July 28, 2014, 07:19:04 PM

Poll

Classified Section on CR

YES! Include a Classified Section with subsections for, Buying, Selling, Wanted to Buy, For Trade on CR
26 (68.4%)
Maybe
4 (10.5%)
Naw - Not Interested
6 (15.8%)
I rather spend my cash on eBay, KEH, Craigslist, etc.
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: June 15, 2013, 06:51:29 PM

Author Topic: Classified for Sell Section on CR  (Read 4112 times)

lilmsmaggie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Classified for Sell Section on CR
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »
Not sure if this would create additional work for the admins.  As for conducting a reasonably secure transaction goes, all of the transactions I've ever participated in have usually involved PayPal or some payment vehicle agreed to by the buyer and seller.  I realize that not everyone has a PayPal account but many of us do.

IMHO I don't think having a classified section is unreasonable, or unusual and I'd hate to see this suggestion die on the vine.  It would be great if CR members showed more interest by voting instead of just reading this post.  If strong interest and support were demonstrated by CR members, it just might influence a positive decision.

Its been previously discussed.  It brings on a lot of work for the Admins, who already work for free.  Without some type of oversight and control, the wolves would be out picking bones in short order, and CR would get a bad reputation. 

FM has a small charge for hosting images, which also lets you list items for sale.  Even so, occasionally buyers are unhappy with a deal, or to lose their money, and FM does a exceptional job of keeping things in order.
Fred also has a feedback system for buyers to report on a seller, but it does not always work, some with good feedback have stiffed buyers.

If a way to help buyers and sellers conduct a reasonably secure transaction could be had, I'd support it.
5DMKII, T3i, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Not sure if this would create additional work for the admins.  As for conducting a reasonably secure transaction goes, all of the transactions I've ever participated in have usually involved PayPal or some payment vehicle agreed to by the buyer and seller.  I realize that not everyone has a PayPal account but many of us do.

IMHO I don't think having a classified section is unreasonable, or unusual and I'd hate to see this suggestion die on the vine.  It would be great if CR members showed more interest by voting instead of just reading this post.  If strong interest and support were demonstrated by CR members, it just might influence a positive decision.

Its been previously discussed.  It brings on a lot of work for the Admins, who already work for free.  Without some type of oversight and control, the wolves would be out picking bones in short order, and CR would get a bad reputation. 

FM has a small charge for hosting images, which also lets you list items for sale.  Even so, occasionally buyers are unhappy with a deal, or to lose their money, and FM does a exceptional job of keeping things in order.
Fred also has a feedback system for buyers to report on a seller, but it does not always work, some with good feedback have stiffed buyers.

If a way to help buyers and sellers conduct a reasonably secure transaction could be had, I'd support it.

I'm pretty sure it would create a lot of additional work for us.  We are not setup to moderate sales, but will be expected to help everyone who feels cheated to get their money back.  You only need read the posts on FM to see it happening.

FM gets around directly charging to sell items by requiring a photo upload fee to list items.  This helps make it difficult to file lawsuits against him. 

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »

+1....I visit CR daily 10-30 times a day. Love to see this option avaiable for registered members.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »
A buy and sell forum has been on our minds for a while. People seem to want it, however there are two big forums that already do it, and I think one of them does it very well, that being fredmiranda.com

I imagine Fred spent a considerable amount of resources to develop the rating and feedback system, I would have to find a developer that could implement similar features. I would also have to find an angle that would make the buy and sell here unique to the other sites. More of the same rarely works out.

The other issue is policing it, and watching for scams. Even though it's not the web sites fault, when someone does get scammed, we're going to have to deal with the fallout. I'm not sure I really have the stomach for that.

I'll think a little harder about it, a few other things are being implemented in the next 30 days at CR, so I'd like to get all that done before we take on another project.

Thanks for the great feedback as usual folks!
canonrumors.com

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure it would create a lot of additional work for us.  We are not setup to moderate sales, but will be expected to help everyone who feels cheated to get their money back.  You only need read the posts on FM to see it happening.

FM gets around directly charging to sell items by requiring a photo upload fee to list items.  This helps make it difficult to file lawsuits against him.

Any way to link CR and FM sites so we could see the sales there and contribution to either site could be recognized (member has a long history)

lilmsmaggie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
Fully understandable - and thank you for taking this under consideration.

A buy and sell forum has been on our minds for a while. People seem to want it, however there are two big forums that already do it, and I think one of them does it very well, that being fredmiranda.com

I imagine Fred spent a considerable amount of resources to develop the rating and feedback system, I would have to find a developer that could implement similar features. I would also have to find an angle that would make the buy and sell here unique to the other sites. More of the same rarely works out.

The other issue is policing it, and watching for scams. Even though it's not the web sites fault, when someone does get scammed, we're going to have to deal with the fallout. I'm not sure I really have the stomach for that.

I'll think a little harder about it, a few other things are being implemented in the next 30 days at CR, so I'd like to get all that done before we take on another project.

5DMKII, T3i, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »

Bump  ;D

Given it any more thought?  This straight PHP/DB dev or something more?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »