banking system, at least in my opinion.

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
you seem to not want to acknowledge that adorama is not culpable in this matter. in fact i think them refusing the wire transfer gives me peace of mind that they are dilligent in their practices against fraud.

i'm not suggesting that your attempted purchase was fraudulent, but in all my online transactions i have had to have the address associated with my bank account match the address that i am receiving the bill. its a security measure that i appreciate as a consumer. no address associated with a wire transfer that large would send up red flags immediately in my mind. they did the right thing in the grand scheme of things.

that being said...does this continue to be an appropriate thread for this forum? i'm not so sure.

you need to stop wasting your efforts on Adorama and Helen and put all your efforts into hammering your bank.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »

+1
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

I'm glad you finally got your money back. I'd still like to know the name of that bank so I don't open an account there. Sounds like a very unpleasant experience you had, but I think the delay was due to your bank's practices. It was unfortunate that miscommunication/screwups messed up your transaction. Many scams are run using bank transfers since if you accept a scam transfer, the bank loses nothing and your lose it all!

Quote from: Helen Oster on June 09, 2013, 05:32:52 AM
According to the OP's bank, the money will appear back in his account tomorrow. A check for $25 is on the way to him, from Adorama,  to cover his wire costs.

So Helen said on June 9 (a Sunday) that your bank told her you would get your money in your account on June 10. So it was one day later (today) on June 11.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
Your very basic take-away from this should be nothing other than "Don't use wire transfers."

Agreed - it does seem like an odd way to buy something, especially domestically.  Still, I'm sure the OP has his reasons, didn't want to use a credit card, etc.

I've received wire transfers a few times, as disbursements of stock/option sales - I figure that Morgan Stanley knows how to send one properly).  I did have to wire money once, to pay in advance for lodging in a tiny place on the northern tip of Zanzibar that didn't take credit cards.  I will say that a comment in the other thread about banks not knowing how to handle an outbound wire was my experience - the first three BofA bank employees I dealt with didn't have a clue how to set it up, fortunately there was a real, old-school (and chronologically old, too) bona fide banker there who knew how to process it. Sadly, the gentleman disappeared at the next round of branch closures - sadly typical to pension off the experienced workers and keep the ones at the low end of the pay scale.

The thread was locked with the three final posts being that from Helen Oster. What does that imply? How many other threads are locked on this site?

Lots of them.  Usually because they're going nowhere.

You say you've called Adorama 20-30 times and your bank 5 times.  I think you're barking up the wrong tree.  Your bank sent the wire.  You are their client. Your bank can trace the money trail.  Wire transfers can be recalled.  Yet you're spending the majority of your time complaining about and to Adorama, who arguably has the least power to act on your complaints.

1. People should know what policies and practices the companies they do business with have. If they don't like the policies and practices they should find another business.

2. Posting here is the only way I get any traction with the company. Otherwise I am just some jerk who they can ignore.

Fine, but the transaction wasn't directly between you and Adorama, was it?  But you aren't naming your bank or even complaining about them...why not?  Wrong tree, as I stated. 

You can go ahead and continue blaming Adorama, despite the fact that they're not at fault here.  Know what?  Now that you have your money back, if you try and wire it to B&H and your bank again fails to execute the transaction properly, they'll probably refuse it, too, and your money will disappear for a while again.  Then you can start another complaint thread, and maybe Henry will show up to try and help, and you still won't realize where the real problem lies. But good luck...enjoy your new gear, if you can find someone to take your money...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

natureshots

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
Your very basic take-away from this should be nothing other than "Don't use wire transfers."

Agreed - it does seem like an odd way to buy something, especially domestically.  Still, I'm sure the OP has his reasons, didn't want to use a credit card, etc.

I've received wire transfers a few times, as disbursements of stock/option sales - I figure that Morgan Stanley knows how to send one properly).  I did have to wire money once, to pay in advance for lodging in a tiny place on the northern tip of Zanzibar that didn't take credit cards.  I will say that a comment in the other thread about banks not knowing how to handle an outbound wire was my experience - the first three BofA bank employees I dealt with didn't have a clue how to set it up, fortunately there was a real, old-school (and chronologically old, too) bona fide banker there who knew how to process it. Sadly, the gentleman disappeared at the next round of branch closures - sadly typical to pension off the experienced workers and keep the ones at the low end of the pay scale.

The thread was locked with the three final posts being that from Helen Oster. What does that imply? How many other threads are locked on this site?

You say you've called Adorama 20-30 times and your bank 5 times.  I think you're barking up the wrong tree.  Your bank sent the wire.  You are their client. Your bank can trace the money trail.  Wire transfers can be recalled.  Yet you're spending the majority of your time complaining about and to Adorama, who arguably has the least power to act on your complaints.

1. People should know what policies and practices the companies they do business with have. If they don't like the policies and practices they should find another business.

2. Posting here is the only way I get any traction with the company. Otherwise I am just some jerk who they can ignore.

Fine, but the transaction wasn't directly between you and Adorama, was it?  But you aren't naming your bank or even complaining about them...why not?  Wrong tree, as I stated. 

You can go ahead and continue blaming Adorama, despite the fact that they're not at fault here.  Know what?  Now that you have your money back, if you try and wire it to B&H and your bank again fails to execute the transaction properly, they'll probably refuse it, too, and your money will disappear for a while again.  Then you can start another complaint thread, and maybe Henry will show up to try and help, and you still won't realize where the real problem lies. But good luck...enjoy your new gear, if you can find someone to take your money...   ::)

After calling my bank I confirmed that I was lied to by Adorama. The money was not refused by them as I was led to believe. They took the money and wired it back days later after I was calling and complaining constantly. Who knows how that would have been handled if I was not on their case. It was a problem with Adorama's account team lying and then refusing to pick up phone calls because they are making mistakes. It was exactly what I initially suspected was going on. It does not take that long for money to be returned to a bank one state away. When they refuse to document their actions its because they are lying and trying to cover it up. My bank may or may not have forgot to put an address but again, I have no documentation and they have thoroughly proved that I cannot take their word. My bank has been helpful, forthright and honest as far as I can tell. I was indeed barking up the right tree by placing blame on Adorama. My bank has earned my trust after years of banking with them. Adorama has proven their dishonesty and ineptitude.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:29:14 PM by natureshots »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »

After calling my bank I confirmed that I was lied to by Adorama. The money was not refused by them as I was led to believe. They took the money and wired it back days later after I was calling and complaining constantly. Who knows how that would have been handled if I was not on their case. It was a problem with Adorama's account team lying and then refusing to pick up phone calls because they are making mistakes. It was exactly what I initially suspected was going on. It does not take that long for money to be returned to a bank one state away. When they refuse to document their actions its because they are lying and trying to cover it up. My bank may or may not have forgot to put an address but again, I have no documentation and they have thoroughly proved that I cannot take their word. My bank has been helpful, forthright and honest as far as I can tell. I was indeed barking up the right tree by placing blame on Adorama. My bank has earned my trust after years of banking with them. Adorama has proven their dishonesty and ineptitude.

A bank SURELY wouldn't lie as to brush their mistake off on someone else... now would they
:please note sarcasm:
iPhone 4s camera

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
My interpretation...

Wire transfer goes into Adorama account holding area. Later, a human being looks at it and for whatever reason (suspicious due to no address...or maybe they just hate money or don't like customers from your state) decides to not accept to deposit it, maybe even after input from a supervisor (ie refuses it). Then, that human being or even another person, starts the process to wire it back to your bank. This maybe takes a day or 2 or 3. When you call (angry worried upset etc), you talk to someone who doesn't have all the correct facts or doesn't explain it well to you.

Perhaps not the greatest customer service to you since they certainly didn't have answers that made you comfortable or happy. Sometimes stating something that is not correct is not lying (I see this all the time and it is usually due to ignorance).

Being one state away, I might have gotten a cashiers check and taken a one day trip to NYC.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:09:26 PM by serendipidy »
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »

If the money was that important and I was only one state away, I would have already driven over there to complain in person and refuse to leave until it was resolved to my satisfaction. Even if I had to go to *their* bank with them to verify that the necessary paperwork was taken care of in front of me. I've done crazier, driving half way across the country to chase down money. I guess the seller didn't expect me to come knocking on their door and that I would wait patiently...

As adamant as you are about Adorama being the problems, you should have taken the trip, and made them reimburse you for it. Instead of rehashing the same cry here over and over, it would have been time better spent. I've done a lot of wire transfers, and they take time, as many have to go through the Fed to clear. For the amount you mention, it usually takes 3-4 days to clear completely and be liquid. I've never had one clear faster than 36 hours.

BTW, are you familiar with how a wire transfer works? When you transfer, the recipient is only notified of the intent to transfer - your bank insures the money is there. A while later (usually in a batch done every so often), your bank will transfer the funds via the Fed to the other bank. In your case, when the money comes back, your bank won't give you access (or even show it on your account) until the Fed clears the money into their account. Wires take time - be patient. Your bank may not even know the transfer is in until their system processes the inbound batch from the Fed. Instead of blaming Adorama, B&H or whoever else, blame the banking process. It's how slow money moves in reality. And, the larger the amount, the slower it moves.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:29:56 PM by docholliday »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
My interpretation...

Wire transfer goes into Adorama account holding area. Later, a human being looks at it and for whatever reason (suspicious due to no address...or maybe they just hate money or don't like customers from your state) decides to not accept to deposit it, maybe even after input from a supervisor (ie refuses it). Then, that human being or even another person, starts the process to wire it back to your bank. This maybe takes a day or 2 or 3. When you call (angry worried upset etc), you talk to someone who doesn't have all the correct facts or doesn't explain it well to you.

Perhaps not the greatest customer service to you since they certainly didn't have answers that made you comfortable or happy. Sometimes stating something that is not correct is not lying (I see this all the time and it is usually due to ignorance).

Being one state away, I might have gotten a cashiers check and taken a one day trip to NYC.

I think this is a pretty good explanation.

Let's face it. As long as human beings are involved, there will be mistakes. And, mistakes tend to multiply along the way. It's unfortunate that this happened. But it did. Based on the many comments on this thread and the experiences of many, many others, it is clear this was the exception and not the rule.

It's no fun being that exception. And, if it happened to me, I'd probably take my business elsewhere as well. But, honestly, there doesn't appear to be any great lesson that others can take away from this. Stuff happens. Life isn't fair. (If it were, I'd have $27,000 to spend on camera equipment too.)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
Now try crossing international borders.....

I've bought stuff (at work) where we had to send money from Canada to a company in the US.... and it took three weeks to clear through the banks.
The best camera is the one in your hands

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »
My interpretation...

+1

I wouldn't personally trust any bank to wire 20k+. I'd much rather go withdraw the money in non-sequential un-marked $20 bills, and go shop personally at Adorama. Think how many people would post your picture at various places as you open the brief case at the cashier and hand over sh**load of money. Your 15 minutes of fame.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
BTW, are you familiar with how a wire transfer works?

Since the OP seems to think being 'one state away' would make a difference in the speed of a domestic wire transfer, I'd say no. Wire. Think about it.  Maybe reading up on the Pony Express vs. the Telegraph would help. Hint: the latter uses a wire:P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »
The site administrator has prevented me from continuing to post on the Adorama thread. My money is still not returned its been a week and a day and they still have not provided proof that they have done a thing with my money. All I get is responses from Helen saying that it will be back... Something is seriously wrong here.

Nobody cares anymore.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »