August 29, 2014, 10:21:24 AM

Author Topic: Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?  (Read 22174 times)

kyamon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning of a new Canon starting with 7D Mk II?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »

What kind of photography do you do that you need ALL these features...?

I know what you mean, folk were never going to be happy with the M unless it AF'd better than their 5D3s had more dynamic range than drum scanned velvia 50 rollfilm and took FD lenses (one of the more out there suggestions to fix the M)

So to but a further spin on the curve ball, what features does your DSLR have that you would gladly do without?

For me it's:

Auto mode
PIC modes
Any fake HDR or fake DR expanders
Anything to do with wifi or GPS as a feature of the camera body (i'll never use, let those who do add it on)
Any button to do with printing.  Wasted button.
Partial metering.
AEB.
WBB.
Wind noise mic reduction.
Anything that mimics lomo or instagram.
sRAW or mRAW.
raw incorrectly labelled as RAW as if it was an acronym of something.

So what features of your DSLR are redundant?

I agree with most of these - but then again, mostly this is software. Having it or not having it makes no difference really.
GPS on bodies like the 1D or 5D series makes no sense to me, either - is there a pro here who is actually using that? Do you then look at the pins on iPhoto to see where you had your shootings, in case you forgot?

And yes! The print button! I have been wondering about that thing since I got my first DSLR (the 10D) and am annoyed that I can not reprogram that button... But maybe someone is really using that - since you can do in-camera raw-editing now (another feature that is utterly useless to me).

I really am waiting for someone to request the 1D to accept a SIM card for image transfer via LTE. It would add the very useful feature that you can also use your camera as a phone! And since it will have a retina touch screen and accelerometers, you can also play doodle jump and angry birds on it! And since taking pictures is so utterly boring, this will finally also allow us to watch movies while shooting!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
Would like to see a 7d MK II with AF and metering functionality from the 5d MK 3, if they can do a sensor in the 24mp APS then this will be good and match against the Sony & Nikon as well along with a decent buffer and 8fps this will be a hit.
YES! And since it will be an APS-C model the same AF sensor would cover a lot more of the screen which would be yet another plus.

kyamon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »

I know what you mean, folk were never going to be happy with the M unless it AF'd better than their 5D3s had more dynamic range than drum scanned velvia 50 rollfilm and took FD lenses (one of the more out there suggestions to fix the M)

So to but a further spin on the curve ball, what features does your DSLR have that you would
I agree with most of these - but then again, mostly this is software. Having it or not having it makes no difference really.
GPS on bodies like the 1D or 5D series makes no sense to me, either - is there a pro here who is actually using that? Do you then look at the pins on iPhoto to see where you had your shootings, in case you forgot?

And yes! The print button! I have been wondering about that thing since I got my first DSLR (the 10D) and am annoyed that I can not reprogram that button... But maybe someone is really using that - since you can do in-camera raw-editing now (another feature that is utterly useless to me).

I really am waiting for someone to request the 1D to accept a SIM card for image transfer via LTE. It would add the very useful feature that you can also use your camera as a phone! And since it will have a retina touch screen and accelerometers, you can also play doodle jump and angry birds on it! And since taking pictures is so utterly boring, this will finally also allow us to watch movies while shooting!

((Just to be clear, and since I know that someone will point that out - I am aware that the 10D does not have the print button, and when I had it there was no pictbridge functionality. But I hope you got the point...))

On a more serious note - better sensors (higher DR, less noise) are always nice, taking noise-less pictures at 1/2000 and f/8 with no light certainly would be fun. Doing 60 fps raw without ever filling the buffer would be good. This is where it will go, I don't think Canon can beat the speed of technological progress.
Then again, and this has been said above, to take nice photographs one normally can do without such features. Sure, modern cameras can capture moments that they could not 100, or even 10 years ago. On the other hand there are many features that really do not contribute to the quality of a photo at all, like GPS or retina displays. Some people might use and enjoy them, but they do not make a camera better or worse, they don't even allow you to do things you could not do before.

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
Hi,
   For me, I'm more realistic:
1) 1 stop better ISO performance
2) 1 stop better low light AF
3) Price and the rest can remain the same

By the way, since 7D is a sport and wildlife DSLR, GPS will be nice... it'll be good to know where exactly did I shot that birds...

Have a nice day.

Macintosh Sauce

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 02:20:12 AM »
I heard there is a company named Nikon,
they produce cameras and lenses too.

You can check them out at www.nikon.com
cheer

The problem with Nikon is that the build quality of their DSLRs leaves something to be desired. I am looking at four other cameras right now, besides the new 70D to come. Since this is my first DSLR, I have the choice of going with APS-C or 35mm FF formats at the very start.

1. Canon Rebel T5i (APS-C)
2. Canon 70D (APS-C) - when available
3. Canon 6D (35mm FF)
4. Nikon D7100 (APS-C)
5. Nikon D600 (35mm FF)

This afternoon I was at Best buy checking out them (except for the 70D, obviously). I am not impressed with the build quality of Nikon DX/FX lenses. They feel so cheap compared to Canon's EF-S and EF lenses. Regarding the quality of the camera bodies themselves, Canon wins hands down, even on the Rebel T5i.

I found out why this is so... Canon manufactures their camera bodies in Japan, as well as their lenses. Nikon? Not so much, and it definitely shows.

Canon may be a little conservative in the way they build their DSLRs, but at least they are solidly built. If I am going to be investing thousands of dollars, over time, for camera gear, I want to make sure the stuff is going to last. Now, I know why Nikon has a four-year warranty on their lenses - they break down so often, so service is required over and over again.

After picking up and really examining the EF L series of lenses, I have to say that I am quite impressed with the quality of them. My thinking is that I could start with a 70D if the 6D does not woo me over and then upgrade to a 35mm FF model later on. I would only buy the EF L lenses, so I would not have to buy new lenses when and if I make a transition from APS-C to 35mm FF. Since I am starting from fresh I'd really like to start with a FF body though. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:23:03 AM by Macintosh Sauce »

Neopulse

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
Hi,
   For me, I'm more realistic:
1) 1 stop better ISO performance
2) 1 stop better low light AF
3) Price and the rest can remain the same

By the way, since 7D is a sport and wildlife DSLR, GPS will be nice... it'll be good to know where exactly did I shot that birds...

Have a nice day.

Agree with most of what you said, except the integrated GPS though. Would compromise the body frame in it (would be like a 70D model). Would throw in the 19/19 AF in there and also AF-tuning (also an integrated grip, but fat chance). The ISO performance will be better including buffer and such if they integrate dual DIGIC 6 (not the 6+ ones) processors into it. Hope though the MP count will be reasonable. Maybe like the 20.2 in the 70D, but with better noise performance. It'll be a prized APS-C to own. Funny thing about it, is that there is a website already that has the 7D Mark II for comparison although they don't have the actual test data of the camara.

20Dave

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »
If it were free, I would be fine with GPS whether I used it or not. It is approaching free in terms of cost, but it is not free from a battery drain perspective. I wouldn't want it unless it truly turns off.

Dave

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »

I would expect that a lot of pros use their pro camera when on vacations rather than buying a whole separate camera just for that.  So I would expect the percentage of pros who use GPS to be very nearly identical to the percentage of non-pros who use GPS.  I could be wrong.  They just use it less often as a percentage of the camera's life.  :)

If it were free, I would be fine with GPS whether I used it or not. It is approaching free in terms of cost, but it is not free from a battery drain perspective. I wouldn't want it unless it truly turns off.

It truly turns off.  Well, I suppose the component draws a trickle of power so that the camera can tell it to turn on, but other than that....  :)

Agree with most of what you said, except the integrated GPS though. Would compromise the body frame in it (would be like a 70D model).

There are ways to have antennas on devices with metal enclosures without compromising the integrity of the body.  The key is in either mounting them behind the display bezel, using strip antennas mounted in a small indentation in the metal body that is then covered with a plastic or rubber cover, using part of the camera body itself as an antenna (iPhone 4, anyone?), or even integrating the antenna into a new line of upgraded lenses.  :D

That said, if they're already doing integrated Wi-Fi, the cheapest way to add GPS is to provide integrated Bluetooth.  You can use the same antenna for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but Bluetooth can be paired with any number of off-the-shelf Bluetooth GPS receivers.  That also has the advantage of having less battery drain on the camera side of things in addition to the much easier-to-meet antenna requirements.  It's not quite as convenient as built-in GPS, but having to carry a receiver in your camera bag is a far cry from having to either give up your hot shoe or have a receiver hanging from the side of your camera.

It boggles my mind that they're shipping bodies with Wi-Fi and no Bluetooth.  Sure, Bluetooth is slow, but if you're uploading pictures through your phone, it's still likely to be as fast as or faster than the cellular network on the other side unless you happen to be in an LTE coverage area.  And it uses a lot less battery power than Wi-Fi.  But I digress.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:32:25 PM by dgatwood »

cookinghusband

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
I only wish Canon's DSLR live view autofocus perform similar to their camcorders

Currently is near un-usable

northbyten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »
I only wish Canon's DSLR live view autofocus perform similar to their camcorders

Currently is near un-usable

Well in light of 70D's new live view AF I think your question has been answered.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »