April 17, 2014, 07:32:57 PM

Author Topic: Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?  (Read 20053 times)

northbyten

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 04:20:23 AM »
I heard there is a company named Nikon,
they produce cameras and lenses too.

You can check them out at www.nikon.com
cheer

thank you captain.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 04:20:23 AM »

CanonMan

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 04:41:46 AM »
Just a thought .....

In the old days of film people like me had as much fun and enjoyment getting that great picture by different techniques that had nothing to do with software. Some of the most iconic pictures are black and white from many many years ago. The only issue of course was how long it took to process and how many pictures were not used.

How much more technolgy should cameras have before they become "boring" because they do too much for you?

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 06:01:50 AM »
How much more technolgy should cameras have before they become "boring" because they do too much for you?

well, Canon can still go a VERY long ways from my current 7D until I would find more technology and capabilities "boring". Most of it is even invented already and would be dirt cheap to implement. :-)

e.g.
* twice the resolution AND 3 stops better DR at all ISOs - especially at ISO 100 and up to 25600 [=Nikon D800]
* Hybrid AF with contrast and phase-AF on image sensor ... working 10x faster and more accurate, especially in tracking moving objects 
* WIFI and GPS built in
* EX-RT radio wireless flash commander built in
* working Eye Control AF v2.0
* in-body IS working in tandem with IS lenses for a total effect of 5 or 6 stops stabilization
* invisible IR-laser AF illuminator built in
* fully functional and customizable Auto-ISO [Nikon D800]
* 2nd curtain sync for speedlights in wireless ETTL mode [Nikon]
* better batteries lasting 1000 shots ... between  -10 and +40 degrees celsius
* mirrorless FF body the size of a pack of cigarettes [Sony RX-1] with lens mount and EVF
* "Retina"-EVF [350 dpi +]
* a series of tiny hi-IQ, fixed focal pancake lenses between 20/2.8 and 75/2.8 IS [like 40/2.8]
* EF-S or EF-M 50-150mm f/2.8 IS in black and half the size of a 70-200/2.8 II :-)
* Canon cameras without any video capability - "for stills only" at a significant price discount -25% 

I could easily go on for 2 full pages ... without getting bored ... ever!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »

well, Canon can still go a VERY long ways from my current 7D until I would find more technology and capabilities "boring". Most of it is even invented already and would be dirt cheap to implement. :-)

(would be version 5.0, 1st implemention, 5 point horizontal only in A2e, 2nd implementation, 3 point as in Elan IIe and IXe, 3rd Implementation, 7 point in Elan 7/n, 4th implementation, 45 point of EOS 3.)

* in-body IS working in tandem with IS lenses for a total effect of 5 or 6 stops stabilization

A shiftable sensor would be useful.  Could be used to do some slight TS-E movements on a normal lens...

How would 2nd curtain trigger? Would need to be by radio, or capacitor timer.. optically wouldn't work during the exposure, i.e. before the curtain shuts.

* a series of tiny hi-IQ, fixed focal pancake lenses between 20/2.8 and 75/2.8 IS [like 40/2.8]

If pentax can do it why can't canon, would be good if they were cheap too, like the 40mm

* Canon cameras without any video capability - "for stills only" at a significant price discount -25% 

The technology is already implemented largely for live view.  It would not represent a 25% saving.
Video has an off switch, a bit like auto mode and HDR.  Don't like don't use.  The extra sales video brings in probably helps to keep the overall price down. Especially with cameras like the 5D3

thomas2279@hotmail.com

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »
Would like to see a 7d MK II with AF and metering functionality from the 5d MK 3, if they can do a sensor in the 24mp APS then this will be good and match against the Sony & Nikon as well along with a decent buffer and 8fps this will be a hit.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
First of all I'm a fast shooter, I move a lot and I shoot in all conditions. I've been photographing for 8 years.

The AF on my model isn't good for anything other than direct sunlight and it slows down, often still being slightly out of focus. I manually focus 90% of the time but there are times when I simply want to point and click(warranty ran out a month before AF got buggered)

I'd like a AF beam which even the NEX series has instead of using the flash strobe.

I want better colour reproduction, the photos I've seen straight out of the camera from other manufacturers is amazing instead of me having to tweak colours to appear right in post production.

I want to downsize more than anything, something small and efficient, a interchangable lens Sony RX1 made by Canon would be my ideal camera.

"I guess I'm ready for an upgrade and I want to stick to Canon due to my lenses yet"

I have a Canon 550D with a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-5.6 and Canon 50mm F1.4
Honestly, I'd be happy with a improved Canon SL1/EOS M with adapter. I don't like bulk since I shoot on the run a lot and don't need many of the features that the higher end models have.
With that MUCH lenses, I highly recommend you to switch NOW.

?

As an owner of RX1, color straight out from camera is flat. I'm talking about JPEG.

If you want better AF, there is 5D III + 1D X.

You mentioned you own Sigma 17-70 F2.8-5.6 and Canon 50mm F1.4, by just having 2 of these lenses why not switch to another brands to full fill your needs. Why wait for 7D II? What do you know about 7D II? Would you buy 7D II if the price tag @ 3000plus?
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
I like the combination of film and digital..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »

northbyten

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
First of all I'm a fast shooter, I move a lot and I shoot in all conditions. I've been photographing for 8 years.

The AF on my model isn't good for anything other than direct sunlight and it slows down, often still being slightly out of focus. I manually focus 90% of the time but there are times when I simply want to point and click(warranty ran out a month before AF got buggered)

I'd like a AF beam which even the NEX series has instead of using the flash strobe.

I want better colour reproduction, the photos I've seen straight out of the camera from other manufacturers is amazing instead of me having to tweak colours to appear right in post production.

I want to downsize more than anything, something small and efficient, a interchangable lens Sony RX1 made by Canon would be my ideal camera.

"I guess I'm ready for an upgrade and I want to stick to Canon due to my lenses yet"

I have a Canon 550D with a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-5.6 and Canon 50mm F1.4
Honestly, I'd be happy with a improved Canon SL1/EOS M with adapter. I don't like bulk since I shoot on the run a lot and don't need many of the features that the higher end models have.
With that MUCH lenses, I highly recommend you to switch NOW.

?

As an owner of RX1, color straight out from camera is flat. I'm talking about JPEG.

If you want better AF, there is 5D III + 1D X.

You mentioned you own Sigma 17-70 F2.8-5.6 and Canon 50mm F1.4, by just having 2 of these lenses why not switch to another brands to full fill your needs. Why wait for 7D II? What do you know about 7D II? Would you buy 7D II if the price tag @ 3000plus?

The only things I know about the 7D II are the rumours that have been posted here. I don't want a 5D or 1D due to size and features I don't need, I mentioned that in my original post.

I will switch to another brand if the announcements don't meet my expectations.

Satya

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
In the old days of film people like me had as much fun and enjoyment getting that great picture by different techniques that had nothing to do with software. Some of the most iconic pictures are black and white from many many years ago...

Yes. And before that people did not even need cameras. They just painted with 'natural' colors. And that argument has been over-used. But times have changed.

I went to college (4+ miles) on bicycle. I rode my bicycle around town (20+ miles) just for fun. But times have changed. Today I drive a small car to go to Wal-Mart a couple of miles away. Couldn't I ride my bicycle to Wal-Mart? I don't care.

As Jim Saunders said, there is no excuse for shying away from technology already available, not to mention inexpensive.

+1

I share the OP's frustration of not finding an affordable new model that offers the features I was looking for. I tried to move up from my XTi for past few months.
EOS XTi, Sigma 17-70mm, EF 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 F/4L.
D7100, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.8G, 18-105mm VR, 70-300mm VR.

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »
I believe canon will update the sensor tech in the 7DII. Its aps-c so it would allow them time to scale it up to a FF 5D4 sometime in the future.

Personally, a RT module built in camera would make me consider a newer body.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
The sensor may not be strongest feature of Canon's line up, but is it the limiting factor?  As long as they can improve performance by tweaking other parts of the camera, they may not work on a new sensor.  Once they do, it will trickle their line up from 7D II (possible 1Dx2) down to 70/80D, and eventually to the rebel.

I am sure that they want to keep as much common within the crop body lineup to maximum efficiencies.  Differences in the bodies will be based upon electronics, not the sensor

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »
The sensor may not be strongest feature of Canon's line up, but is it the limiting factor?  As long as they can improve performance by tweaking other parts of the camera, they may not work on a new sensor.  Once they do, it will trickle their line up from 7D II (possible 1Dx2) down to 70/80D, and eventually to the rebel.
I am sure that they want to keep as much common within the crop body lineup to maximum efficiencies.  Differences in the bodies will be based upon electronics, not the sensor

No!
* Canon's age-old APS-C sensor design IS a huge limiting factor
* Canon's APS-C sensors suck big time by today's standards [resolution and DR] 
* Canon absolutely needs to bring their APS-C cameras AT LEAST to the level that Nikon is offering for a yera already (D7100)
* Canon will not get away this time by merely  improving other features - as necessary and welcome those might be in their own right.

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:29 AM »

No!
* Canon's age-old APS-C sensor design IS a huge limiting factor
* Canon's APS-C sensors suck big time by today's standards [resolution and DR] 
* Canon absolutely needs to bring their APS-C cameras AT LEAST to the level that Nikon is offering for a yera already (D7100)
* Canon will not get away this time by merely  improving other features - as necessary and welcome those might be in their own right.

Canon gave you touch ability in lower model.
I don't find that feature professional. Others may like it.
The problem with Canon is I think they are trying to do both video and camera in one package.
While Nikon focus on photographic aspect and throw in the video mode.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:29 AM »

kyamon

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »

e.g.
* twice the resolution AND 3 stops better DR at all ISOs - especially at ISO 100 and up to 25600 [=Nikon D800]
* Hybrid AF with contrast and phase-AF on image sensor ... working 10x faster and more accurate, especially in tracking moving objects 
* WIFI and GPS built in
* EX-RT radio wireless flash commander built in
* invisible IR-laser AF illuminator built in
* fully functional and customizable Auto-ISO [Nikon D800]
* better batteries lasting 1000 shots ... between  -10 and +40 degrees celsius
* mirrorless FF body the size of a pack of cigarettes [Sony RX-1] with lens mount and EVF
* "Retina"-EVF [350 dpi +]
* EF-S or EF-M 50-150mm f/2.8 IS in black and half the size of a 70-200/2.8 II :-)

What kind of photography do you do that you need ALL these features...?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »

What kind of photography do you do that you need ALL these features...?

I know what you mean, folk were never going to be happy with the M unless it AF'd better than their 5D3s had more dynamic range than drum scanned velvia 50 rollfilm and took FD lenses (one of the more out there suggestions to fix the M)

So to but a further spin on the curve ball, what features does your DSLR have that you would gladly do without?

For me it's:

Auto mode
PIC modes
Any fake HDR or fake DR expanders
Anything to do with wifi or GPS as a feature of the camera body (i'll never use, let those who do add it on)
Any button to do with printing.  Wasted button.
Partial metering.
AEB.
WBB.
Wind noise mic reduction.
Anything that mimics lomo or instagram.
sRAW or mRAW.
raw incorrectly labelled as RAW as if it was an acronym of something.

So what features of your DSLR are redundant?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »