October 21, 2014, 08:01:52 PM

Poll

Classified Section on CR

YES! Include a Classified Section with subsections for, Buying, Selling, Wanted to Buy, For Trade on CR
26 (68.4%)
Maybe
4 (10.5%)
Naw - Not Interested
6 (15.8%)
I rather spend my cash on eBay, KEH, Craigslist, etc.
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: June 15, 2013, 06:51:29 PM

Author Topic: Classified for Sell Section on CR  (Read 4569 times)

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Classified for Sell Section on CR
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
I have been wanting to sell some of my Canon camera gear and thought about my options.  There's the usual suspects: eBay, Craigslist, other forums, etc. -- Other forums ???  Hey! this is a forum.  What better place than right here on CR.   8)

There needs to be buy-in, willing participants, rules, fees for listing, disclaimers - the usual stuff.  The fees can be used as a way to offset CR site management (well, maybe not) but maybe a little bit  ;D

So how about it  -- Can we make this happen or would this be an exercise in futility?
5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

canon rumors FORUM

Classified for Sell Section on CR
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »

paul13walnut5

Re: Classified for Sell Section on CR
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »
A minefield.  Ebay take a hefty slice but at least there is some semblance of a comeback and protection, same with buying from a shop.. buying sight unseen from a user who could be anybody without buyer protection (or seller protection) not a great idea, let craigslist and the others have thea headaches. 

"Naw.." (are you scottish?) "...not interested".

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
A minefield.  Ebay take a hefty slice but at least there is some semblance of a comeback and protection, same with buying from a shop.. buying sight unseen from a user who could be anybody without buyer protection (or seller protection) not a great idea, let craigslist and the others have thea headaches. 
+1 Unless the members know each other and/or can meet in person. In that case a PM is enough though...

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
It works well at FM. There should be a rating system as well.

It is the responsibility of the buyer and the seller to check the posting history and the identity of the other side.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
Works well on FM, Why not here?

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »

Good point.   I've bought and sold gear on other photog forums (APUG, Rangefinderforum, Large Format Photography) that have classified sections and so far, haven't had any issues.  All of these transactions have been with total strangers.   Most ads were accompanied with pictures of the sale items and all transactions went smoothly.  I've had more issues with buyers/sellers on eBay than anywhere else.

5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »

I really don't think anyone will be buying stuff without being able to see it first. It happens on a motorcycle forum I frequent (for parts, not whole bikes) and there are no problems.

I think it would be good.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
I have been wanting to sell some of my Canon camera gear and thought about my options.  There's the usual suspects: eBay, Craigslist, other forums, etc. -- Other forums ???  Hey! this is a forum.  What better place than right here on CR.   8)

There needs to be buy-in, willing participants, rules, fees for listing, disclaimers - the usual stuff.  The fees can be used as a way to offset CR site management (well, maybe not) but maybe a little bit  ;D

So how about it  -- Can we make this happen or would this be an exercise in futility?

As a simple place to make first contact regarding buying/selling gear, the forum would work fine.

The only rule CR would have to impose is that all transactions have NOTHING to do with them.

Trying to complicate things by trying to make it like eBay or Craigslist would be far too difficult to implement.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »

As a simple place to make first contact regarding buying/selling gear, the forum would work fine.
The only rule CR would have to impose is that all transactions have NOTHING to do with them.
Trying to complicate things by trying to make it like eBay or Craigslist would be far too difficult to implement.

+1....I'm all in with small fees through CR. Ebay fees are just too CRAZZZYYY
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
i'd be interested... I just MENTIONED i was selling something a few months back and I got a warning...  Would be nice to have that option here...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
Works well on FM, Why not here?

started to sell on FM.  annual fee is reasonable.  Slowly build a reputation.  Nice to another option.

Craig's list produces nothing but spam for me.  Or con artists - I'll pay with paypal and need you to ship internationally.

Ebay fees are very high and many people there low ball their offers.

On idea I have thought about is to have a store do the rating and verify the equipment.  they would handle all the shipping and provide an escrow service.  Make it a lot easier/safe to buy and sell equipment - only risk is someone hidden damages well.

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »

I wasn't suggesting that it be setup along the likes of eBay or Craigslist.  My experience with other forums as I've pointed out, only require a one time or per listing fee (rangefinder) or a subscription( APUG).

Rangefinder forum for instance charges something like $7 to list an item for 30 days.  With APUG, you have to be registered on the site and pay a $25 (last time I did it) yearly subscription; which allows you to list as many "for sale" items you want within that year.  Both offer auctions.   Both give you the option of posting images of the for sale items.  IMHO -- if you're serious about selling an item, its in your best interest as well as the prospective buyer's to provide pictures.  Most forum participants are going to ask you, or complain in some fashion if you don't -- so you may as well provide pictures.

I will say though, that I sold my entire 4x5 kit (Chamonix 045n-2, 3 Rodenstock and 1 Schneider lenses, w/ shutters, lens boards and black cloth, film holders, etc.) on largeformat photographers forum in less than 3 days - without pictures.  The forum members who purchased these items from me, only knew me from my posts.

And No, No, No - a Thousand times NO! the site owner, etc. is not involved or takes any responsibility for the transaction.  The site only serves as a vehicle to list. The transaction is solely between buyer/seller.

Caveat emptor as always.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
I think you have your answer. 13 yes votes, one maybe and fewer than 300 views as of the time I'm posting this.

Move on. Nothing to see here.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »

alejmr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
It would be fantastic!
Bring it on!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »
Its been previously discussed.  It brings on a lot of work for the Admins, who already work for free.  Without some type of oversight and control, the wolves would be out picking bones in short order, and CR would get a bad reputation. 

FM has a small charge for hosting images, which also lets you list items for sale.  Even so, occasionally buyers are unhappy with a deal, or to lose their money, and FM does a exceptional job of keeping things in order.
Fred also has a feedback system for buyers to report on a seller, but it does not always work, some with good feedback have stiffed buyers.

If a way to help buyers and sellers conduct a reasonably secure transaction could be had, I'd support it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »