May 27, 2018, 06:15:43 AM

Author Topic: Moire in the 1DX and 5D3  (Read 15871 times)

Chris Burch

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
Re: Moire in the 1DX and 5D3
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
The fine detail explanation makes sense now that I am shooting with the new 24-70, which is incredibly sharp.  I never had this issue with the old model.  This is an inconvenience I can definitely work around, though, because the new lens is exceptional.  I'll have to think about looking for it based on fabric patterns, because I doubt I'll ever notice it in the viewfinder.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
Stopping down to introduce diffraction is certainly one way to solve the problem. Another option might be to get a fine portrait softening filter, which would do the same thing, without eliminating your ability to use wider apertures if you need to blur out backgrounds or anything like that.

I suspect moire will become more of a problem as time goes on. All Canon cameras have AA filters, however they are being weakened. I can't imagine shooting portraits with a D800E or D7100...which completely lack AA filters. Personally, I'm an advocate for having an AA filter strong enough to avoid moire (which is the entire point in the first place). Most people complain about how "soft" the 7D is, however I'm happy to claim that I've never encountered moire from too weak an AA filter in any of my bird photography.

I certainly hope that the future doesn't continue to hold weaker AA filters, or none at all, as a general theme. I'd be rather dismayed if that ended up being the case.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »