July 22, 2014, 05:50:16 AM

Author Topic: banning people for nothing at canon rumors  (Read 28099 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Re: banning people for nothing at canon rumors
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
I was banned in a previous incarnation (crasher7) by sharing info about rebates on a certain brand of tripods. Ricockulous.

That's a slippery slope, as we have to combat various retailers posting on these forums about deals for the "free" advertising. We also had issues with people using their own affiliate IDs for stores on the web.

We pretty much have a zero tolerance policy on that, in your case, you were probably collateral damage and we were incorrect in banning you.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »
Mmmm... I'm sure the mod's on DPreview would have banned me ages ago.  ;D

skfla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
Are we SURE he's banned and didn't just finally sell all of his gear and move to Nikon?  ;D
sorry, but that was Fun-e
still a 5D2 fan

crasher8

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
I was banned in a previous incarnation (crasher7) by sharing info about rebates on a certain brand of tripods. Ricockulous.

That's a slippery slope, as we have to combat various retailers posting on these forums about deals for the "free" advertising. We also had issues with people using their own affiliate IDs for stores on the web.

We pretty much have a zero tolerance policy on that, in your case, you were probably collateral damage and we were incorrect in banning you.

Yeah I was pretty bummed by it especially since I was frequently reading posts very much like mine by members with higher post counts 'sharing' this type of info right and left.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
I've had two warnings, I kind of reject one in spirit (as I recall I made a threat in jest which IMHO could only possibly have been understood as being in jest, and was sincerely my intention) and accept another (I got a bit political in a thread about the recently deceased former British Prime minister) on balance I think they do a good job and keep things civilised.

I cross swords frequently in the spirit of debate, we might go away still entrenched in our own ignorance, we might change our thinking, we might receive advice, we might dispense advice.

It's generally a good and useful resource.  Trolls usually jump out a mile and are to an extent self-policed.

Sometimes language is a problem and I'm the first to admit that my German / Indian / Queens English is much worse than many of the posters making the effort to post in a second or third language, and that the subtle nuances of language can be lost.

Ultimately the mods run the forum, play nice and there ought not to be a problem.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
civilised

Us North Americans find your uncivilized spelling of that word to be bollocks.  ;)

Keep calm and carry on...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »
I deeply appreciate the job the moderators do here. And it's good to know that a mechanism is in place to rectify occasional errors in judgement. The alternative is to abandon the forum to the trolls, professional haters, stealth marketers, etc. that are always waiting right outside the gate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
If we could just start by fixing the speling airs errors :D
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
Very misleading title for this thread..... If the moderator(s) were banning people for doing nothing, then all those people who just read, but never post, would be banned :)

You get banned for doing something... not nothing.
The best camera is the one in your hands

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
Thank-you for taking the time to discuss what is perceived to be an issue.

I will say that time-to-time I will get clarification from a moderator if a user complains directly to me about a ban. Most of the time the moderator is granted autonomy in making the decision to ban or suspend a user. However, there have been a few instances where a ban has been overturned for whatever reason. Humans make mistakes and moderating a forum is pretty much a thankless job. :)

As for soft deleting posts, I will look into that. The idea is a good one.

Karma was abused in so many ways, and was an enormous headache for myself and moderators. It is never coming back.

Again, thanks for the concern and if anyone has any issues you think I should know about, please email me at canonrumorsguy [a t] gmail.com

Do not use the messaging system here to get in contact with me.

Cheers
CR

and you are discussing the ban of canon-f1 with the MOD who is responsible for it?

he can not read private messages because he can not login.

he assured me has done nothing offensive.
beside two occasions he had with mt spokane.
both postings are still in his user stats and in my opinon don´t deserve a ban.

one post about a lightroom issue and one post about battery grips.
read for yourself.

Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 07, 2013, 09:49:14 AM

The third party grips have a reputation of lasting from 3-6 months, depending on use.  Just buy 10 of them and you'll be set for 3 years.

sources for such a bold claim?

i would love you write not such biased nonsense all the time about third party gear, you propably have never used yourself or any experience with.

i bought my 5D MK2 over 4 years ago and the BG grip i bought for it is still absolutely fine.
the phottix BG for my 550D is from 2010 and the 550D is my cheap "throw around" camera.
the BG is also still absolutely fine.

and im not a weekend shooter....

Quote from: canon-f1
well spokane did not notice the error... so all is fine and adobe and all who have an issue are wrong.

Thanks to all for your efforts in tracking down and reporting this issue. The bug was introduced via a late-in-the-cycle change to export performance and was unfortunately missed by our testing. We were able to reproduce the issue in-house, a bug was logged, and the fix will be in the next release.

You get banned for doing something... not nothing.

not if nobody has to prove you have done something.

when i would be a MOD i could just ban you right now.... and what have you done?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:50:08 PM by hamada »

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
I, for one, have to sympathize with the admins. I have been the admin on many a board, a server admin on IRC, and administrated many servers around the globe. It is very hard for an admin (who usually tries to stay out of discussions for political or other reasons) to sometimes get the full gist of what a conversation is about. With many items flying up at you from all different directions, you just can't always get what's going on in a certain post. And, since many people are not so skilled in posting sarcasm, jest, or other emotions, some posts may come through wrong.

Then, there are the users who have given reason time and time again via many different conversations why they get banned "easily". A user who rubs everybody wrong at one time or another, but just shy of the ban line will get remembered quickly. Admin's don't always remember the conversation, but we remember names, faces, and definitely attitudes.

If you don't want to be the person who gets "easily" banned, don't be in the minds of the admins - we have better things to do than look for certains names to appear in discussions with high post counts! And, no matter if we get paid to do the job or not, it's the same amount of work!

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
If you don't want to be the person who gets "easily" banned, don't be in the minds of the admins - we have better things to do than look for certains names to appear in discussions with high post counts! And, no matter if we get paid to do the job or not, it's the same amount of work!

mods seem to get their satisfaction on a different level, not from money.
that´s the problem Unfocused mentioned in this thread.
often they do it so they have power, "the last word".
even when it´s only power over a virtuell community.

and as we can see in real life... power corrupts and is abused.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:06:33 PM by hamada »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »
civilised

Us North Americans find your uncivilized spelling of that word to be bollocks.  ;)

Keep calm and carry on...

Do you mean 'We' North Americans?  Don't bastardize the language we gave you.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »

Let it go.  I remember him too, and he was very offensive and I'm not crying that he's gone.  Sorry, but that's just the way he was and well, the admins got tired of it.  I cringed everytime I opened a thread where he last posted, and it was usually for good reason.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »

So what you are saying is that the moderator is drunk with power and is abusing that power..... yet you are still here and have not been sent off to the bit bucket... This is a paradox. If the moderator was abusing power and getting rid of those who displeased them, by pointing this out to the world it would have made you number one on the to-be-destroyed list.... yet here you are....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »