July 22, 2014, 08:21:39 AM

Author Topic: banning people for nothing at canon rumors  (Read 28108 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: banning people for nothing at canon rumors
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 07:09:52 AM »
Nuts, I say!
Highly objectionable image, crossing all boundaries of modesty and decency ;D
Fortunately squirrels don't read this blog. Otherwise there would appear a thread for photography ethics ;D
But before that, paul13walnut5 would be banned first ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 07:09:52 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »
Nuts, I say!
Highly objectionable image, crossing all boundaries of modesty and decency ;D

I wonder if Mrs Squirrel would agree?

crasher8

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »
"SQUIRREL!"

And-Rew

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
civilised

Us North Americans find your uncivilized spelling of that word to be bollocks.  ;)

Keep calm and carry on...

Do you mean 'We' North Americans?  Don't bastardize the language we gave you.  ;)

And there you have a point of contention - Microsoft concluded that American English is the defacto - and all other versions are 'International English' - where as UK English is the defacto (the clue is in the name  ;) ) and all other forms are derivatives - hence US English, Australian English, Jamaican English and so on.

And then, just to add to the debate - you then have, as subsets of UK English, Scouse, Gordie, Brum, West Country, Cockney to name but a few. And they all vary as much as foreign languages - which only goes to re-enforce my earlier statement that some of the comments may have got mixed up in translation - as per this ad...

http://uk.ask.com/youtube?q=berlitz+coastguard+advert&v=VSdxqIBfEAw&qsrc=472

yes, humorous - but it makes the point better than anything else i can think of  ;D

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
With the exception of spammers, we do not ban members unless there is a long history of rude posts, complaints from members, warnings, and usually temporary bans.   

I have tried to find any reason for the ban Crasher8 refers to, and could only surmise that it was done in error at a time when there were a ton of spammers and I or someone else did it by accident.  I tried to get old posts back, but couldn't. 

The admins are pretty forgiving, if a banned member were to contact the Admins and discuss the issues and make a commitment to follow the rules, we would likely give yet another chance.  That has happened.  Some chose to burn their bridges by sending a bunch of name calling e-mails, which only serves to assure us that we made a correct decision.

It does not help his cause to have someone posting a one sided view on his behalf, it does not tell the whole story, and its not the place to discuss specifics about a member in any event.

A very good way to get a quick warning or a ban is by insulting members or CR administrators in a public post.  I try to remove insulting posts that directly call someone a name, but obviously we do not read every post and rely on members to report serious issues. 

There are a lot of borderline cases, and its very disappointing to see a long time member making subtle comments that goad another member into posting something offensive.

The thing to do is to flag the comment as offensive, and let the moderators decide if it should be removed, and possibly a warning issues.  Firing back with a even more inappropriate comment does not work.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »
In Aus we tend to keep traditions alive, all our Squirrels are kept the same way as we Aussies were once kept, it's payback, we cant jail the whole UK and it was them that sent these little Nutters down here in the first place.

This way their Nuts don't become an issue as they are kept behind Bars along with Criminal Squirrel.

And we don't speak International English, nor do we speak Australian English, we speak........Australian.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:38:08 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »
There are a lot of borderline cases, and its very disappointing to see a long time member making subtle comments that goad another member into posting something offensive.

I think I'm Guilty of this, nothing else mind, but "subtlety" is a fine art, not many are good at it.

In any case I think CR Admin does a reasonable job in difficult conditions.

Unless you Ban me for my Aussie Jokes and flagrant "poor taste" Images of Squirrels, in which case PaulWalnet should join me, because his Squirrel Images are much more....flagrant.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:46:20 PM by eml58 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »

I think I'm Guilty of this, nothing else mind, but "subtlety" is a fine art, not many are good at it.

Unless you Ban me for my Aussie Jokes and flagrant "poor taste" Images of Squirrels.

We are all imperfect.  we admins also do not "WANT" to ban or warn members, and only do so reluctantly, often after discussing it among ourselves. 

The situation I was referring to about goading members refers to those who continually push another member who has perhaps a short fuse into posting something improper that he might not have posted otherwise. Sometimes more than one jump in to pile on the snide comments.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »

Unless you Ban me for my Aussie Jokes and flagrant "poor taste" Images of Squirrels.

We are all imperfect.  we admins also do not "WANT" to ban or warn members, and only do so reluctantly, often after discussing it among ourselves. 

The situation I was referring to about goading members refers to those who continually push another member who has perhaps a short fuse into posting something improper that he might not have posted otherwise. Sometimes more than one jump in to pile on the snide comments.
I believe the first type of members are much worse and they should be banned first and the second group to be given a second chance.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
in which case PaulWalnet should join me, because his Squirrel Images are much more....flagrant.
On second thoughts I think the Squirrel should be banned, not paulWalnut ... it was the rude Squirrel who was flashing his junk in public, taking advantage of (and deceiving us all with) his innocent look ... paulWalnut was only doing public service (almost like a good reporter would) by informing us of such rude creatures existing amongst us highly civilized folk ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2013, 03:18:32 AM »
in which case PaulWalnet should join me, because his Squirrel Images are much more....flagrant.
On second thoughts I think the Squirrel should be banned, not paulWalnut ... it was the rude Squirrel who was flashing his junk in public, taking advantage of (and deceiving us all with) his innocent look ... paulWalnut was only doing public service (almost like a good reporter would) by informing us of such rude creatures existing amongst us highly civilized folk ;D

Your right, I see my mistake now, My apologies to PaulWalnut, Ban the Squirrel !!

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2013, 04:15:54 AM »
Having seen the images of squirrels being severely bullied by birds of prey in previous months I think it's more likely the squirrels will ban CR.
 ;D

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »

The admins are pretty forgiving, if a banned member were to contact the Admins and discuss the issues and make a commitment to follow the rules, we would likely give yet another chance.  That has happened.  Some chose to burn their bridges by sending a bunch of name calling e-mails, which only serves to assure us that we made a correct decision.

It does not help his cause to have someone posting a one sided view on his behalf, it does not tell the whole story, and its not the place to discuss specifics about a member in any event.

A very good way to get a quick warning or a ban is by insulting members or CR administrators in a public post.  I try to remove insulting posts that directly call someone a name, but obviously we do not read every post and rely on members to report serious issues. 

the question is, was it the case?

or was it a just a sensible MOD who don´t like to be corrected and thinks he is always right?

i don´t know!
i don´t know why he was banned but from what was presented to me.. it looks that way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
Looks like the Admin CR Guy put a dress on PaulWalnuts Squirrel

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
Looks like the Admin CR Guy put a dress on PaulWalnuts Squirrel

Na, that looks more like a kilt of the McWalnut clan's  tartan.

It'll be paulwalnut done that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »