July 31, 2014, 03:46:33 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]  (Read 22922 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »
The Next DSLR? I’m told we’ll be seeing the 5D Mark III announced in October, with delivery shortly there after. I was not given any specs, which is probably a good sign.

We said originally, that the 5D Mark III would come before a 1Ds Mark IV or similar camera. Things appear to have come full circle and negate a lot of what I’ve been told this fall in regards to the 5D3.

Next Announcement Date? We have the middle of September, possibly September 13-September 15 timeframe for a few more PowerShots. Some folks don’t read the site all that well and have posted other dates quoting us.

We should see the S95 & SX30 successors.

G13? We have heard absolutely nothing about a new G camera. It’s genrally on a 1 year product cycle, which would make it due for replacement any day now.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »

alipaulphotography

Re: 5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »
That's what I'm talking about... :D

Polansky

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »
Although 5D2 is due for replacement so is the 1D MK IV and especially 1Ds MKIII.

Canon will certainly announce a pro camera far before the 2012 sports season, which includes the european championship soccer and the olympics.

That means Canon needs to have time to be able to supply all those thousands of sports photographers.
They will and have never done this just before such events, but always month before these events will take place.

Even a pro needs to get used to his new camera, even if it just has the same look and feel. Every camera is still very different.

Therefore my bet is that a 1D(s) replacement will be first, followed by the 5D3.
Unless we will see a 3D(s) first, which is very unlikely to be announced anytime soon.

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:36:25 AM »
What? Has Canon abandon their pro shooters? A 5D would not survive 2 months in the condition I shoot and my 1DII is getting very old. Yes I could get a IV but this time I'm hoping for a FF 1D or 1Ds.

It doesn't make sens that Canon announce a 5DIII before a new 1Ds...

What a bummer. I hope this is not how they will play it.

match14

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »
What? Has Canon abandon their pro shooters? A 5D would not survive 2 months in the condition I shoot and my 1DII is getting very old. Yes I could get a IV but this time I'm hoping for a FF 1D or 1Ds.

What conditions are those?

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:57 AM »

When it rains, I can't stop. When it's -45 degree Celsius in Siberia, I have to take shots. Than there is thise days when the camera is so dirty that I have to put it in bath and wash it with the shower before taking the lens off.

Of course I pay attention to the gear also. I don't expose it if I don't have too. But I'm never gonna loose a shot because my camera is too weak to survive it. In my case, a 5D is useless. Unless they put 45 point AF and complete weather protection to it.

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »
Shnookums, not everyone needs a Kalashnikov to take photos, but I am sure you'll get a new one soon!
Привет!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »

autochrome

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »

When it rains, I can't stop. When it's -45 degree Celsius in Siberia, I have to take shots. Than there is thise days when the camera is so dirty that I have to put it in bath and wash it with the shower before taking the lens off.

Of course I pay attention to the gear also. I don't expose it if I don't have too. But I'm never gonna loose a shot because my camera is too weak to survive it. In my case, a 5D is useless. Unless they put 45 point AF and complete weather protection to it.

Any recommendations for shooting in -45C temperatures? What gear do you use, and do you use any gear protection ? I'm having a trip soon and i'm sure i'm going to run into those kinds of temperatures, to the point of where i'm thinking in buying a 1DsIII and even then i'm not sure about the camera survivability or battery duration. Camera operator survivability is an issue as well.

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:13 AM »
Shnookums, not everyone needs a Kalashnikov to take photos, but I am sure you'll get a new one soon!
Привет!

I know not everyone needs this. Perfectly understandable too. But Canon needs to acknowledge that some people do need it. And they are way passed due on the 1Ds update timeline.

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »

Any recommendations for shooting in -45C temperatures? What gear do you use, and do you use any gear protection ? I'm having a trip soon and i'm sure i'm going to run into those kinds of temperatures, to the point of where i'm thinking in buying a 1DsIII and even then i'm not sure about the camera survivability or battery duration. Camera operator survivability is an issue as well.

Best recommendation I can do is keep battery warm. Store them in inner pockets and swap them often. The LCD of the camera will freeze too. So you can't really review pictures. At -45 it take a good 10 seconds for the image to appear on the LCD.

I don't use any protection but keep a plastic bag on you and seal the camera in it when you get inside. This will protect it from most condensation. I also try not to use flash. Because it produce heat and the temperature difference makes me worried it might crack the case.

Watch for blizzard and temperature change as this will affect the front of the lens and your ability to shoot. Ih and try not putting yourself in danger to much... I believe a camera should follow you and survive but even if a camera can survive it doesn't mean you will.

Be safe.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
I love how serious this post is getting. "Be safe". I've been up to 6088m with a 5D. Batteries had to live in my mountain gloves and gotta bag it before bringing it inside - Don't want condensation getting in. But it survived fine and dandy. Probably not quite -45 but it felt pretty damn cold!

Let's face it - all the cameras are overdue but canon will sell a lot more 5D mk III's than a new 1D/1Ds.

I guess we'll have to find out soon enough.

Freshprince08

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Double Take Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »

Damn... and I complain about English winters ;) And I never thought that showering with a camera would ever come up on a legitimate discussion forum....
www.double-take-photography.com | 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | EF 35mm f1.4L | EF 50mm f1.4 | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF 100mm f2.8 Macro | EF 135mm f2.0L | EF 17-40 f4L | EF 24-70 f2.8L | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 3 x 580EXii | 430EXii | BlackRapid RS-7 | BlackRapid RS-5 | ThinkTank Airport Security

keith_cooper

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
5D3 before a 1Ds3 replacement?

Nope, don't buy this, never have done...

Canon only have one DSLR without video, it dates from 2007, it has Digic3 processors - it's supposedly top of their range...

If CR says this October, then I'm inclined to go for it being the star of Photokina 2012 ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »

It doesn't make sens that Canon announce a 5DIII before a new 1Ds...

What a bummer. I hope this is not how they will play it.

I wouldnt be supprized if Canon's annoucements are much more bunched up this product cycle than they have been previously due to events in Japan. Idealy there going to want to leave a bit of a gap between them but if its a choice between that and getting pro's supplied before next summer I think they'll go with the latter.

Personally I think we'll see a new 7D mk2 much sooner than most people believe aswell.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
i believe this to be the most accurate rumour they will release the 5d mk3 plenty of xmas sales me being one :D and they will leave the big boys till a couple of months before the games and will sell plenty of those too :D
merry xmas to me :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »