August 01, 2014, 05:15:13 AM

Author Topic: Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?  (Read 21868 times)

northbyten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
Canon has definitely stretched the limits of their current tech, reading all the reviews feels similar in all aspects (hell the 700D is barely a refresh!)

I just feel like it's getting stale and the competition is definitely growing up fast (Sony RX1, Samsung NX300)
The AF on the Samsung NX300 is just ridiculous especially at that price point.

How long can Canon keep the same playbook, yeah they have a new sensor in the works and their new live view AF should be announced next month but these are higher end models while other companies are bringing it to their lower end models quite quickly and already are working on successors that should compete with Canon's new tech.

I'm awaiting to see what the 7D Mark II brings since that will eventually trickle down to the Rebel/EOS M series.

I guess I'm ready for an upgrade and I want to stick to Canon due to my lenses yet I'm just twiddling my thumbs while the competition looks more appealing with each announcement.

canon rumors FORUM

Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
Some interesting points - I'd like to see more advanced features such as AF in lower end bodies too.

What body do you have at present and what is lacking from Canon's current offerings that is not satisfactory for your needs.

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

northbyten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
I have a Canon 550D with a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-5.6 and Canon 50mm F1.4

Honestly, I'd be happy with a improved Canon SL1/EOS M with adapter. I don't like bulk since I shoot on the run a lot and don't need many of the features that the higher end models have.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

I guess I'm ready for an upgrade and I want to stick to Canon due to my lenses yet I'm just twiddling my thumbs while the competition looks more appealing with each announcement.

Quote from: northbyten

Honestly, I'd be happy with a improved Canon SL1/EOS M with adapter. I don't like bulk since I shoot on the run a lot and don't need many of the features that the higher end models have.

So, what features do you need?

The 550D is a good camera, do you feel you need more resolution? (to what end?) do you feel you need better AF? (there are options) lower noise? (again there are options)

Between the 550D, 600D and 650D the changes are absolutely incremental.  I changed from a 550D to a 600D because the flip out screen is brilliant for video, and the wireless flash is very useful.  Haven't felt the need to upgrade any further.  Thats said, I would say my new M (Figic5) is less noisy, to the point where iso 200 is like iso 100 on my digic 4 cameras, 800 like 400, and crucially, 6400 becomes to my fickle eye, usable with a little raw tweaking.

What would you want from a 750D that your 550D isn't doing, or the 600, 650 700 aren't doing?

I agree that canon need to stay competitive and that things have moved on maybe a little faster than canon has.  However there have been quite a few new lenses, and not just expensive ones, maybe thats something to explore, expand your range with a macro or telezoom, or a fast tele prime like the 85 f1.8 or 100 f2.0?  When Canon does come out with something new then you'll be even better equipped to use it!

The good news is that Canon often launches new tech on the rebels, which have usually been a bit ahead of the x0d series for megapixels and things like movie mode, perhaps as this is the most competitive segment, or where the most sales are, or where the range is quickest refreshed (or a mix of all of the above) but you'll usually see the newest sensors on the rebels.

I'm just intrigued as to why you want to upgrade?  Is it an itch or a need?

All the best

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
"I guess I'm ready for an upgrade and I want to stick to Canon due to my lenses yet"

With that MUCH lenses, I highly recommend you to switch NOW.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:23:42 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

northbyten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
First of all I'm a fast shooter, I move a lot and I shoot in all conditions. I've been photographing for 8 years.

The AF on my model isn't good for anything other than direct sunlight and it slows down, often still being slightly out of focus. I manually focus 90% of the time but there are times when I simply want to point and click(warranty ran out a month before AF got buggered)

I'd like a AF beam which even the NEX series has instead of using the flash strobe.

I want better colour reproduction, the photos I've seen straight out of the camera from other manufacturers is amazing instead of me having to tweak colours to appear right in post production.

I want to downsize more than anything, something small and efficient, a interchangable lens Sony RX1 made by Canon would be my ideal camera.

"I guess I'm ready for an upgrade and I want to stick to Canon due to my lenses yet"

With that MUCH lenses, I highly recommend you to switch NOW.

?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Are you using live view af or viewfinder af?

Live view af is crap, except on eos m ( good in oneshot single square zone) viewfinder af good on 550d, centre af select best.  Viewfinder crap for mf.  Wrong focus screen, penta mirror etc...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »

JimKarczewski

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
I want to see voice annotation on a camera other than the 1D line.   Nikon does it.. THe D3/D4 etc aren't the only cameras with voice annotation.  The 7DII as a "sports" camera with 10fps (rumored) should have it as well if they really want serious sports shooters using it.   Now that I have annotation, I don't think I could ever use a camera without it again, it's that integral to my workflow not only for sports but for just plain old assignments.   Its much easier to listen to the .wav file than to figure out "where the hell did I put that paper with that persons name????"

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
I was thinking the other day that it would be interesting to try the shutter button on the inside of the handgrip where your fingertips rest. A kind of squeeze to shoot configuration.

Would be nice to have a rollerball type controller instead of the joystick. Would probably make selecting and changing focus points quicker. Or even a smooth interface like the Apple Magic Mouse.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
If my $600 cellphone which fits in my pocket has GPS, wi-fi and Bluetooth the you can be g*******d sure my next SLR body (beyond the 5D2 I have) will too.  There is no excuse.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

northbyten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:02 AM »

Live view af is crap, except on eos m ( good in oneshot single square zone) viewfinder af good on 550d, centre af select best.  Viewfinder crap for mf.  Wrong focus screen, penta mirror etc...

nope just through viewfinder.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »
The 7D is a quite old model, and is out of date.  But, it goes up against the high end Nikon D300S. 

I would warn you to not expect a "NEW" Canon, they will certainly have a better sensor, and there will be improvements, but they will not give you every feature that you want.

Expect to be disappointed if you think otherwise.

PureAmateur

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:10 AM »
If my $600 cellphone which fits in my pocket has GPS, wi-fi and Bluetooth the you can be g*******d sure my next SLR body (beyond the 5D2 I have) will too.  There is no excuse.

Jim

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:10 AM »

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 02:35:34 AM »
I heard there is a company named Nikon,
they produce cameras and lenses too.

You can check them out at www.nikon.com
cheer

paul13walnut5

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:18:06 AM »

nope just through viewfinder.

I would say wait for a new 70d or 7d mk2.

The current 7d and 60d won't give you any better data in your images.
However the improved af systems will help you, and the pentaprism rather than penta mirror will help mf, maybe also worth fitting a katzeyes screen when available.

Do note, focus will be hypercriticsl at f1.4, and your af, edpecially away from the centre point, will not play that nice with your zoom at the far end.

I would try the cam in one shot mode, centre point select, lock af and recompose.

This should up your keepers, or reveal a fault.

For moving stuff, try centre spot af but in ai servo mode, track, track, burst, track, track, burst.

99% of 'faulty' af systems are just incorrectly set up for the task at hand.

Avoid ai focus and auto point select like you would a frisky pit-bull.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:18:06 AM »