October 25, 2014, 01:55:35 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]  (Read 23492 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: 5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
I have said in prior posts I fully believed the 5d would come out BEFORE the 1d or 1ds.  The 5d mark ii crushed 1ds3 sales due to the same sensor, fraction of the cost... I believed canon learned their lesson, release the new 5d first, then after 6 months or so (after the initial rush and hype has settled a tad), come out with an even better 1ds that would make peoples mouths water... that way people have the incentive to buy the 5d AND the 1d, rather than just the 5d. 

shnookums, dont be so quick about saying canon has abandoned the pro shooters... I'm a pro shooter and frankly, for what I shoot, the 5d would be a better tool for me that the 1ds.  Yes I would love to have a 1d in my lineup, but the results and quality of the 5d to the 1d, in final output, to me, doesn't justify the price.  Then to some, such as large agencies and corporations, perhaps the 1ds is worth it.  In the end, as pro, we get paid to know how to best utilize our gear to provide the best photos possible to our clients, no?  Being pro doesn't mean you always shoot with the best gear. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »
i believe this to be the most accurate rumour they will release the 5d mk3 plenty of xmas sales me being one :D and they will leave the big boys till a couple of months before the games and will sell plenty of those too :D
merry xmas to me :D

If Canon start releasing camera based on Christmas I'll be damned. Xmas doesn't mean anything for most of the population of this planet.

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »
I have said in prior posts I fully believed the 5d would come out BEFORE the 1d or 1ds.  The 5d mark ii crushed 1ds3 sales due to the same sensor, fraction of the cost... I believed canon learned their lesson, release the new 5d first, then after 6 months or so (after the initial rush and hype has settled a tad), come out with an even better 1ds that would make peoples mouths water... that way people have the incentive to buy the 5d AND the 1d, rather than just the 5d. 

shnookums, dont be so quick about saying canon has abandoned the pro shooters... I'm a pro shooter and frankly, for what I shoot, the 5d would be a better tool for me that the 1ds.  Yes I would love to have a 1d in my lineup, but the results and quality of the 5d to the 1d, in final output, to me, doesn't justify the price.  Then to some, such as large agencies and corporations, perhaps the 1ds is worth it.  In the end, as pro, we get paid to know how to best utilize our gear to provide the best photos possible to our clients, no?  Being pro doesn't mean you always shoot with the best gear.

I don't think it makes to come out with a 5D before a 1Ds. But anyway. I agree with you about the pro stuff. Being pro is not about the best gear. But I can't be pro if I can't take pictures. The 5D is useless for me, at least 30% of the time. I would never risk it. I would have to bring a 1D anyway even if I had a 5D around.

-zero-

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Personally I think we'll see a new 7D mk2 much sooner than most people believe aswell.

Who knows? the new rebel t4i? 650D will be announced next February like every year
if they do not have a new sensor to put in this camera (probably trickling down from a possible 7DII) they would have to use the 18mpx CMOS from the 7D a 5th time! (7D, 60D, 550D, 600D and 650D) or develop a new sensor for a rebel line (unlikely?)

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »

I don't think it makes to come out with a 5D before a 1Ds. But anyway. I agree with you about the pro stuff. Being pro is not about the best gear. But I can't be pro if I can't take pictures. The 5D is useless for me, at least 30% of the time. I would never risk it. I would have to bring a 1D anyway even if I had a 5D around.

I understand it depends on your situation and environment.  For what it's worth i've taken my 7d out in blizzards and rain storms and had it handle just fine (not that i'd risk having it out in those conditions unnecessarily for too long) but if the new 5d gets the same or better weathersealing as the 7d, it could make many people second guess the ruggedness of the camera...

To me, as a photographer, I couldn't care less about what camera comes out first, selfishly i hope for the 5d first because I can utilize that first, but as someone thinking from canon's shoes, in this market, in this economy, and times, lets say they release the 5d first... people flock to the stores and order them, back orders occur... profits go up... then they go and release the 1d that is incredible... those who have bought the 5d's start second guessing... do they need the 5d or 1d or both... maybe they want the 1d so they sell the 5d used, buy the 1d... in canon's pocketbook, that's 2 purchases from 1 photographer rather than 1 purchase... With that in mind, it makes perfect sense, from a business perspective, to do the 5 first. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
Following last weeks post regarding the speakers at the London Show in October the 5d mkiii seemed the obvious choice for release, with the 1D mkV / 1Ds mk IV next feb
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

rhysgray

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
the days of the 1d are over.
they are big, bulky, expensive, pointless and don't take better images.
the future leading canon DSLR's will be; a 7D, a 5D focussed on stills and a 5D focused on videography.
there is no need for another, larger, heavy camera in canons line-up. (possible exception of some 3D camera)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
i believe this to be the most accurate rumour they will release the 5d mk3 plenty of xmas sales me being one :D and they will leave the big boys till a couple of months before the games and will sell plenty of those too :D

If Canon start releasing camera based on Christmas I'll be damned. Xmas doesn't mean anything for most of the population of this planet.
your full of rubbish give me a link to some of your pictures to i see how PRO you really are lol and jeff ascough wedding photographer and eos professional shoots with 2 5d mk2 he prefers the smaller body and yes so there you go small boy

AlicoatePhotography

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »

Christmas is definitely something marketing types pay a lot of attention too.  You are absolutely right about the demographics, but there will be a lot more sales of cameras based on Christmas than on the European Championship Soccer or even the Olympics.  Yes, there will be a definite bias towards consumer models for the holiday, but I can't even imagine how many thousands of 5D cameras will be sold.  Compared with how many pros will actually buy a new camera for the Olympics.  (Note, I am not a religious person, but I have been in a BestBuy right before Christmas)

My personal opinion is that they will release 5dMKIII soon, because the 1D/Ds is not ready yet.  The new 1 series has to be very high end based on what Sony just released(OLED viewfinder, High FPS, Actual AF in video, ETC...).  Both for Video and Pro-sumer level.  Sony is who Canon needs to lose sleep over, not Nikon.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
Following last weeks post regarding the speakers at the London Show in October the 5d mkiii seemed the obvious choice for release, with the 1D mkV / 1Ds mk IV next feb

@gary: I am absolutely not aware of the significance of certain people at the London event for October 25-26. But as they claimed, it will be mainly focussed on wedding photography I said: 5Diii. And that's "my baby" ;-) Even though I am not a wedding photographer and far from any pro status...

@rhysgray: I'd go for the non-video 5Diii, would it ever materialize...that's a great point, but rather unlikely IMHO

Cheers and a premature Merry Christmas ;-)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:56:11 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

-zero-

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »

your full of rubbish give me a link to some of your pictures to i see how PRO you really are lol and jeff ascough wedding photographer and eos professional shoots with 2 5d mk2 he prefers the smaller body and yes so there you go small boy

turn down the flames dude, he said that he cant use the 5D because of the extreme conditions he shoots in, not because he is too "pro" for it and needs a 1D(s) body

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »

lol

turn down the flames dude, he said that he cant use the 5D because of the extreme conditions he shoots in, not because he is too "pro" for it and needs a 1D(s) body

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
the days of the 1d are over.
they are big, bulky, expensive, pointless and don't take better images.
the future leading canon DSLR's will be; a 7D, a 5D focussed on stills and a 5D focused on videography.
there is no need for another, larger, heavy camera in canons line-up. (possible exception of some 3D camera)

The days of the 1D isn't over, just the marketshare is now limited.  It's a different tool.  In extreme situations when you need a beast of a workhorse, the 1d is your tool.  For others who dont use cameras in such an extreme and volatile environment, the 5D and 7D may be perfect alternatives

Bornshooter, that was kinda over the top... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »

lol
lol

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
my apologise guys :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »