August 27, 2014, 01:25:09 PM

Author Topic: Is it time to consider Sigma lenses seriously?? competitive to Canon?  (Read 33466 times)

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
I only put Canon lenses on my Canon bodies ... not
I only put Microsoft software on my Windows PC ... not
I only put genuine Ford parts in my Ford Focus ... not

wake up people.  A Canon body is a platform on which you can mount a whole slew of lenses: Tamron, Zeiss, Sigma, Tokina, Canon, Rokinon, you name it.

Canon lenses are generally awesome, but if you limit yourself to Canon lenses only then you are limiting yourself.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

wake up people.  A Canon body is a platform on which you can mount a whole slew of lenses: Tamron, Zeiss, Sigma, Tokina, Canon, Rokinon, you name it.

Canon lenses are generally awesome, but if you limit yourself to Canon lenses only then you are limiting yourself.

So exactly what non-Canon lenses do I need to purchase then to round out and complete my photography experience?  I'm clearly limiting myself.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile

just curious... what type of PC (Personal Computer) can you put MS software on?

bdunbar79

• View Profile

It doesn't matter.  If you don't buy third party stuff, you're just not getting the well-rounded experience of the technology you are involved with and using, even if that third party stuff sucks.  Get with it man.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile

It doesn't matter.  If you don't buy third party stuff, you're just not getting the well-rounded experience of the technology you are involved with and using, even if that third party stuff sucks.  Get with it man.

i actually do use third party such as yongnuo and carl zeiss as long as it either better or less price with about the same performance... just curious a little bit about that sentence :)

paul13walnut5

bdunbar:

Sigma do actually plug a few holes in other manufacturers ranges.  A canon 12-25 for example. The 50-500 is another.

They might not be holes in your range, or lenses that you want, I've had good and bad experiences with Sigma, but I've also had good and bad and some very bad experiences with Canon too.

Canon innovate and make great products, as do Sigma, neither get it right all the time.  I would say that where there is a comparable product, I would usually pay the extra for the canon over the sigma, and the sigma lenses I've enjoyed using most have been genuinely unavailable from Canon.

And for the other guys... I run Microsoft office on my macs, does that count?

bdunbar79

• View Profile
bdunbar:

Sigma do actually plug a few holes in other manufacturers ranges.  A canon 12-25 for example. The 50-500 is another.

They might not be holes in your range, or lenses that you want, I've had good and bad experiences with Sigma, but I've also had good and bad and some very bad experiences with Canon too.

Canon innovate and make great products, as do Sigma, neither get it right all the time.  I would say that where there is a comparable product, I would usually pay the extra for the canon over the sigma, and the sigma lenses I've enjoyed using most have been genuinely unavailable from Canon.

And for the other guys... I run Microsoft office on my macs, does that count?

paul,

The comment I was making fun of so vigorously, and will probably to continue to do so, is the one where if you don't have any third party lenses, you are missing out and not well-rounded.  I realize that there are good lenses, but if those are already covered by my Canon lenses, how can that be?  As if JUST BECAUSE I don't own third-party, I am so severely limited in my photography.

That's what's making my sides hurt.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

paul13walnut5

I get it bud.

My video work would be a poorer place without the Tokina 11-28 f2.8, and the lensbaby to an extent, but I do understand your point.  Some third party is crap like slow 7x-300 zooms costing £100, some third party is pretty exceptional like cp.2's.

All depends on your needs.  If you need you'll have.  If you don't you won't.

My needs are more fulfilled by third party, or more accurately, using third party when required.  My needs aren't yours. Broad church and all that.   If I used a full frame camera I would have 12-24 though. It was immense on my 3.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile

;D

gwflauto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
I am quite happy with my Sigma 35/1,4. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. The dealer told my to shoot as many pictures as possible, check if focus is ok, and he offered that I could return the lens without any reason within the next four weeks. He was positive, I would keep it, and he was right.

CarlTN

• View Profile

+1!!  Looks like some of the usual suspects have found someone else to pile on unfairly.

Frankly if anyone gets good results from third party lenses on Canon cameras, then who the hell are we to make fun of them?  The term coolaid drinker comes to mind in the above diatribe. 

Canon do make some great lenses, but so do other manufacturers, that's the bottom line.

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
Where I'm from, the market has spoken and the Σ 35/1.4 | Art, 18-35/1.8 | Art and 120-300/2.8 | Sport are all back-ordered with a few months-long waiting list, according to the authorized distro (and all 3 lenses are on my must-buy list). So my only other option is to buy it gray, which I'm reluctant to do. Even the USB Tuning Dock is not available currently.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
If you think so highly of third party lenses I must ask you to buy my Tokina ATX28-70 f/2.8 which although very sharp with my EOS1n and EOS620 cameras it is a nice PAPERWEIGHT on my EOS5Dx cameras.
So except for a case where I bought a Zeiss lens 3rd party is not an option. PERIOD.
Everyone who tries to tell me otherwise, they have to buy my nice Tokina paperweight first.

I was lucky to get rid of 2 Sigma lenses in part exchange in a shop.

I had a Tokina ATX 28-80 f/2.8 and it worked just fine on my 5dII and a 1DIV. While the lens worked fine, the images certainly did not stand up to scrutiny. If I chose to view at normal 35mm print sizes (4x6 or so), it would be OK I suppose. I even sent it back to Tokina and all was normal with the lens.

Not the same exact lens as yours and I haven't looked up the release dates of both.

I also own an EOS 620. First real camera I bought, brand new in 1987. I still have it but haven't used it in a long time. Regrettably, I sold off a minty 50mm purchased at the same time a few years ago.

If your 28-70 is from the late 80's, and doesn't work on camera equipment produced in the 2000's, I can't say that I would expect differently.

I am amazed that, for the most part, Canon EF lenses all seem to work with anything made from inception to present day. The exceptions seem to be current IS lenses mounted to early EF film bodies. As I understand it, the EOS 1-V is the only film body that can use all current specification EF lenses.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yes. We've seen some quite fantastic 3rd party glass this year.

Sigma 35mm 1.4
Tamron 24-70 VC
Tamron 70-200 VC - new version

That kit alone is a perfect replacement for canon stuff. Unfortunately for me, no 135mm f/1.8 IS yet....  ::)

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
^ i am waiting for a 135L alternative as well, hoping for something cheaper