August 01, 2014, 01:47:22 PM

Author Topic: Incapable of posting to the adorama thread money still not returned  (Read 12057 times)

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Incapable of posting to the adorama thread money still not returned
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
My bank has been helpful, forthright and honest as far as I can tell. I was indeed barking up the right tree by placing blame on Adorama. My bank has earned my trust after years of banking with them. Adorama has proven their dishonesty and ineptitude.
You are confused between slick smooth-talking vs trust and honesty. Most people including you are stuck in warp of personal bias. The cold fact is:
1) If Adorama sales rep suggested you the wire transfer route, he should have held your finger through entire process by taking charge of situation and communicating better.
2) If things don't go according to plan, throwing tantrum like a baby usually does not help either the person or situation. There are bad apples in all organizations including B&H and Amazon. If you are not satisfied you can politely and firmly escalate the situation to the manager. I have got around a lot of incompetence this way. Something was definitely wrong in the way you were talking to them. And if your posts here are any indication, we have the answer. You would have got your toys faster if you had kept your cool and patience to resolve the issue with Adorama and your Bank. In my experience both Adorama and B&H are almost identical and I buy all my optics from them.

Finally, never trust the Bank. The people who work at retail branches are really not sharp but they are taught to speak well. Because they know that slick talking is important to get trust of suckers like you!!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:59:07 PM by comsense »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »
Not all wire transfers are electronic; some banks will cut a check which necessitates a mailing delay and a hold to ensure funds availability.  Fraud is sometimes perpetuated on merchants by having them electronically refund "wire transfers" before the funds have cleared.  I would be cautious if I were the merchant.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »
My interpretation...

Wire transfer goes into Adorama account holding area. Later, a human being looks at it and for whatever reason (suspicious due to no address...or maybe they just hate money or don't like customers from your state) decides to not accept to deposit it, maybe even after input from a supervisor (ie refuses it). Then, that human being or even another person, starts the process to wire it back to your bank. This maybe takes a day or 2 or 3. When you call (angry worried upset etc), you talk to someone who doesn't have all the correct facts or doesn't explain it well to you.

Perhaps not the greatest customer service to you since they certainly didn't have answers that made you comfortable or happy. Sometimes stating something that is not correct is not lying (I see this all the time and it is usually due to ignorance).

Being one state away, I might have gotten a cashiers check and taken a one day trip to NYC.

+1

I wouldn't personally trust any bank to wire 20k+. I'd much rather go withdraw the money in non-sequential un-marked $20 bills, and go shop personally at Adorama. Think how many people would post your picture at various places as you open the brief case at the cashier and hand over sh**load of money. Your 15 minutes of fame.

LOL...I tried that once with a briefcase full of Monopoly money. My fame only lasted 15 seconds till they caught on ;D

edit-$27,000 in $20 would be 1,350 bills; hence the cashier's check for safety and convenience
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:19:03 PM by serendipidy »
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
My interpretation...

Wire transfer goes into Adorama account holding area. Later, a human being looks at it and for whatever reason (suspicious due to no address...or maybe they just hate money or don't like customers from your state) decides to not accept to deposit it, maybe even after input from a supervisor (ie refuses it). Then, that human being or even another person, starts the process to wire it back to your bank. This maybe takes a day or 2 or 3. When you call (angry worried upset etc), you talk to someone who doesn't have all the correct facts or doesn't explain it well to you.

Perhaps not the greatest customer service to you since they certainly didn't have answers that made you comfortable or happy. Sometimes stating something that is not correct is not lying (I see this all the time and it is usually due to ignorance).

Being one state away, I might have gotten a cashiers check and taken a one day trip to NYC.

In a nutshell, what do Adorama/Banks have in common, People, they screw up, they cover up.

I'm honestly glad natureshot that you finally got your money Back and I Thank You for Posting the issue here, forewarned is forearmed, and here's a word to the wise.

I run my own Business using something in the order of 150 Million/year (US Dollars) in wire transfers, incoming/outgoing to individuals/Banks & Businesses, anywhere on the Planet that we deal with as long as the wire transfer is authorised before 1100 the Money hits the recipients Account following day, every time, except, you guessed it, The USA, they have a thing called the FED, everything in & out gores through these Guys and simply adds 2 to 3 days to the Transfer either way, other Countries have a similar organisation/Central Bank as well, but the FED is by far, in our experience, the slowest, not to be confused with bad etc, it's the times we live in, fraud/terrorism etc etc.

Once the Transfer is in the Wind, you ALWAYS ask your Bank on every single Wire Transfer for what's known as a "MT103", your Bank/the senders Bank do not/can not make a Transfer with out producing a MT103, The Bank is required to produce it, but if you don't ask/know about out it, they won't, it's simply more work for someone at the Bank, the MT103 is generated within20 minutes of the actual Transfer, so you have an actual time stamp of when YOUR Bank sent the Money, you can also ask your Bank to have the receiving Bank generate a Order of Receipt date stamping when they received the Money. If/When Adorama then re wired the Funds back to your Bank, they would have generated an MT103 which you as the receiver are entitled to have a copy of. The MT103 is proof in a Law Court exactly where the Money went & who received it.

So, now you have your Money back, place your Order at B&H make your wire transfer, and ask your Bank to produce a MT103, if the money goes astray, you at least know exactly who received it, go chase them. And when you finally receive the 1Dx, the big Mega Pixel Camera might be on the Horizon, so think first.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
Oh, one more thing, doesn't anyone else find it strange that the previous thread regards this issue was locked out ??, immediately after the very helpful Helen from Adorama had her final say on the matter ??

And here we are another 3 pages of comments on the matter but a different Thread.

I understand commercial interests etc, but it's a bit Sad to find that CR will lock out a Thread based on what might be perceived as Bad Press involving a Client or Potential Client. My Safari Browser locks out commercials so I don't see if CR handles Commercial Advertising for Adorama.

Personally i could see nothing wrong with the Ops statements, nor any of the responses, either for or against.

In any case it's a "Good Ending" story with a few life lessons in there.

Banks are fallible
People are fallible
Big Business is fallible
Do a wire Transfer get a MT103
Believe Helen from adorama, just add 24 hours
Be careful what you Post on CR, You could get a warning, or locked out, or taken down
Dont believe it when ANYONE states "The Cheques/Checks in the Mail"

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:02:14 PM by eml58 »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
All's well that ends well :)

BTW...what's a "Cheque"? ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
All's well that ends well :)

BTW...what's a "Cheque"? ;D

Yea, it's a quandary, spellcheck for USA, or Spellcheck for the rest of the world, tough decision.

But your right, it ended well, could have ended better, but still ended well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
Oh, one more thing, doesn't anyone else find it strange that the previous thread regards this issue was locked out ??, immediately after the very helpful Helen from Adorama had her final say on the matter ??

And here we are another 3 pages of comments on the matter but a different Thread.

I understand commercial interests etc, but it's a bit Sad to find that CR will lock out a Thread based on what might be perceived as Bad Press involving a Client or Potential Client. My Safari Browser locks out commercials so I don't see if CR handles Commercial Advertising for Adorama.

Personally i could see nothing wrong with the Ops statements, nor any of the responses, either for or against.

In any case it's a "Good Ending" story with a few life lessons in there.

Banks are fallible
People are fallible
Big Business is fallible
Do a wire Transfer get a MT103
Believe Helen from adorama, just add 24 hours
Be careful what you Post on CR, You could get a warning, or locked out, or taken down
Dont believe it when ANYONE states "The Cheques/Checks in the Mail"

I closed it, because CR is not a proper place to solve your issue.  Now you are trying to blame it on CR. If your bank could not solve it for you, get a new bank.

You did not seem to figure that out, even though other members told you to go thru the banking system.

Its unfortunate that you had a problem, and it would have likely happened anywhere.  I had a wire transfer hang up for three weeks because a bank mistyped the receivers name.  It was horrible getting it fixed, it took two tries.  It wasn't even my bank, they sent it typed correctly.  It was a lot of money. 

I did not complain on a internet forum, but just worked thru the issue with my bank.

Just blame everyone, and your issue will be solved.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 04:54:47 AM »
That's fine, but you quoted the wrong person, I didn't have the issue.

What I hope I did was Post some Positive suggestions for the Op to resolve this sort of issue for the future, one could assume that is why CR exists.

And your last line is Facetious and un called for, The Op wanted Help, I don't personally see too much difference between his Issue, and an issue he may have Posted regards his Camera falling in Half, People on CR would have attempted to provide some form of advice to assist, mostly, or, they would have your own attitude, not my Problem, take it somewhere else.

At no Point in this Thread, or the Previous Thread regarding the same issue did I or to my knowledge anyone else, call CR into disrepute or point blame at CR, in anyway, at all, full stop.

The Question I asked was it was strange to let the Original Thread proceed then shut it down once the Adorama Representative had the last say, a Representative I might add that would seem to have put some serious effort into solving the Ops issue, and possibly was instrumental in the resolution, so without the Op Posting here, it's possible the situation may not have been resolved so satisfactorily, so CR should be taking a Bow for providing the Means for this resolution, not Posting one liners such as "Just blame everyone, and your issue will be solved"

Quite Honestly your attitude & response in this instance disappoints me, but I'll get over it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:04:41 AM by eml58 »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »

I closed it, because CR is not a proper place to solve your issue. 

You did not seem to figure that out, even though other members told you to go thru the banking system.

Its unfortunate that you had a problem, and it would have likely happened anywhere. 

When a wire transfer of over $10,000 is involved, a retailer is not only entitled to reject funds when the source of those funds might be in doubt, but as a reputable business, would be foolish not so to do.

Equally, banks have systems in place to protect themselves against unwittingly being implicated in the transfer of funds, until the source can be verified, as per FinCEN.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
My interpretation...

+1

I wouldn't personally trust any bank to wire 20k+. I'd much rather go withdraw the money in non-sequential un-marked $20 bills, and go shop personally at Adorama. Think how many people would post your picture at various places as you open the brief case at the cashier and hand over sh**load of money. Your 15 minutes of fame.

LOL...I tried that once with a briefcase full of Monopoly money. My fame only lasted 15 seconds till they caught on ;D

edit-$27,000 in $20 would be 1,350 bills; hence the cashier's check for safety and convenience

I did that once with "Canadian Tire money".... I bought a $350 bicycle....

For all you non-Canadians.... Canadian Tire is a local hardware chain and they have a rewards program that consists of "Canadian Tire Money" that comes in denominations like $0.03, $0.05, $0.10..... so $350 worh of Canadian Tire Money would be a pile similar in size to about $250,000 of real money. The cashier was NOT amused.....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:56:40 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
$ 0.10 Canadian Tire money....I'd almost forgotten I had some.  Souvenir of a drive from Chicken, AK, ferry to Dawson City and then down to Whitehorse.  A wonderful time for me after living in the Florida panhandle for 20 years.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »

What I hope I did was Post some Positive suggestions for the Op to resolve this sort of issue for the future, one could assume that is why CR exists.

And your last line is Facetious and un called for, The Op wanted Help, I don't personally see too much difference between his Issue, and an issue he may have Posted regards his Camera falling in Half, People on CR would have attempted to provide some form of advice to assist, mostly, or, they would have your own attitude, not my Problem, take it somewhere else.

At no Point in this Thread, or the Previous Thread regarding the same issue did I or to my knowledge anyone else, call CR into disrepute or point blame at CR, in anyway, at all, full stop.

The Question I asked was it was strange to let the Original Thread proceed then shut it down once the Adorama Representative had the last say, a Representative I might add that would seem to have put some serious effort into solving the Ops issue, and possibly was instrumental in the resolution, so without the Op Posting here, it's possible the situation may not have been resolved so satisfactorily, so CR should be taking a Bow for providing the Means for this resolution, not Posting one liners such as "Just blame everyone, and your issue will be solved"

Quite Honestly your attitude & response in this instance disappoints me, but I'll get over it.

Interesting.  I read and re-read the OP's comments and never did I get the feeling that he wanted help.  Personally, I think the thread should have been shut down sooner.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »

Your post was quoted in its entirety just as posted - READ IT!!

Sorry if you were offended, I get tired of inane posts repeating the same thing over and over not willing to have the bank trace the transaction because they will charge him!  That's a issue between him and his (unknown) bank.

No one removed any of his posts, it was not productive to continue, and is still not productive, but I let it continue because there is interest by the members.  I am a CR Assistant Admin, and I do not get paid, nor do I have any income from advertising, but I do try to keep things from getting out of hand.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

No one removed any of his posts, it was not productive to continue, and is still not productive, but I let it continue because there is interest by the members.  I am a CR Assistant Admin, and I do not get paid, nor do I have any income from advertising, but I do try to keep things from getting out of hand.

I think it is a good idea to lock this thread right now!  ;)
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »