April 16, 2014, 06:37:07 PM

Author Topic: Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?  (Read 2837 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »
Hi guys,

A club I'm in is wanting to set up a computer for video editing, and we're likely going the Adobe Premier route.

I've read that Nvidia Cuda technology is taken advantage of with Premier.

Can ya'll recommend a video card that would give most bang for the buck? 

We have a used workstation we're trying to beef up. Starting with:

HP WORKSTATION Z400 1X INTEL XEON QC W3580
3.33GHz 12GB RAM 1 X 1TB HDD

Thanks,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »

docholliday

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
Any of the newest generation Quadros - you can use 1x Quadro K2000 or 2x Quadro K600 (Kepler core) in a box and get really good results. The 600's are pretty cheap, but the 2000's are still the best performance-price break. It all depends on what your budget is - a K6000 would perform best with it's 1500+ cores.

The older generation cards just don't have the number of Cuda cores as high, so the newer ones give Premiere more processing power. Too few cores, and it'll be faster processing via CPU than Cuda. Just stay away from ATI cards - they used to be good, but nowadays, they suck a coprocessing and are slower than sh*t. Plus, the OpenCL implementation isn't always successfully supported in software.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:37 PM »
In case you did not see this, it basically repeats docholiday's response.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/premiere-pro-cs6.html

Be sure to check the power requirements, you might need a amazingly big power supply which then means better cooling. 

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
I'm saving up for the Nvidia Quadro K4000. That should give a nice BIG boost to Pr/Ae. Although I'm not sure how much performance-boost it will give to Cinema 4D, which I plan to start using eventually.

docholliday

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »

Be sure to check the power requirements, you might need a amazingly big power supply which then means better cooling.

That's a definite! I run a PC Power and Cooling 1.2Kw in my box for procs, ram, board and video. There's another box externally plugged into my SCSI for storage that is by itself 1Kw.

The HP workstations should support 2x K600 or 1xK2000 with no problem, as long as you don't have a ton of disks in it. Keeping your 1x1TB would be ok. You might want to also consider adding a striped SSD array (2x256GB or 2x512GB) for capture/swap/rendering - it's one of the major bottlenecks.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 03:02:59 AM »
AFAIK, there's basically no performance difference betwen a super-expensive quadro card and a $150 geforce gaming card:
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

This may change with newer versions, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money without being sure it's not a stupid expense.

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:37 AM »
AFAIK, there's basically no performance difference betwen a super-expensive quadro card and a $150 geforce gaming card:

This may change with newer versions, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money without being sure it's not a stupid expense.

After reading this, I did some research and found the following.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/05/improved-gpu-support-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc.html

This does appear to open up a lot of cards, but it's not like the entire Quadro line is now outcompeted by a $150 card.

I'm looking at the GeForce GTX 680 as an alternative to the Quadro K4000, but I'm wondering if that extra 1GB of memory in the K4000 will increase performance by 33%.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:15:08 AM by dirtcastle »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:37 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »
The top end Quadro cards do make a massive difference especially if you have a machine that is high specs with regards to the other components (cooling, CPU etc etc).

I have a Quadro 4000 M and am always impressed by the results. When I bought the laptop the best Quadro was the 5010M but that was a lot more than just an extra US$ 1,000 or 2000 so I went for the 4000M

Same with anything, you get what you pay for.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

docholliday

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 04:54:56 AM »

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/05/improved-gpu-support-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc.html

This does appear to open up a lot of cards, but it's not like the entire Quadro line is now outcompeted by a $150 card.

I'm looking at the GeForce GTX 680 as an alternative to the Quadro K4000, but I'm wondering if that extra 1GB of memory in the K4000 will increase performance by 33%.

As a hardware engineer, developer and consultant (for 25+ years), I've heard that before from so many people - here's what it translates to: "I have a Chevy Cavalier that'll do 120mph. Why do I need a Corvette? I can run just as fast as them on the road.". Then, 1 hour later "I don't understand why my Cavalier blew up."

The Quadros are more stable, more efficient and have better drivers. They are for *creating* content, whilst the GeForce cards are designed for content playback. All the little gamers out there are screaming that their little gamer cards are just as good as the Quadro, but have dead cards 6 months later. They aren't designed to be pushed to the edge continuously - just in short bursts.

There's obviously more granular reasons why high end gear is what it's worth. I'd take a Supermicro workstation board over any Asus "workstation" board. I'll take SCSI and SAS over any SATA. I'll take ECC RAM over unbuffered. I'll take Panaflo, Nidec and Delta fans over any gamer box Thermaltake fan - faster, doesnt' fail and higher RPM capability. I'll take a solid rolled 16Ga steel case over some pretty plastic gamer case with windows - the shielding is better. And, I'll take my Wacom Intuos w/ mouse over any "high dpi" gamer mouse.

If you're playing around with your computer, then anything is fine. But, if it's something you want to rely on day after day, get the job done and the money made - buy gear that isn't designed for gamers. You don't want the vid card to be the weak link in your HP workstation - don't put cheap tires on your high performance car.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:04:00 AM by docholliday »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:04 AM »
Keeping your 1x1TB would be ok. You might want to also consider adding a striped SSD array (2x256GB or 2x512GB) for capture/swap/rendering - it's one of the major bottlenecks.

+1

Lots of RAM is good, a powerful GFX card is good, but it's all no use if you are using a slow bus, slow interface or slow disks, as a 1TB spinning disk will be.

I would get a couple of external SSD drives, or an SSD RAID, set up one as the render disk and one as the scratch disk.  Keep the 1TB as the system drive and nothing else, leave plenty of headroom on it.

One disk running the OS, running the application, and then chucking video into the processor for rendering and writing the rendered output is going to be slow and unstable no matter how good all the other links in the chain are.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 05:29:13 AM »
BTW if you can wait, then this monster may help:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/17/intel-leak-haswell-e-2014/

Intel leak reveals 8-core Haswell-E series desktop CPU for late 2014

6-and-8-core editions of the CPU, which can pack up to 20MB of L3 cache....

can support DDR4 RAM with a clock speed of up to 2,133MHz....

Mmmmm. Nice. :-)

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 11:28:37 PM »

You don't need a quadro though. Nvidia and Adobe are just in bed so they try to make it seem like you need a Quadro. There is a simple text file where all you do is type the name of your graphics card into it and then instead of just one or two non-Quadros, basically any reasonably powerful GeForce card works (of course you need to meet min memory requirements and such and a wimpy card could be slower than a good CPU, but a good GeForce helps a lot and costs a lot less than Quadros).

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »

As a hardware engineer, developer and consultant (for 25+ years), I've heard that before from so many people - here's what it translates to: "I have a Chevy Cavalier that'll do 120mph. Why do I need a Corvette? I can run just as fast as them on the road.". Then, 1 hour later "I don't understand why my Cavalier blew up."

The Quadros are more stable, more efficient and have better drivers. They are for *creating* content, whilst the GeForce cards are designed for content playback. All the little gamers out there are screaming that their little gamer cards are just as good as the Quadro, but have dead cards 6 months later. They aren't designed to be pushed to the edge continuously - just in short bursts.

There's obviously more granular reasons why high end gear is what it's worth. I'd take a Supermicro workstation board over any Asus "workstation" board. I'll take SCSI and SAS over any SATA. I'll take ECC RAM over unbuffered. I'll take Panaflo, Nidec and Delta fans over any gamer box Thermaltake fan - faster, doesnt' fail and higher RPM capability. I'll take a solid rolled 16Ga steel case over some pretty plastic gamer case with windows - the shielding is better. And, I'll take my Wacom Intuos w/ mouse over any "high dpi" gamer mouse.

If you're playing around with your computer, then anything is fine. But, if it's something you want to rely on day after day, get the job done and the money made - buy gear that isn't designed for gamers. You don't want the vid card to be the weak link in your HP workstation - don't put cheap tires on your high performance car.

Oh come on some of those gamers play day and night with games that push graphics card as hard as heck.
Quadros even used to be exactly the same cards, just with some features disabled through software (after that got hacked so much they put internal locking firmware, some may have more memory or extra running but there is nothing radically different about the HW).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:34:06 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 12:09:56 AM »
You don't need a quadro though. Nvidia and Adobe are just in bed so they try to make it seem like you need a Quadro.

The Quadro is faster, but I have a 4000M not because of Adobe, but because I frequently use Vegas Pro.

I have had machines without Quadro 4000M, that use GEForce or others and I can assure you that the Quadros are faster, especially if the rest of the machine is high spec.

Just between the 5010M and 4000M is a 30% real world speed difference, and the difference is amplified with the newer cards.

Your claim of there being little difference is a little like saying that there is little benefit buying a 1DX over your average P&S.

emko

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »
Quadro comes with drivers and firmware that are optimized for graphics applications not for games that's all your paying for that's why a Quadro cant run games like a Geforce.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »